PDA

View Full Version : What is the best billiard felt?

BrakenRun
04-20-2006, 01:48 PM
I need to get new felt on my new table at the house and don't know which felt to get. I have been looking on the web and there are a lot of options. I prefer a fast cloth if I have a choice. What are your opinions of the strengths and weakness on some of the felts, such as Simonis, Championship, Mali, Mercury, Gorino? I have a Dynamo 7' coin operated table. Thanks for all you help and looking forward the everybodies advice. Kevin Clanton
kevinclanton@sbcglobal.net /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Deeman3
04-20-2006, 01:54 PM
Brakenrun:

At the risk of insulting everyone here, as I did last time this question was asked, there is no felt on a billiard table but you might try Simonis for the speed but some of the other you mention might be more durable for a bar table application.

Deeman
yep, I just FELT like it

ryushen21
04-20-2006, 02:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> there is no felt on a billiard table but you might try Simonis

<hr /></blockquote>

Absolutely right Deeman. Cloth is what goes on a pool table although i have seen a few tables that had what looked and playe dlike felt on em. Simonis is pretty much the standard. It plays really well and as long as you aren't playing on it continuously for 8-12 hours a day it holds up pretty nice too.

Bumps
04-20-2006, 02:11 PM
Felt don't go on pool tables. Simonis, by all means.

Tom_In_Cincy
04-20-2006, 02:12 PM
Cloth and Felt are the same thing when referring to what covers a pocket billiard table.

Lots of knowledgable players have referred to the cover using either term.

What is even more questionable is the use of 'pool' instead of pocket billiards. 'Pool Hall' is a term used to describe the place where pocket billiards is played. Check out the history of billiards sometime.

To answer your question about what cloth to use, if you play on a league that plays on bar boxes (another term for 7 foot tables) you might want to ask the owners of the different bars what they use to 'cover' the slate on the pocket billiard table.

If not, I like Simonis.

Sid_Vicious
04-20-2006, 02:19 PM
It does get funny don't it Tom...always felt vs cloth, potato vs potatoe.

Table cloth/felt by my standard should be Simonas brand, 860 in particular. This assumes you are not setting up a juvenile rec center(it'll be destroyed and it's to costly for that early death), but want quality and durability over time...sid~~~calls all places I play a PH except for home table and Dairy Queens w/boxes

ALLENJK
04-20-2006, 02:31 PM
I'll agree with the masses on this - Simonis. Although I went with Championship on my GC III because it plays slower. I have a much harder time adjusting to a slower playing table than a fast one.

BrakenRun
04-20-2006, 02:33 PM
Thanks Tom ! I am glad somebody caught on. The green stuff that goes on top of the billiard table and just below the billiard balls. LOL Kevin /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Deeman3
04-20-2006, 02:35 PM
Tom,

We all know you are correct that people have referred to cloth as felt for a long time, "Green Felt Jungle", etc. and even some suppliers label it as such but I suspect because people often ask or search for it under that term.

I just wish someone would offer me $150 for a piece of felt to cover a pool table. I would be well within my rights to sell them some screened felt and, maybe, they would not notice the difference. If it doesn't matter, it doesn't matter........a guy could be known as Tom_in_Cincy but that would not put him in Cincy no matter how often it appeares. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Deeman
felt up once....

wolfdancer
04-20-2006, 05:14 PM
Well, as I have so often pointed out to the linguisa here (or is that linquistic) pros here
among the 500 uses for felt, that the Boston Felt Company lists..... pool table felts
AND if you can't trust the Boston Felt Company...who can you trust?

web page (http://www.bostonfelt.com/uses.htm#P)

When a word has been in common usage for some hundred or so years....I think it might be good form to group all pool table clothes as "felt"....sort of like my metal "woods"
AND if you are going with "fast, no nap felt"...why not go with Gorino, which invented "Simonis" style cloth(1835) Granito.....,long before Simonis even thought of outsourcing their needlework to, well, wherever they do?
Go with the original, I always say
that's why I stick with IBM-DOS instead of MS-DOS

TimFXF
04-20-2006, 06:49 PM
While we're on the subject... As someone who has the "house" Olhausen on his table, what's the real "playing" difference between the cloths/felts/pelts? I'm interested in the diff between the Simonis 760 and 860 - and Mali and Forstman, Brunswick, or whoever...

BooBoo
04-21-2006, 07:31 AM
I just got my wife a 7' valley table. The cloth on it is shot but we are going to wait until the fall to get it recovered. When we do get it covered it will be with champion ultra w/teflon coating. Reason being that is what is on the tables my wife plays her leagues on. It is not a matter of which one is the best, it is a matter of which one is played on the most. As a side note, I have a 9' GCIV and that is covered with Simonis 860. That is what came with it from the tournament I got it from and when it needs to be recovered it will get the same. Just my 2cents.

Brad
04-21-2006, 08:39 AM
For the price, I like Champioship's Tour Edition. For better than average players, the cost of Simonis doesn't warrant it. For Masters players, I would go with the Simonis.

just my .02

bsmutz
04-21-2006, 03:05 PM
For TimFXF: I'm no expert, but the difference in quality between different types of cloth have to do with the material (most cloths are a blend of natural and synthetic fibers), thread count per square inch, and how closely the nap is shaved on the playing side. The difference in how they play is dramatic. Usually the better the cloth, the faster it plays. The balls will roll farther with the same power applied. Now they have a teflon coated cloth. The slicker the cloth is, the harder it is to get english to take. Some cloths have virtually no nap at all. Some have just a little nap that wears down as you play on it. The worst cloths to play on are very slow with lots of nap. It takes huge effort to get the balls to roll far enough for shape. You find yourself slamming every shot. Dirt also affects bad or cheap cloth differently than good cloth. Good cloth will play pretty much the same no matter how dirty it gets (as long as we're not talking chunks). Slow, bad cloth gets slower and tends to make the balls roll funny as they lose momentum when it gets dirty.

yaffabernstein
04-21-2006, 03:51 PM
I put in a table in my home a year ago and paid extra for extra fast felt. I like it a lot.

wolfdancer
04-21-2006, 06:17 PM
Tim, we tried 760 in a pool room once, and nobody liked it for pool.....great on a billiards table though.
Simonis/granito costs more but wears longer. up here even the bars use Simonis...and i think it also improves your game

TimFXF
04-21-2006, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the info... I'm a ways away from replacing my cloth, but I suspect I'll be going for the 860 when I do.

kevinkins
04-22-2006, 08:38 AM
I heard you cant put Simonis on some tables ... depends on how it was constructed - True?

Kevin

Deeman3
04-22-2006, 09:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote kevinkins:</font><hr> I heard you cant put Simonis on some tables ... depends on how it was constructed - True?

Kevin <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Non, I believe Simonis will fit on any table.... </font color>

Deeman

moblsv
04-23-2006, 07:40 AM
Simonis 860 on my table

cloth vs. felt
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote simonis website:</font><hr>
Remember: Simonis is NOT a "felt", it is carefully and precisely woven fabric specifically designed to enhance your game by allowing the balls to roll straight and true while still maintaining consistent speed and spin.<hr /></blockquote>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote kevinkins:</font><hr>
I heard you cant put Simonis on some tables ... depends on how it was constructed - True?<hr /></blockquote>
I know of no situation where you can not use Simonis.

yaffabernstein
04-23-2006, 08:43 AM
There is one, the IBT.

dmgwalsh
04-24-2006, 01:03 PM
I like my Simonis 760 for 14.1.

SpiderMan
04-24-2006, 02:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> Brakenrun:

At the risk of insulting everyone here, as I did last time this question was asked, there is no felt on a billiard table but you might try Simonis for the speed but some of the other you mention might be more durable for a bar table application.

Deeman
yep, I just FELT like it <hr /></blockquote>

Don't be a pool snob - that's "felt" on the table, and you're shooting with a "stick". And you play one-"hole".

SpiderMan

Deeman3
04-24-2006, 02:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> Brakenrun:

Deeman
yep, I just FELT like it <hr /></blockquote>

Don't be a pool snob - that's "felt" on the table, and you're shooting with a "stick". And you play one-"hole".

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Sorry, it was a typical pool snob reaction. NOw I feel free to use top english for follow and bottom english for draw and skid for squirt and so on and so on....

Deeman
played golf with a feathery this weekend....don't ask my score!!!! </font color>

TimFXF
04-24-2006, 08:59 PM
"played golf with a feathery this weekend....don't ask my score!!!! "

I say old bean... Did you stymie the chap you played? Probably used the niblick, or the good ol' spoon, eh? Bit of a sticky wicket there!!!

sack316
04-25-2006, 02:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TimFXF:</font><hr> While we're on the subject... As someone who has the "house" Olhausen on his table, what's the real "playing" difference between the cloths/felts/pelts? I'm interested in the diff between the Simonis 760 and 860 - and Mali and Forstman, Brunswick, or whoever... <hr /></blockquote>

a partial answer here, taken from the Simonis north American site:

"Simonis 860 - The New Standard for Pool

Developed especially for 9-Ball.
Slightly Slower than the #760 Blend.
Combed worsted wool, high thread count and higher wool content assure long lasting wear and reduced ball burning.
Nap-free... will not pill, fluff or shed.
Available in 66" and 78" widths.
Available in 16 colors: Simonis Green, Electric Blue, Powder Blue, Red, Burgundy, Gold, Camel, Wine, Spruce, Blue Green, Dark Green, Marine Blue, Black, Olive, Grey and Tournament Blue. Color Chart

Simonis 760 - The Original Worsted Blend
Combed worsted wool and high thread count assure long lasting wear.
Nap-free...will not pill, fluff or shed.
Available in 66" and 78" widths.
High-Speed play for Bank Pool, Straight Pool and One-Pocket.
Available in 15 colors: Simonis Green, Electric Blue, Powder Blue, Red, Burgundy, Gold, Camel, Wine, Spruce, Blue Green, Dark Green, Marine Blue, Black, Olive and Grey. Color Chart

Simonis 300 RAPIDE - International High-Speed Carom

Extra fine threads for high-speed play.
Combed worsted wool for long-lasting wear.
Nap-free... will not pill, fluff or shed.
Available in 78" wide.
Approved by International Carom Federation for tournament play.
Now available in Blue-Green, Simonis Green and International Tournament Blue (Delsa Blue). "

also on a side note, Simonis is very particular in stating that their stuff IS cloth and NOT felt.

Anyway, for more info their site is here (http://www.simoniscloth.com/) if you'd care to check it out.

Sack

NBC-BOB
04-25-2006, 07:30 AM
I would put the same type of cloth that you play the most on.I started out with the old wool cloth on my table, and all the local rooms in my area use simonis 860 cloth.It made it very difficult to adjust my speed. At least since I put the simonis on my table,I can control the cue speed, when I go out to play.