PDA

View Full Version : using a bridge without marking a shaft

07-06-2002, 06:48 AM
Back in the 60s I never learned to shoot properly with a bridge. I would try to line up bridge shots so I could stroke them about the same as I would stroke shots without using a bridge. I would get behind the shot. Line it up. And maybe lean into it. So my rear arm would have my elbow up with my hand below it. Like an underhand stroke or regular stroke.

Then a couple months ago I read the messages about how your stroke should be similar to how you would throw a dart. So I tried it. I would have my hand above my elbow. I sort of kept my elbow tucked in. So my hand would remain above it while I stroked the shot. Like an overhand shot. In just a couple days I had knicks and dings all over my shaft. More then I had previously gotten in all the years I played pool. They were definitely the result from me using the bridge in this new overhand, dart style method of stroking while using the bridge. I even have one or two dings on my new cue.

After 2 days because of all these dings and marks, I stopped my overuse of the bridge. Then on tv I saw one of the ladies shoot a bridge shot. She use the dart style of stroking with the bridge. But she didn't keep her elbow below her hand. Her elbow was more out to the side. Sort of keeping her hand to elbow parallel over the table. Like using a sidearm way of stroking. So I tried this. And again I quickly noticed more dings. So I again stopped overusing the bridge.

Are either of these dart like ways of stoking correct?
Is one more correct then the other?
If so which? The overhand or sidehand way?
Or does it all depend on the shot?
And does the fact that I get all these dings and marks mean I'm still using the bridge incorrectly?

Do some of you use a bridge less then you should to avoid getting your shafts marked up?

Tom_In_Cincy
07-06-2002, 07:09 AM
I use the dart style with the elbow out and my hand infront of my chin.. always have..

I think one of the keys to using the bridge is also a very good habit to get in for jacked up shots:

Always make sure you take very controlled practice strokes. You might be amased about how easy it is to make this types of shots if you prepare by taking these practice strokes.

JimS
07-06-2002, 07:11 AM
I bought a leather bridge and carry it with me. It slips on the shaft of a cue, a house cue maybe or my break stick, and that solves the problem of the cheap sharp-edged bridge.....or no bridge available at all.

Being a gadget nut I also have an extendable telescoping portable bridge stick, and the new Justa-Bridge, and another leather bridge head here at home, and a Cue Reach....but they're hard to carry, and thinking of having an extension made for my break cue.

07-06-2002, 07:18 AM
Jim gave u u rsolution. LEATHER BRIDGE is ur answer. No matter what you do ur shaft will get small nicks and dents from using plastic or metal bridge, I also carry one of those leather bridge. How about using a house cue for the bridge shot then? That'll prevent ur cue from any damge.

07-06-2002, 07:23 AM
Thanks for the tips. I remember seeing a hard foam bridge on ebay for about $5. Supposedly it won't leave any marks on your cue. And maybe I will use my older cue when I shoot bridge shots. I use it to break with.

Sid_Vicious
07-06-2002, 07:41 AM
I use a wall cue or my break cue when using any metal bridge heads. Otherwise I seek out a plastic head and use the stroke/stance that Allison uses, and I've become much better with that shot. Dings aren't a real problem BUT I usually use a secondary cue when I have one available. Try copying Allison's style and see if you don't improve on both fronts...sid

Rich R.
07-06-2002, 07:43 AM
Eddie, I purchased one of the hard foam bridges from AZBilliard's market place. $4.99 new.
I don't particularly care for it. The cue does not slide easily on it.
JMHO. Rich R.

07-06-2002, 07:49 AM
Rich.
Thanks for saving me some money.

Wally_in_Cincy
07-06-2002, 07:58 AM
I have a Corona leather bridge head. Find it here.

http://tigerproducts.com/accessories.htm

Works good but just one problem. The last time I removed it from my breaking stick my tip came off with it /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif. It's a good product but be careful.

JimS
07-06-2002, 08:09 AM
Muellers also sells the leather bridge head. www.poolndarts.com (http://www.poolndarts.com)

stickman
07-06-2002, 10:09 AM
I use the same bridge shooting style as you Tom. Our pool hall has one white plastic bridge head that is about 1/4 inch thick. I don't think this one will damage your cue. When I need to use a bridge, I seek this one out. I don't like to use the metal ones.

Chris Cass
07-06-2002, 10:26 AM
Hi Eddie,

Unfortunatly, a lot of rooms have these metal marvel bridges. You use them, and there brutal on your shaft. Throughout, the yrs I've been playing and get stuck having to use these tortureous devices. I've learned to place a dollar bill over the bridge while using it. That way I don't ding the shaft. I also use the dart method, which is traditional.

It works and you can show off too. Just give the bridge a flip up and the bill folded in half, will slide down the shaft to you. hahahaha I get more of a kick out of it that anyone else. I think it's cool. hahahahaha I only do that if there's little kids watching. They get a kick out of it.

Regards,

C.C.~~not a bad idea to get a bridge head. have to put it on your brak cue so, you don't forget and leave it at the ph. lol still I don't own one. hahaha

Tom_In_Cincy
07-06-2002, 10:45 AM
WE really have it good here, in the local PH.. all the tables have two bridge cues (one on each side of every table) all are made of thick plastic. The Pool hall owners have eliminated one of their pet peeves of other pool halls. They Hated to have to search for a bridge.. so they made them available at every table.. Good Owners...

The also keep plenty of Masters Blue chalk available

Very Clean restrooms.. (so clean, that I have heard the ladies comment that they are cleaner than some restuarants)

Power is available in 'cloth packets' you just apply a touch to your hand.. and put the packet back into the plastic bag. No messes..

The house cues are Cutec and are only a $1 for the evening..

SPetty
07-07-2002, 12:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rich R.:</font><hr> Eddie, I purchased one of the hard foam bridges from AZBilliard's market place. $4.99 new.
I don't particularly care for it. The cue does not slide easily on it.
JMHO. Rich R. <hr></blockquote>Hi Rich,

I don't know if it's the same one or the same type that you're referring to, but I use a hard foam bridge head exclusively. I don't have any problem with the cue not sliding easily on it. It works great for me, and I am not concerned about dings and dents in my playing cue. I recommend it to any and all.