PDA

View Full Version : Teaching methods which work for "bar players"

Billy_Bob
04-16-2006, 04:48 AM
We all know those players who can't shoot and will not ask for, or listen to, advice on how to play better. Well I did a little experiment...

At my local bar/pool hall (small town), there is a stand for magazines which usually has pool related publications people have brought in to share with others.

Three months ago, I left a copy of a BCA rule book there and one month ago a copy of Dr. Dave's book.

The BCA rule book was stolen, so I replaced it with another. Then Dr. Dave's book was stolen and I replaced that with another copy. I intend to keep replacing them as needed. (Third copies I will wire down.) Anyway the 2nd copies have remained there.

Amazing things have happened over the past month...

-A couple of bar players have purchased gloves to play with. (This is a big step for these guys as it is not "macho" at all to wear a glove. After a lot of ribbing, the other players have accepted this.)

-Some bar players are now playing by BCA rules. Tonight I went to the bar and they were playing BCA rules on *both* tables.

-When I go to the bar, I'm getting more and more questions asked about what the BCA rule is for this or that.

-A bar player made a shot and called a foul on himself for a double hit! (I almost fell out of my bar stool that they have finally learned this! He asked me if he was right, and I was speachless. Took me a while to recover and say yes it was a double hit.)

-I am seeing "peace signs" used before shots are made by some of the players.

-Players are slowing down with their speed of shooting.

-A lot of player's games are improving.

-I saw two bar players have a safety battle playing BCA rules tonight. This was an amazing sight. Two players who previously slammed the heck out of the balls shooting slow safeties! This is a very *radical* change for playing in this bar!

When I first left the books there, I noticed that the only players looking at them were the best players. So I was disappointed. But lately I have seen not so good players sneaking peeks at Dr. Dave's book. (It is not considered "macho" to be seen reading books I guess.)

Anyway you can't tell these guys ANYTHING nor will they ask for help. Some of them fought tooth and nails switching a tournament we have to BCA rules (As bar rules are "real pool rules", etc.) But now some are starting to like BCA rules.

I think they have never been exposed to the proper way to play before. Leaving the books there - they are eating it up!

There is no place to buy billiard equipment anywhere near. So I also left a couple of billiard catalogs there. They really like those - looking at cues mostly. Again, never been exposed to this stuff before.

I think I might leave the book 99 critical shots there next.

MacGyver
04-16-2006, 04:56 AM
Let me know where you are so I can steal that copy of 99 shots... been wanting to read that for so long but can't really afford...i would *LOVE* for someone local to share or leave it at a local place... would be so awesome to be able to come in and learn without paying extra...

edit: I just HAD to post this...

My school library apparently can order 99 critical shots for rental, OH YEAH!!!!!

I'm ordering it and checking out whats else is availible right now!

THanks for this post and mentioning it, I wouldnt have thought to check the library if not for your post!

Cornerman
04-16-2006, 05:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy_Bob:</font><hr> Three months ago, I left a copy of a BCA rule book there and one month ago a copy of Dr. Dave's book.

(snip the great results)
<hr /></blockquote>

I think I might have to try this. And if it works out, I'll take all the credit.

How do you intend to wire the book?

Fred

dg-in-centralpa
04-16-2006, 06:43 AM
Check Ebay for "99 shots", I got mine for $4 plus shipping.

DG

Billy_Bob
04-16-2006, 11:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cornerman:</font><hr>
I think I might have to try this. And if it works out, I'll take all the credit.

How do you intend to wire the book?

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

I was thinking of using an electric drill to drill a small hole in a corner of the book(s). Then attach a string or wire from the book to a hook on the wall or whatever.

Sort of like the pens at cash register checkouts except a longer string/wire so it could reach a chair - sit and read it.

Billy_Bob
04-16-2006, 11:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MacGyver:</font><hr> ...My school library apparently can order 99 critical shots... <hr /></blockquote>

Good point!

Many libraries (school or public) can and will order books you specifically request.

If it is a high school library, they may be so delighted a student wants to read something, they may just chip in with their own money.

I know a few educators, and they will try anything in the "book" to get students interested in reading.

So just ask!

Also used books (on anything and everything) can be found at the following link for fairly little money. Use the sort by price feature. Some books are only $1 plus shipping.

Used books...
http://used.addall.com

Scott Lee
04-17-2006, 08:01 AM
Billy Bob...Many copy stores have a machine that will "punch" a clean hole through even 100 pages. I'd do that before using a drill.

