PDA

View Full Version : Help with advice for fellow players

9_Ball_Junky
04-18-2006, 12:46 AM
alright, im new to the forums, old to the game. i've been playing pool, quite literally, since i could drag a chair around the table and stand on it to shoot.

my father grew up with a snooker table in his garage, and between him and my mother, who spent entirely too much time in bars in her younger days, i acquired a shot that allows me to be competitive with an older, more experienced crowd, with me generally ending up the victor in most matchups.

my problem is, i have a lot of friends who like to shoot, but havent really been taught by anyone, and with me being more in their age bracket, it seems they find it easier to ask me for advice on how to improve their shot.

however, this has proved rather difficult for me, as i find it hard to put into words the way i see a pool table. i look at a table after a break and can plan every shot out. i cannot seem to explain a lot of the shots and angles i see to anyone else, as i do not generally use the dots for my shots, i just see the angles and shoot them.

any advice on somewhere i could send my friends online for explanations of how to understand the geometry and such required to make good shots consistently? any help would be appreciated without having to send my friends to an instructor, which my town seems to be rather short of.

Thanks,
J

Leviathan
04-18-2006, 04:07 AM
You might suggest that they check out the Normal Video clips and Instructional Articles at Dr. Dave's site:

http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/

Good stuff. Dr. Dave posts here often.

PoolSharkAllen
04-18-2006, 08:44 AM
Bob Jewett has a nice collection of instructional articles at:
http://www.sfbilliards.com/misc.htm

Billy_Bob
04-18-2006, 08:45 AM
You are shooting with something called "muscle memory". That is, you shoot the same shot a zillion times, then you can just walk up to the table and "see it". It is just there - obvious.

Same as learning to shoot a basket in basketball. First attempts are way off. Then with practice, you start to make baskets or at least get closer.

One way to explain to others your way of shooting is to have them place the cue ball and an object ball on the table and mark the spots with chalk. Then shoot the same exact shot over and over and over 50 or 100 times. Then the person will be quite good at that particular shot. They will just "see it".

The thing with you is that you have shot all sorts of different shots zillions of times, so you see them all.

There are aiming methods for beginners like ghost ball, etc. which are discussed in books on pool. I would tell them to get a book on pool at a new bookstore in the sports or games section. This will help them get into the ballpark with aiming for their shots.

Also if they can afford it, the very best thing would be to go to an instructor.

Stretch
04-18-2006, 10:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9_Ball_Junky:</font><hr> alright, im new to the forums, old to the game. i've been playing pool, quite literally, since i could drag a chair around the table and stand on it to shoot.

my father grew up with a snooker table in his garage, and between him and my mother, who spent entirely too much time in bars in her younger days, i acquired a shot that allows me to be competitive with an older, more experienced crowd, with me generally ending up the victor in most matchups.

my problem is, i have a lot of friends who like to shoot, but havent really been taught by anyone, and with me being more in their age bracket, it seems they find it easier to ask me for advice on how to improve their shot.

however, this has proved rather difficult for me, as i find it hard to put into words the way i see a pool table. i look at a table after a break and can plan every shot out. i cannot seem to explain a lot of the shots and angles i see to anyone else, as i do not generally use the dots for my shots, i just see the angles and shoot them.

any advice on somewhere i could send my friends online for explanations of how to understand the geometry and such required to make good shots consistently? any help would be appreciated without having to send my friends to an instructor, which my town seems to be rather short of.

Thanks,
J <hr /></blockquote>

J, i understand your quandry, and certainly applaud your efforts to help out your shoot'n buddy's. Just as an asside from the very good advice and links already mentioned, it's worth knowing that by virtue of your letting them compete with you they will absorb an awful lot already. I often wish that when i was a novice there was a handy mentor that shot lights out pool. Would have shaved YEARS off the learning curve.

One of my favorite Pool Player quotes was from Hall Of Famer Buddy Hall who when asked why he didn't give lessons or teach. He said "because i don't know what i'm doing" lol So your in pretty good company /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Yes, so along with providing them with a great resource like here and az, the best thing you can do is give them enthusiasm, charge them up and have fun with it. A good teacher not only teaches, they inspire. Do that and you'll get some good players out of the bunch. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif St.

9_Ball_Junky
04-19-2006, 07:44 PM
thankx for all the help, and i have passed the advice on to a couple of my fellow shooters. it is greatly appreciated, and now i know ive got somebody (s) to turn to when [censored] like this comes up.

thanks again
PcE
J