PDA

View Full Version : Over Saturated In Practice

Sid_Vicious
07-06-2002, 06:33 AM
I sometimes find that the game of pool works best when it is allowed to work basically by itself. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about the zone. What I mean is that this obsession to "perfect" oneself draws hints and techniques from outside sources, books, videos, remembered fundamentals that used to fix things, and yes, this board. The "killer shortstops" I've known seem to "just play" the game and they do not hang onto advice and instruction, like they became self taught and their game is special. I am beginning to admit to myself that I too am an over-studier of this game, and remember vividly some grand instances of my game where nothing I ever learned from a book or saw on a video came to my aid, I just played.

I have made a personal decision to back away from saturating myself in the game when it comes to both learning and practicing. I think people need to find the time when they are basically finished being a student and begin to be the player. It's my firm belief that we probably think and study way too much...sid~~~is taking the summer off from organized pool as a first start

Doctor_D
07-06-2002, 06:41 AM
Good morning:

As with any type and/or level of learnig, the mind and the body need time to process and digest all the new informatioin which has been obtained. Scheduled, as well as unscheduled, vacation days are essential to the learnibg process.

Dr. D.

Tom_In_Cincy
07-06-2002, 06:43 AM
Sid,
A good book about the mental side of competing, is "Golf is not a game of Perfect"
It covers just about all the issues you have stated and more.

While you are taking a break from all the info that is 'saturating', please take some time to read this wonderful book about golf and the stories about the golfters.

Sid_Vicious
07-06-2002, 07:06 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, and yes I do have a lot of reading to catch up on from books already in the house. I'm sure that I'll find the golf book on Amazon. The basic observation I was making was that I continue to see local cueman huddled together swapping advice and hints, and very few of them have really progressed with their games over all this time. It made me think, "Is it time to turn off the learning valve and just play the game? You could call me pool nut, and I admit to being guilty of wanting EVERYTHING in knowledge about pool, BUT is it detrimental beyond a point???sid

Tom_In_Cincy
07-06-2002, 07:16 AM
Sid,
I have never gotten too much information.. only not enough time to digest it all an put it into practice. There's that word again.. Practice.

When I do learn something new.. and after 37 years of playing, I still learn something new almost weekly.. Practice is the only way to put into production, what you have learned.

I do like to practice.. always reinforcing what I already know and incorporating new concepts into my practice routine.

I have recently incorporated more banking drills and have been challenged by trying 'extreme' shots. massive cuts or reverse rail banks.. all challenging.. keeps me on my toes and makes my practice time very interesting for me.

Its a matter of how you want to approach your time at the table. Do you want to just play? Do you want to experiment? Do you want to compete? Do you want to improve? Which do you want the most?

Wally_in_Cincy
07-06-2002, 07:28 AM
Howdy Sid,

I think Tom and Dr. D. both make good points. About a year ago I quit practicing regularly for a few months, not by choice but by circumstance. The time off allowed my game to "gel". Instead of constantly trying to incorporate new things into my game I just used what I had learned to that point.

Take some time off, just enjoy playing for awhile. Within a few weeks (or less /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif) you'll be itchin' to get back to learnin' all those new tricks that Tom spoke about.

Karatemom
07-06-2002, 11:14 AM
Hi Sid. Even though I understand you are trying to get away from studying this game, there is a great book out there that I think really helps you get away from analyzing the game. It's called Point the Way by The Monk. I am still reading it, but it deals with not thinking. Hope this helps.

Heide ~ also guilty of analyzing my game

stickman
07-07-2002, 03:03 PM
Sid, I won't back away from my practice, but will say that sometimes I think many of us are guilty of overthinking the game. When I am really shooting good, I don't have a lot of concious thoughts about the execution. I think practice is what allows me to simply execute without having to analize my every move. I've been guilty of reading about something new and wanting to try it. The bad thing about picking up new ideas or techniques is that it almost always, at least temporarily, sets your game back during the learning or transition period. When I'm trying to execute a new idea or technique, I find myself thinking my way through the game. Like you I'm about to leave well enough alone and simply work to execute the techniques I have to the best of my ability. When I'm unable to progress any further, then maybe I'll start experimenting again. The only part of my game, I feel a great need to change is the mental part. I have the book, "The Pleasures of Small Motions" ordered and can't wait to get it. For the time being, the mechanical changes are done.