PDA

View Full Version : Who are the billiard instructors for the pros?

Billy_Bob
04-20-2006, 01:04 PM
Which billiard instructors have had some of their students go on to become winning pros?

Name of instructor ----------- Name of student/winning pro
etc.

Bumps
04-20-2006, 02:14 PM
Jo-Ann Mason Parker....Harvey Mason and Gene Nagy.

wolfdancer
04-20-2006, 04:41 PM
I'd guess that Jeanette Lee had a lot of help from pro Bobby Hunter, her first husband. She also used to be at Chalkers in Emeryville,Ca...and while there were plenty of good players there, and the house pro was Billy Aguarro (spellin?)she paid her dues with a lot of practice, and worked hard on her game.
AND dealt with serious, painful back problems...scoliosis,I believe.

Fran Crimi
04-20-2006, 07:19 PM
What do you mean by 'instructor'?

Someone who teaches another person for free?

Someone who gets paid, and for how long? One hour, one month, one year, five years, ten years?

This isn't golf. There's no rainbow at the end of the tunnel. Why would someone spend thousands and thousands as golfers do, to hire a teacher to help them win so little? Forget the IPT. That's new.

Fran

Scott Lee
04-20-2006, 09:06 PM
Fran...tap tap tap! LOL I think this is another search for the "miracle cure"!

Scott Lee

Bassn7
04-20-2006, 09:40 PM
I'm confused Fran. I know there are numerous women Pro tour players that use Mark Wilson for training and guidance. An excellent instructor, teacher and friend of mine.

PoolSharkAllen
04-21-2006, 03:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy_Bob:</font><hr> Which billiard instructors have had some of their students go on to become winning pros?

<hr /></blockquote>

Billy Bob: What would be the relevance of this question?

Deeman3
04-21-2006, 05:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PoolSharkAllen:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy_Bob:</font><hr> Which billiard instructors have had some of their students go on to become winning pros?

<hr /></blockquote>

Billy Bob: What would be the relevance of this question? <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Same sort of agenda laden questions you get from guys who try to justify not using an instructor, trying to imply that instruction is not of value, or simply nothing better to talk about. </font color>

Deeman

Fran Crimi
04-21-2006, 06:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bassn7:</font><hr> I'm confused Fran. I know there are numerous women Pro tour players that use Mark Wilson for training and guidance. An excellent instructor, teacher and friend of mine. <hr /></blockquote>

That's why I asked what he means by 'instructor.' Taking a student all the way to pro level is not the same as having someone come to you for guidance. That's a lot more occasional.

I've given guidance to pros before. So what? Besides, that's between me and them.

Show me a player who invests thousands and thousands of dollars on a full time teacher so they can win a few hundred after expenses, and I'll show you a fool.

Fran

pooltchr
04-21-2006, 06:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr>
Show me a player who invests thousands and thousands of dollars on a full time teacher so they can win a few hundred after expenses.

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

On the other hand, there are many who have spent a few hundred, and probably gotten a return on that investment in the thousands.

And by the way, thank you for respecting the privacy of your students.
Steve

DickLeonard
04-21-2006, 06:42 AM
Fran when someone asks me do I have advice for his young son I always tell him yes I have "Play Golf".####

Lester
04-21-2006, 07:17 AM
Oh My God! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif You mean to tell me that all the money I've been losing er I mean giving to Earl Strickland isn't "Tuition" like he said? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Billy_Bob
04-21-2006, 07:18 AM
Thank you for your answers to my question Bumps, wolfdancer, and Bassn7.

Qtec
04-21-2006, 08:16 AM
If a top player asks me, "Q , you're a good player /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif but I,m better. If I was to take a lesson from you , what could you teach me about the game".
My reply would be,
" Probably nothing!...but I might be able to teach something about your game".

Qtec...

Billy_Bob
04-21-2006, 08:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> If a top player asks me, "Q , you're a good player /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif but I,m better. If I was to take a lesson from you , what could you teach me about the game".
My reply would be,
" Probably nothing!...but I might be able to teach something about your game".<hr /></blockquote>

I have always been one to ask questions. And many times these are questions some people might consider to be "dumb" questions. But it never fails! There is always someone else in the crowd who does not know the answer and would also like to know.

