PDA

View Full Version : Music Trigger The Zone?

Sid_Vicious
04-15-2006, 01:16 PM
You ever been playing normal to struggling, mood is funky for you for maybe being tired or outside life turmoil...and something comes on the music box in the PH that takes you into the zone? Most of the times for me it's a meaningful lyrics reminding me about Mom, a brother who's left us way too early, old GFs, or innocentt childhood. Other times it is simply "The Blues" or a serious rock-to-rockibilly tune. You ever had that magical mood change due to a spontaneous song?

We've had a thread on songs we like to play with but I wanted to see if these karma-like moments has induced a temporary zone...sid

ryushen21
04-15-2006, 01:22 PM
Yes it does happen. at least to me it does. I was is in a PH the other day and was shooting ok but not great. Then someone put on a string of Stevie Ray Vaughan and i just locked in and shot lights out.

Stretch
04-15-2006, 02:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ryushen21:</font><hr> Yes it does happen. at least to me it does. I was is in a PH the other day and was shooting ok but not great. Then someone put on a string of Stevie Ray Vaughan and i just locked in and shot lights out. <hr /></blockquote>

ZZ Top, Led Zeplin, or Queen does it for me. St.

dg-in-centralpa
04-15-2006, 05:09 PM
I've never had it happen but I'll try it.

DG - loves music

DSAPOLIS
04-15-2006, 06:14 PM
To get into "The Zone", one must understand what "The Zone" actually is. The Zone is an altered state of conciousness, much like hypnosis. I have written several articles in the past about the zone, and I contend that there is no way to "force" your way into the zone, but you can create an atmosphere or a pattern of thoughts and other factors that can create an environment that will lead to optimal performance. Here is a link to an excellent article written by Dr. Costas Karageorghis, who is a very respected British Sports Psychologist.

Entering The Zone: A Guide For Coaches (http://www.thesportjournal.org/1999Journal/Vol2-No3/costas.asp)

I recommend reading the entire article (great stuff in there), but here is the portion that deals with the subject of music and optimal performance.

The Power of Sound
Music has the ability to inspire, motivate and relax the competitive athlete. Choosing the "right" music is dependent upon what you wish to gain from the listening experience: if your goal is to psych-up, it is advisable to select upbeat music with a strong driving rhythm and lyrics that reinforce what it is that you are trying to achieve. For example, "Eye of the Tiger" (Survivor), "You're Simply the Best" (Tina Turner) "A Kind of Magic" (Queen). Conversely, if you want music to control your pre-competition anxiety it can be both sedative and inspiring at the same time. For example, "One Moment in Time" (Whitney Houston), "My Heart Will Go On" (Celine Dion) or "Easy" (Lionel Richie). Either way, rather than have specific pieces of music imposed upon them, athletes should be encouraged to make choices which reflect their own musical preferences.

Sid_Vicious
04-16-2006, 05:47 AM
It's all an atmosphere of melancholy when the zone comes to me in pool. I'm here to tell you today...the last zone of mine seems so long ago I can't even remember the year. Not THAT'S sobering in itself. Maybe there should be a thread started asking, "When was the last time you were actually in the zone?" Is it important to acknowledge you are missing finding it? Seems to me that something must be out of place if the zone has disappeared for long periods of time...sid

dg-in-centralpa
04-16-2006, 06:40 AM
Sid,
I reached the zone last Thursday in league. During practice, my cousin was running me off the table from every safe or shot I left him. He won six out of 8 games. Once league started, I was matched up with him and beat him two out of three. I was in the zone for the wins I had, but I couldn't get it for the third game which I lost. I got to the zone I think more out of anger that I didn't win more games in practice, so I wanted to show him that I could play.

DG

Sid_Vicious
04-16-2006, 06:46 AM
"I got to the zone I think more out of anger"

Reminded me of my last zone now that you mentioned it. I didn't "like myself" afterward and promised to never play angry again. Tricky mental sport we have...sid

tdurden87
04-16-2006, 11:09 AM
Classic rock does the trick for me. Especially "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey. Some music has the opposite effect though. Blasting loud rap music certainly 'makes' me play below my average.

wolfdancer
04-16-2006, 05:57 PM
Great link....thanks !!!!!

DickLeonard
04-17-2006, 05:02 AM
Blackjack I have always said playing good pool is a dance routine. Played to your favorite beat, every move is to be choreographed, remembering that Ballet Dancers are the most physically fit of all atheletes. Nothing is done without a routine, to chalking the cue,stroking the ball etc. Every move is given a conscious effort till it becomes a natural movement.####

CaptainHook
04-17-2006, 07:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> Blackjack I have always said playing good pool is a dance routine. Played to your favorite beat, every move is to be choreographed, remembering that Ballet Dancers are the most physically fit of all atheletes. Nothing is done without a routine, to chalking the cue,stroking the ball etc. Every move is given a conscious effort till it becomes a natural movement.#### <hr /></blockquote>

Pool is all about Rhythm. All the bands you guys are taliking about (SRV) etc etc. Have a great Rhythm section.

kevinkins
04-17-2006, 07:33 AM
Music and pool go together for so many since (as in my case) it's only recently we have tables. So much of our pool was played in a bar with a juke box. In my younger days the bands were like Tom Petty, Boston, Skynard etc ...
So all those types are loaded in the CD player in my pool room downstairs. I've also come to like blues and pool ... Stevie Ray and Buddy Guy. Some music I like but can't play pool too are U2 and Pink Floyd. I'd rather sit and listen and it becomes distracting to my pool game when some specific bands are playing.

Kevin

Chopstick
04-17-2006, 08:25 AM
Is that with or without shoes on, Studly? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

bsmutz
04-17-2006, 09:25 AM
I'm not sure about being in "the Zone" or not, but I definitely feel more confident and loose during some songs. It also seems like I play better on Friday and Sunday nights when the local radio stations have their blues programs on. I call it being in the groove. When I am playing in a bar or pool hall and someone puts on that head banger/rap type of stuff (can't really justify calling it music in a lot of cases), it definitely can be disturbing. When I shoot, I usually try to block it out of my mind, but still wonder if it has an affect. It just gets my nerves all jangly and tends to make me feel kind of angry, kind of like if someone were banging randomly on a trash can lid.

ryushen21
04-17-2006, 09:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bsmutz:</font><hr>When I am playing in a bar or pool hall and someone puts on that head banger/rap type of stuff (can't really justify calling it music in a lot of cases), it definitely can be disturbing.<hr /></blockquote>

That's why i always carry my iPod with me wherever i shoot. And i also have a playlist on there specifically for shooting pool.

theinel
04-17-2006, 11:47 AM
Getting angry at an opponent during a match often causes my play to improve but it is quite different from what happens when I get into "the zone" (which I only achieve rarely). The zone is usually peaceful and involves the rest of the world fading away whereas the angry zone usually has me swearing under my breath and seething the whole time even while shooting. I think that what they share is that my conscious mind gets out of the way of my body and just lets it play pool how it's been trained to. Unfortunately I too have often commented to myself after the angry zone that I really don't like myself much when I'm in that mode.

Back on topic, some music, Led Zeppelin in particular, definitely does something similar for me. Getting the right music on at the right time is just about impossible though unless you go with headphones and a portable player which I have never been able to get use to.

Brick_Top
04-17-2006, 01:16 PM
I cannot miss when James Brown is playing!

Deeman3
04-17-2006, 02:18 PM
1. Werewolves of London
2. Like a Rolling Stone
3. The Weight
4. The Night they Drove Old Dixie Down - The Band Version

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9_Ball_Junky
04-17-2006, 11:43 PM
Music does seem to do something for me, but i have also used it as a slight advantage at times due to the fact i know the music i like that puts me in the "zone" is vastly different from a lot of the older generation of people i shoot with. my best shooting comes when i walk my happy (or unhappy, depending on my shooting) @$$ to the jukebox and put on some of said "headbanging stuff" which some dont consider music. for some reason, most of the time the faster and louder the music is, the calmer i get and the better i shoot. favorite songs of all time to shoot to, contrary to my statements up top.......Skynyrd: Simple man; anything eric clapton, and willie nelson: always on my mind.........kind of a wierd mix for a 21 year old, but its what i grew up on.

PcE
J