Scott Lee

theinel
04-17-2006, 12:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MacGyver:</font><hr>
My school library apparently can order 99 critical shots for rental, OH YEAH!!!!!

THanks for this post and mentioning it, I wouldnt have thought to check the library if not for your post! <hr /></blockquote>

MacGyver,

I'm not sure if this is what you are talking about but there is a something called the InterLibrary Loan Service which allows any library to temporarily borrow books from other libraries. You can get just about any book that isn't very rare through this system. It's a free service but sometimes you have to wait a while to get the books.

Deeman3
04-17-2006, 02:20 PM
I still think the best method of teaching bar players is to speak slowly, ask them if they are as as out of focus as they look and then beat them out of their money.

Deeman
O.K. it doesn't work every time.....

SPetty
04-17-2006, 03:40 PM
Billy_Bob, that is a cool story and I think that's great that you're so generous with your fellow players. And, I think it's great that they seem to be availing themselves of someone so helpful.

TimFXF
04-17-2006, 05:36 PM
Ditto SPetty's sentiments. As fo me; I'd be happy if there was a way that I could get the players of my local bar box to play BCA rules... or at least have the table open after sinking a ball on the break. Oh brother! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Billy_Bob
04-18-2006, 09:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TimFXF:</font><hr> Ditto SPetty's sentiments. As fo me; I'd be happy if there was a way that I could get the players of my local bar box to play BCA rules... or at least have the table open after sinking a ball on the break. Oh brother! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I think what did it for us was to have BCA league and that taught many of the players BCA rules. Then next was switching a money tournament to BCA rules while having a bar rules tournament on a different night.

Now the players can see the difference between bar rules and BCA rules. And I keep pointing out to them how BCA rules are more fair, how BCA rules have been around since the 1940's (they are nothing "new"), and that these rules have been written by the best players in the world. These folks know what fair play really is.

Also I point out that those who like to cheat prefer bar rules and don't do well when playing BCA rules. And they can see this for themselves playing the different tournaments.

So they are starting to see the light.

MacGyver
04-18-2006, 11:20 PM
Just wanted to say, yes it is a university library and yes it is an inter-library loan type situation.

Got it today however(Illinois University libraries have own system and generally books come in a couple times a week I think, I ordered it early monday morning and must have been put on a truck or whatever right away).

Anyone have any other must-have billiard books I can order(they seem to have a ton, but I'd rather not order a bunch of basic ones, first 60% of 99 critical shots seemed to be pretty basic things, only the straight pool, and how to use throw on carom/combo shots really seemed super useful, as well as some interesting uses of the cushion and different breakout shots)

I definatly improved my straight pool game though today, spent about 6 hours going through the book and actually managed to use some of the cluster shots in my straight pool runs!

Billy_Bob
04-20-2006, 06:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MacGyver:</font><hr>...Anyone have any other must-have billiard books I can order...<hr /></blockquote>

Here is my favorites list. Some of these are old and out of print and may not be available anywhere...

8-Ball Handbook for Winners - Schwartz
Dainty Billiards How to Play the Close-Cannon Game - Reece
Eight Ball Bible - Givens
How to Hustle Your Friends at Pool - Tully
How Would you Play This - Fels
Illustrated Principles of Pool &amp; Billiards - Alciatore
Position Play in Three Cushion Billiards - Robin
Pro Skills Drills Tim Daniel and Dominic Esposito
Shots, Moves, and Strategies - Robin
Tavern 8 Ball for Fun and Profit - McKernan
The 99 Critical Shots in Pool - Martin
The Black Widows Guide to Killer Pool - Lee
The Great Break Shot - Bond
The Hustler's Handbook: How to Play Pool for Fun and Profit - Allen
The New Illustrated Encyclopedia of Billiards - Shamos
Winning One Pocket - Robin

Good but not billiards specific...
Sun Tzu: The Art of War (Strategy in general)
The Theory and Practice of Gamesmanship - Potter (Sharking for any game)

tjlmbklr
04-20-2006, 07:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MacGyver:</font><hr> Let me know where you are so I can steal that copy of 99 shots... been wanting to read that for so long but can't really afford...i would *LOVE* for someone local to share or leave it at a local place... would be so awesome to be able to come in and learn without paying extra...

edit: I just HAD to post this...

THanks for this post and mentioning it, I wouldnt have thought to check the library if not for your post! <hr /></blockquote>

This is the first book I ever had; a gift from my ex. It is a great book to about half way trough then it just gets redundent. I like the method they teach for one rail banks, it is still my favorite method of banking. After you read the beginning shots the rest will all make sense, and it is more so a good book for straight pool.