PDA

View Full Version : bringing my own cue to bar

vinnie717
04-18-2006, 03:38 PM
Nearly every weekend night and random nights during the week i go up to my local bar/bowling alley to play pool or just hang out with some of my friends. When one of my friends that backs me playing pool is there i play for him and split the pot 50% but my question is should i bring my own cue to hustle people and play for money since the sticks there are terrible and very hard to put english on. So should I bring my own or not??

bsmutz
04-18-2006, 04:10 PM
Yes, you should.

Stretch
04-18-2006, 04:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bsmutz:</font><hr> Yes, you should. <hr /></blockquote>

If your going to hang around in bars playing Pool, sure get your own stick. But get a cheap one that still hits good. You don't want anything that stands out, or is too flashy. Understated, or even cheap looking works best around drinkers and if it walks away, or gets busted your not out much. St.

BLACKHEART
04-18-2006, 07:00 PM
I think you should bring a bodyguard, because if you're going into bars to HUSTLE, eventually you will get your lights punched out. Hustling is when you are much better than everyone else &amp; you pretend to be bad, then turn it on &amp; win. NOT A GOOD IDEA...JER

Drop1
04-18-2006, 07:01 PM
A cheap Chinese cue with a new tip, is a thing of wonderful potential. Now if you are not having trouble beating the locals with the house cues,don't change anything.

walt8880
04-18-2006, 07:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BLACKHEART:</font><hr> I think you should bring a bodyguard, because if you're going into bars to HUSTLE, eventually you will get your lights punched out. Hustling is when you are much better than everyone else &amp; you pretend to be bad, then turn it on &amp; win. NOT A GOOD IDEA...JER <hr /></blockquote>

Agreed. Hustling in a poolroom is dangerous enough but hustling in a bar with some unsuspecting drunks is a good way to get hurt. I would bring my own cheap cue, a large friend with a larger gun, and my medical insurance card and be sure to wear running shoes.

MacGyver
04-18-2006, 11:21 PM
This is stupid, but try bringing along 2(a 13mm and a 12mm) "slip-on" tip from walmart with you.

I've found them very easy to keep in a cargo pocket or jacket pocket(I have a little carrying case actually).

They aren't the best but they are *usually* way better than the house cue tips. They are shaped already and will hold chalk and can put english on the ball.

they are small, but can convert any house cue into something at least playable with minimal "tells" to anyone.

I keep some with me just in case I'm without a cue, you can turn anything that will fit in them into a decent stick.

CaptainHook
04-19-2006, 06:54 AM
I would bring a sneaky pete with you. That is what they are made for.

BigRigTom
04-19-2006, 08:28 AM
Vinnie if the stick is THAT IMPORTANT to your winning in THOSE SITUATIONS then my suggestion would be to STOP getting into those situations until the stick is no longer THAT IMPORTANT.
If the guys here tell you the truth, the ones who are good enough to hustle in bars and pool rooms will be able to win those games shooting with a tree limb or broom stick.

It will not make any difference which stick they are shooting with.

hondo
04-19-2006, 08:33 AM
My man, that's what sneaky petes were made for.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote vinnie717:</font><hr> Nearly every weekend night and random nights during the week i go up to my local bar/bowling alley to play pool or just hang out with some of my friends. When one of my friends that backs me playing pool is there i play for him and split the pot 50% but my question is should i bring my own cue to hustle people and play for money since the sticks there are terrible and very hard to put english on. So should I bring my own or not?? <hr /></blockquote>

Deeman3
04-19-2006, 12:08 PM
First and foremost, if you are a quality player the stick won't make that much difference. If you are only a good cue from winning, you're not really hustling many people.

Second and more importantly, just go in and tell them you're the best player since Mosconi and you'll have plenty of players trying to prove you wrong. In the end, they can't be near as upset as when you lay down then beat them out of the cash. P.S. This second strategy helps if you are a little disliked anyway. It helps to cultivate this personality. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

If you do need your own stick, just pick out a good one in a bar, buy it from the owner and take it to the bar you play in. They'll be happy to keep it behind the counter if you're a regular. About 99% of all this is a good tip anyway.

Deeman
build a smart assed reputation, they will come......

