PDA

View Full Version : Could Hershiser's record be broken this year?

sack316
04-21-2006, 12:02 AM
Felt like we needed a baseball topic on here, so here goes an attempt at one that doesn't involve steroids. One of the absolute most impressive records (yet somehow least talked about) is Orel Hershiser's scoreless inning streak of 59 consecutive innings. Done in a juiced ball era during the heat of a pennant race following grueling months of day to day work, I rate his record as easily one of the most underrated records there is in baseball.

Now as a Cubs fan, it's imperitive for my sanity to find positives for obvious reasons /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Well this past wednesday Ryan Dempster set a Cub record for consecutive saves (23). Also during this span he has yet to allow a run since August 14-- giving him 30 1/3 consecutive scoreless innings pitched. Still a long way to 59, but he has eclipsed the halfway mark and has looked great so far in the early part of the season. Hopefully he can continue to pitch well, and maybe in a few months we can start seeing "Chasing Orel" graphics on ESPN as opposed to anything relating to Bonds. If he does manage to come close to this amazing feat, do you think there will be any issues due to the fact that he works in the closer role, whereas Orel was a starter?

Anyway, here's hoping he can keep it up and that the Cubbies can keep on winning!

Sack

dg-in-centralpa
04-21-2006, 01:46 PM
I think as a starter, it is more difficult than as a closer. Especially since the closer on;y works 1-3 innings at a time. He comes in "fresh" when everyone esle has played for awhile.

DG - don't ask me, I'm only the piano player

sack316
04-23-2006, 11:45 PM
and I suppose I jinxed him myself... as he gave up 2 runs during junk time of a blowout win Sunday against the Cardinals. Still an impressive streak anyway, and is another testament to how impressive Hershiser's streak was.

Sack

Cueless Joey
04-24-2006, 07:59 AM
I remember that '88 season where Orel, Gibson and the Dodgers had an amazing season.
Orel won Cy Young. Gibson won the MVP even though he had like 85 rbi's iirc. The Dodgers beat the Mets in the playoffs. Orel pitched in relief in NY.
Then Gibson hit the HR against Eckersley in game 1. Orel pitched the second game. He gave up two hits and had two hits himself.
Canseco and McGwire couldn't hit jack against the Dodgers and the A's were trounced in 5 games.
59 innings in a row w/out giving up a run now is probably harder than hitting in 56 games in a row.

wolfdancer
04-24-2006, 10:34 AM
Sack, records are made to be broken....
even the great slugger, Frank "Home Run" Baker, had his amazing record of 52 HRs, in only 5 yrs (1911-1916) broken.
He hit double digit HRs in four of those years, and needed only one more in 1914, to have made it 5 straight years.
His record would probably still be standing, but first they juiced up the ball.......then juiced up the players. I think Barry hits at least 52 into the bay during BP
It's too bad the Bosox fergots about that Gibson HR off of Eck when he was pitching for the "A"'s....