PDA

View Full Version : Balls

jimhs
04-15-2006, 02:04 PM
Hello
I'm new on here, and was glad to find this site. I have played pool off and on for about 30 years. I live in a small town in Eastern Oregon. I recently took up the game again with my two brothers and have been having a heck of a time with a certain aspect of the game I was wondering if anyone on here had ever experienced? There is a tavern in town that has a table that they rent by the hour. It is an older coin table but has had the coin mechanism removed and they rent it for $2.00 an hour. The balls that are used with this table are older and I don't know what they are made of. I play really, really well on this table using the older balls. When we go anywhere else and play on a table that has the newer balls, it is like I have never played pool in my life. I have played at five other places in town and the results are the same. It is like I am playing for the first time in my life. I can't sink a simple straight in shot three feet long on the tables using these newer balls, but I can go right back to the place with the older balls and play lights out. What really bothers me is that nobody else seems to experience this problem. Do you think it is a mental thing, or could there be something going on between the two different balls? I have no idea what modern balls that are used on pay tables these days are made of, nor do I know what the older balls at the one tavern where I play so good are made of, but they are definately different materials. When I rub two of the newer ones together it seems like they have grease on them compared to the older ones that you can rub together and actually feel the friction between them. I sure would like to hear from some other players and get their opinions as to what could be going on with me. Thanks to anyone who would care to comment on this.

Jim

Rich R.
04-15-2006, 06:36 PM
You may want to move this question to the main forum, to get a little more activity and a possible answer. Of course, forum activity may be a little slow this weekend anyway.
Have a good holiday, whichever one you are celebrating.

Billy_Bob
04-16-2006, 02:29 AM
The balls have probably been on that table for many many years and are worn down in size and weight.

The best thing would be to take up a collection and get new balls for the table. Then learn to play with balls which are regulation size and weight.

Then you will be able to play elsewhere and not notice much difference.

The best balls for a heavily used bar table are the best you can buy. This is because they will last longer, so they are less expensive in the long run. Get Super Aramith Pro balls and an Arimith "Tournament" magnetic cue ball which is sold separate. (Bar tables need a magnetic cue ball so it will come out the right end.)

Search google.com for super arimith pro