PDA

View Full Version : OB-1 Shaft Question(s)

tjlmbklr
04-15-2006, 07:40 AM
I have played with the 314 and liked how it felt. It was easier to get the draw and I like the 12.75mm shaft diameter. Does anyone here have an opinion if the OB-1 shaft has a more solid feeling hit, and what’s with the ferrule, it looks a little different?

And the other thing I need to know, which will make or break whether I would buy one or not; is this shaft available in 30 inches? I could not find anything on the Internet regarding 30 inch OB-1's

wolfdancer
04-15-2006, 08:23 AM
The ferrule is made of laminated wood, each layer cut at opposing 45 degree bias. I guess that solves the compression problem with wood.
I can get more sidespin with the ob1,with hardly any compensation, compared to my 314....I was showing this to a top player here, and when he tried it...it played like his Z shaft for him.
Give Royce a call, re the 30" length....shouldn't be a problem.
I think it's an adjustment though moving from the 314 to the OB1....and I haven't entirely made the switch yet....I use my 314 for tournaments...

Sid_Vicious
04-15-2006, 08:46 AM
My experience and I find it still true today, is that the OB1 REALLY gives ton's of response much better than the 314. When i first got the OB1, I was amazed at how I was over stroking my draw shots with the simplest of effort. yes the hit is firmer but it's also muffled for lack of a better word. It does not feel like you hit the CB near as much as the response delivers in return.

The ferrule is all wood and lighter than the synthetic ferrules, and this in itself adds to the beauty in the hit IMO. You get to not even noticing the cosmetics of the look, plus it's a conversation piece, mainly though the thing hits so damn well. I would not even consider the 314 for this kind of money, OB1 all the way. Royce would probably be the one to answer the 30" question...sid

Sid_Vicious
04-15-2006, 09:13 AM
"I think it's an adjustment though moving....and I haven't entirely made the switch yet....I use my 314 for tournaments... "

wolfdancer...I don't mean to thread crap here but I must give you my opinion. I'd dedicate to the OB1 and not play with anything else. I have two PH buddies who got this shaft, one is emphatic that you should make the switch and not vasilate(sp?) back to anything else, and his game is much bigger to begin with than the other player. The other player has primarily used a 314 and has basically given up on the OB1, my guess is that he is not patient in taming down his OB1(he never really gave it time)and he doesn't like to lose with the thought it was the shaft. The rewards of adjusting to the OB1 and giving up the 314 is simply far too valuable IMPO. Jm2c...sid

BillPorter
04-15-2006, 09:40 AM
Hey Sid, I recall reading a post, some months back, where the guy said that he could feel the glue lines in the OB-1 shaft. You know, the places where the pieces are joined together. Can you confirm or deny that from your experience or from what you may have heard?

Sid_Vicious
04-15-2006, 10:32 AM
What do you mean "feel?" Physically or hit-wise? Either way, I've not found neither to be my experience, and I inspect this shaft under a labratory microscope(anal I know) intermittently. I'd be interested in reading that post, so pass it to me if you find it. I'm open minded to further inspection. One thing to add, I'm breaking with this shaft all the time, partly to prove it out, partly cuz my breaker shaft needs a tip and I never have it here at home when I get the urge to replace the one that came loose. I have a second OB1 coming soon for the Woodworth, plus a new cue in entirety from Royce with the OB1(2 shafts as well.) Really anxious for the new custom!!! I'll have quite the sample to experiment with soon. Hoping the new cue and extra shaft is done by my birthday in May...sid

tjlmbklr
04-15-2006, 11:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> One thing to add, I'm breaking with this shaft all the time, partly to prove it out, partly cuz my breaker shaft needs a tip and I never have it here at home when I get the urge to replace the one that came loose. <hr /></blockquote>

You break with it? Doyou break pretty hard? That is a good selling point for me; see whenever I went to the bar(pub,tavern, whatever) I always broke with a house cue, and not my Predator. I was under the impression from a post I thought I read that these sticks or should I say ferrules (314, Z) could not take the constant abuse of very hard hits. So I was going to just use my stock Josey shaft at the bar and the 314 or OB-1 for league and tournys, whichever I decide on that is. After all, I only play for fun at the bar.