KuyaBob
09-16-2006, 04:20 AM
Hustle means doing anything it takes to win. Just make sure you use a house cue when you do, then make sure the joint has a rear exit and the bathroom has no bars on the window when you can't pay your dues.

kd5kfl
09-16-2006, 09:08 AM
WARNING! WARNING! DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

Dude, I gotta tell ya. I'm a robust lad - 6'0, 225 pound weight lifter cleverly concealed in the body of a 300 pound roundboy. Blessed with a face that makes people back up and hide their kids behind them. "For God's sake, shut up, George. He looks crazy".

You would be amazed at how often things like this happen:
"Hey ( accusation that I have been intimate with the speakers mother ) I'll play you for that stick"

When I point out the obvious fact that I already own the stick,
"Hey ( accusation that I have been intimate with the speakers mother ) I'm gonna kick your ( well known posterior organ ) and take that stick"

Even if it's a $15 dollar funky clunker. Some people think that because they know one sucker punch, I'm one sucker. And they are going to get famous by kicking the big dumb ( accusation that I have been intimate with the speakers mother )s ( well known posterior organ ). Yeah. That works.

Don't take a stick into a bar unless you have the skill and the will to bust heads, and deal with the aftermath.

One trick I learned: I travel extensively in my job. Visit pawn shops, buy good pool cues. Sell them to my friends for what I paid for them. Any bar I go to, someone there is playing with a stick I sold them. When it's my turn, someone hands me a stick. I get to play with good wood without having to carry it around.

Snapshot9
09-16-2006, 02:35 PM
Perhaps I am becoming an 'elitest' in my old age, but I only play in Pool rooms, and not bars and/or bowling alleys that have Pool tables as a sideline (thought those went out in the 70's). Bars are just too much trouble, especially on the weekends, and any place you go will have to be busy to have someone in there to hustle. Playing in a bowling alley just doesn't appeal to me at all.

If, by some wierd chance I do end up in a bar, it is because the bar has a GOOD paying tournament that I can win, and usually has 3 or more tables, and I go to play the tournaemnt, not to drink, or listen to some off-note Karoake afterwards.

I just say any other environment than a true Pool room just isn't comfortable to me anymore.

poolturtle
09-18-2006, 09:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
First and foremost, if you are a quality player the stick won't make that much difference. If you are only a good cue from winning, you're not really hustling many people.
<hr /></blockquote>

I gotta go with Dee on this one. Unless you're playing in a place that has pool at the bottom of the list of activities ("we've got bowling, poker, slot machines, and...oh yeah...we've got a couple of pool tables in the back corner") you should be able to find a decent house cue.....

Here's a tip, don't worry about the exact straightness of the stick. Look at the tip (no pun intended there /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif) If you'll watch, at least 90% of the guys who play in bars NEVER look at the tip. They pull a stick off, roll it across the table, and then start playing. Your tip is 99.9999999% of your game, in my humble opinion.

Also, unless the regulars in the place carry their own stick, you're going to stick out in the crowd. And most amateur's first mental reaction to a guy with his own stick is "Damn, this guy has his own stick, he must be good" Which in effect kills most of your chances for money....unless you're willing to give up a huge spot.

Sneaky pete's are good as long as the joint is blended well. You just have to be clever on how you get it in the building. I play with one as my regular stick. Not to hustle with, but just because I picked it up on the cheap, and a friend retipped it for me. It plays well, so I've just never switched off of it. I don't hide the fact that it's my personal cue, though.

My advice is to find a really good tip shaper. I have a It's George shaper. It's small, (It just about fits in the palm of your hand) so you can slip it in your pocket on your way out the door. I just pick out the house cue with the best tip on it and fine tune it with my shaper.

Sorry this was so long, but that's my 2 cents worth.

dave
09-19-2006, 11:56 AM
I personally like Big Rig Tom's response. Any halfway competent money player isn't going to be fooled by a bar stick or intimitated by a personal cue. Your stroke mechanics and pattern play are far more accurate indicators of your skill level. League play takes place in bars and there are TONS of good players in bars that have, and bring, their own sticks. I play regularly in BOTH bars and poolrooms, and this business about where you find the better players is nonsense, in my opinion. Gambling and negotiating fair spots is okay, but "hustling" is merely petty thievery perpetrated on the inexperienced and a good way to get hurt. It's nothing to be proud of. If it's done as a matter of survival, that's one thing; but usually it's more about ego than money.

tdurden87
09-19-2006, 01:30 PM
I've also heard of getting a wal-mart cue and putting stickers on it and etching your name in it. It gives your opponents a feeling of playing a unexperienced player.