And I have learned a lot from this. I'm not afraid to ask questions. Sometimes people are helpful and answer my questions. Other times there are people who will not give anyone the time of day. Most people are helpful though.

Anyway there is a somewhat beginning pool player who I can usually win against. He will not even play me anymore. But he is friendly to me and we talk about pool and stuff frequently.

Well he told me about a "nip type shot" which he found on the internet. I had never heard about this shot, so I asked on azbilliards.com Well lo and behold there are all sorts of related shots to the one he told me about! Learning this will be a big help to my game as well as many others who have read that thread.

So that beginning player has taught many players (better than himself) a potentially game winning shot! I thanked him by copying what I learned from the thread and sharing that information with him.

And I'll share it with you too. Here is the thread...
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=29965

sofy60
06-10-2006, 03:23 PM
Go find the best player you can find and play pool with him everyday. The pros themselves are the best teachers. They are the masters of the game. They grow by playing each other. At the pro level I think a shrink or a massage therapist or a better personal life may have a bigger impact on playing better at that level. Getting johnny archer fired up about winning is probably his biggest obstacle as its purely mental toughness that prevails at his level.

randyg
06-10-2006, 03:49 PM
Sofy60: That's the worst advice I have seen....SPF-randyg

pooltchr
06-11-2006, 06:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sofy60:</font><hr> The pros themselves are the best teachers. <hr /></blockquote>

So if I want to learn to play golf, I should get Tiger Woods to teach me. I would have thought his coach would have been a better choice.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Steve

caedos
06-13-2006, 06:08 AM
Butch vs. Tiger = no contest. Give me Butch Harmon.

PoolSharkAllen
06-13-2006, 09:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sofy60:</font><hr> Go find the best player you can find and play pool with him everyday. The pros themselves are the best teachers. They are the masters of the game. They grow by playing each other. At the pro level I think a shrink or a massage therapist or a better personal life may have a bigger impact on playing better at that level. Getting johnny archer fired up about winning is probably his biggest obstacle as its purely mental toughness that prevails at his level. <hr /></blockquote>

Sofy60, I'd have to disagree with your comment. While you can always find exceptions, I think that most professional players would not make good teachers. Teaching takes a lot of patience and it also takes skill to identify a student's problems and help correct them. Just because they are a pro doesn't mean they can teach well.

wolfdancer
06-13-2006, 09:49 AM
Carl, I'd bet though, that if Tiger was an instructor, he'd be one of the best...he wouldn't settle for mediocre. Good story recently in GD by butch about his Dad Claude.

recoveryjones
06-13-2006, 10:25 AM
Bert Kinister claims to be the teacher for Niels Feijen and Tony Robles. I know Niels believes highly in what Bert is doing because he appears as a gust shooter on 3 or 4 of his instructional videos.I've also heard of pros going to Mark Wilson,Jerry Briesath and Randy G.

I've heard that Jennifer baretta takes lessons from Tony Robles.

A lot of these pros who go to an instructor keep it top secret however as they don't want other too know or perhaps they don't want there competition to know of the great benefits they've recieved. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
RJ

DickLeonard
06-14-2006, 06:10 AM
caedos Tiger can't hit a drive in the fairway. When I was playing all the time I never missed the center of the fairway. In the 10years I played steady I never lost one golf ball. I did spend a lot of time searching for other peoples balls tho.####

Cornerman
06-14-2006, 07:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sofy60:</font><hr> The pros themselves are the best teachers. They are the masters of the game. <hr /></blockquote>These two statements aren't mutually inclusive. The pros are the masters of their game. But, an master instructor's excellence is in observation, diagnostics &amp; communication.

Fred

Brian in VA
06-14-2006, 10:13 AM
Well said Fred! Tap, Tap, Tap!

Brian in VA

Cueless Joey
06-14-2006, 12:52 PM
Hal Mixx and Jerry Breisath come to mind.

One instructor who messed up pros games?
Some Colliding Spheres nut, I heard. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif