PDA

View Full Version : Canvas Resin tip; what do you know about it?

tjlmbklr
04-20-2006, 08:01 AM
I have an opportunity to purchase a J/B cue at a reasonable price. But it has a tip that I am not formiliar with, so with the permission of the seller (I hope) I am doing some research, only becuase I am the <font color="red"> </font color> KING of impulse buying. We are all familiar with phenolic; so what is the story with Canvas Resin?

Cornerman
04-20-2006, 01:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tjlmbklr:</font><hr> I have an opportunity to purchase a J/B cue at a reasonable price. But it has a tip that I am not formiliar with, so with the permission of the seller (I hope) I am doing some research, only becuase I am the <font color="red"> </font color> KING of impulse buying. We are all familiar with phenolic; so what is the story with Canvas Resin? <hr /></blockquote>When you read "Canvas Resin," for tips, I assume it's a Canvas PHENOLIC. Phenolic comes in many flavors of fibre binding, and canvas is one of them, as is linen, cotton, and paper. Canvas phenolic has about the same hardness and compressive strength as linen phenolic, which might be what you're used to.

My Gilbert J/B has a canvas phenolic tip, as does my Jacoby Jump Cue. If it holds chalk any better, it's marginal.

Fred

Sid_Vicious
04-20-2006, 01:50 PM
I'm making a guess that it is the same as the Lucasi JC tip. When looked at magnified, you see what looks like woven cloth ebbedded in it(most likely the same as fiberglass for boats and the such.) This tip on the Lucasi is God-like, better IMO than the bungee tips. Jm2c..sid