PDA

View Full Version : Keith McCready Book

BillPorter
04-19-2006, 04:40 AM
I seem to recall, from a couple of years ago, that a book on Keith's life as a pool player was "in the works." Does anyone know the status of the book? I'm pretty sure it would be a good read if you like pool stories as Keith must have a million of them.

Rich R.
04-19-2006, 08:22 AM
Check your post on AZB. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Jam is the best source for this information.
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=30617

BillPorter
04-19-2006, 08:32 AM
You are certainly correct! Here is what she had to say on the AZ forum:

"Well, I guess I know a little bit about the status of Keith's book!

Truth be told, Bill Porter, when Keith and I decided to tackle this huge endeavor of writing his life story, I was enthusiastic and couldn't wait to get started.

We both devoted many hours to the project as a whole, and along the way, some kind souls donated some older pool periodicals to help us get everything chronologically right, which is difficult since there truly is no pool archives available. Most of pool's history can be heard by word of mouth, but there's not much documented, though I did manage to get my hands on a variety of pool media, beginning in the early '70s.

I have read some pool books in recent times which were very entertaining to me personally, full of colorful stories and fun to pore through. However, these books can be understood by those within pool's culture because most of us do know all or most of the characters. It is my hope that Keith's story will be a good read to those INSIDE and OUTSIDE pool's culture, which is truly a very tough undertaking.

It would be easy to self-publish an abstract collection of stories, but that doesn't cut the mustard as far as I'm concerned. My mother always said if you're going to do something, do it right or don't do it at all, and that's exactly why Keith's book is a work still in progress. I hope it will be worth the wait when it's all said and done.

JAM"