BillPorter
04-15-2006, 11:13 AM
Sid, it took me half an hour to find this, so you owe me big time! :&gt;) I think it is about the fourth post down on this page from AZ Billiards: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=24643&amp;highlight=ob-1+shaft

So what do you think is going on with his shaft???

Sid_Vicious
04-15-2006, 12:37 PM
If the bar tables have something other than those mud balls, I'd break with it if I wanted. I'll probably break with a different cue when I get the new shaft finished, but who knows. I will add that I heard a story of someone locally who had the ferrule break down, and I know fairly well that he plays bar boxes. I choose red circles.

Id personally play off the wall at bars, or maybe take a plain SP of mine and blend in. Using a seperate break stick in a bar is probably something I'd do rarely, cash might change that on the spot though...sid~~~hasn't wagered more than beers in a bar in a long time

Sid_Vicious
04-15-2006, 12:50 PM
Still not feeling any surface smoothness as the poster suggested on AZ, I am solid into this shaft. It is my guess Royce's shafts will be in the mainstream even bigger as time goes on. I happen to know the guy so that probably adds to my promo cyz he's overly attentive and fair compared to other builders I have met, just like when he renewed the OB1 I had destroyed on the highway in less than 2 weeks and then cut the price. Royce said, "I figure you had enough bad luck you deserved a break." I like people like that...sid

BillPorter
04-15-2006, 03:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Still not feeling any surface smoothness <font color="red"> (I guess you meant any LACK of surface smoothness) </font color> as the poster suggested on AZ, I am solid into this shaft. It is my guess Royce's shafts will be in the mainstream even bigger as time goes on. I happen to know the guy so that probably adds to my promo cyz he's overly attentive and fair compared to other builders I have met, just like when he renewed the OB1 I had destroyed on the highway in less than 2 weeks and then cut the price. Royce said, "I figure you had enough bad luck you deserved a break." I like people like that...sid <hr /></blockquote> [

Wolven
04-16-2006, 09:30 AM
I have 314, Z and Ob-1 (12.3 &amp; 12.75). I think OB-1(12.75) is heavier than 314 at the tip. The ferrule will take all kids of abuse. I would not worry about the cream color.
The feel of OB-1 is better than the Predators. One problem with Predators is they get dinged easily and do not standup to any abuse.

However, the Z shaft creates more side spin and it is more precise than OB-1. Also the deflection of OB-1 is greater than Z but it is the same as 314. The OB-1 is much easier to adjust to than Z. While I like OB-1 shaft the Z is better for it offers more precision. A couple of months ago I hated Z shaft and could not use it now it is my choice.
Of course the Z is not for everyone and I would expect a lot of people give up on it prematurely.

wolfdancer
04-16-2006, 12:13 PM
Sid, thanks for the input. I know the OB1 plays a litlle better then the 314....I'll just have to bite the bullet, and make the switch.................soon

SPetty
04-17-2006, 03:07 PM
I like the OB-1 shaft so much I have two of them and am thinking about getting a third.

I was a Predator user before (I have five, maybe six Predator shafts), and the OB-1 shaft is tons better than the Predator. It hits better, it looks better /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif and it plays better. It even creates less cue ball squirt than the Predator.

As mentioned before, the company is great to deal with, and they'll work with you on the remote possibility that you have any kind of problem.

I think I've read here that someone ordered a longer shaft, so I don't think that's a problem, but it's best to call or email Royce. There are email links all over the www.obcues.com (http://www.obcues.com) web site. Check out the construction of the shaft on that web site if you haven't already.

The shaft is awesome.