PDA

View Full Version : Jeanette Lee's Absence From World Championships?

07-06-2002, 11:22 AM
I didn't see Jeanette's name in the draw for this weekend's 9-Ball World Championships in Taiwan. I just find it strange why she would miss such an important event - particularly since she's yet to win a World title of any kind.

There's no question JL has marketed herself more successfully than any other pro pool player (male or female) since Fats. It seems JL would figure to have the most to gain publicity wise (and milk it for all she could) if she was somehow able to add this prestigious title to her accomplishments. Perhaps she doesn't think she can win it over Corr or Fisher. Even sadder, maybe she doesn't think she needs to win it to validate her status as one of the best and at least arguably the most popular and most recognizable pool player in the world.

Almost all the players participating in this event have been sponsored to play in it - with all or at least some of their expenses picked up by their home country or billiard federation. Amazingly, 4-time World 9-Ball Champion AF is not one of those, and had to pay all her expenses for the event. Yes, she's certainly in a better financial position to afford it than most, but so is JL. Still, even though AF likely needs to finish no worse than 2nd just to break even on her expenses for the event, she felt strongly that it was important enough of an event to attend and support. For the benefit and respect of the WPA, the tourney host, sponsors, fans and the sport as a whole, and to add credibility to the title. I just find it a bit sad that JL did not feel the same. Of course, if JL has a good reason for not attending, please disregard this post (LOL). - Chris in NC

cuechick
07-06-2002, 11:45 AM
I am curious as to why AF's sponsors , Cutec did not sponsor her for this event? Any ideas?

07-06-2002, 12:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris in NC:</font><hr> ,,,,, Even sadder, maybe she doesn't think she needs to win it to validate her status as one of the best and at least arguably the most popular and most recognizable pool player in the world.
<hr></blockquote>

it is not a good idea to make speculation like this, even though you might have mere curious or good intentions. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
while YOU might be doing just that, some people might take it the wrong way and turn an idle thought into poolroom rumor and then poolroom fact. /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif

all it takes is for a few replies to harp on this particular thought and misinterpret it, and before you know it the thought becomes fact.

/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

HarryDC
07-06-2002, 12:14 PM
Chris,

This quote from JJJFLA may explain to you how busy JL has been.

"I was reading my copy of Inside Pool today and they have an article about the Canadian Club sharp Shooter Challenge. Jeanette was kept pretty busy going to 16 of the 24 regional tournaments to promote the tournament. And then had to be in Vegas too. that's a lot of traveling. Canadian Club (one of my favorites) is her sponsor."

HarryDC

ted harris
07-06-2002, 12:19 PM
I have known Jeanette Lee for many years. Her spirit would never allow her to "be afraid" that she cannot win the tournament. She would simply practice even more, just like she has done many times before to win a tournament. Maybe she had a prior engagement, or her back is troubling her.

jjinfla
07-06-2002, 01:29 PM
Gee Chris why the sudden turn on Lee? I'm sure you get a comp issue of Inside pool and were able to read the article there about Lee. Besides all the regionals she showed up at to promote the tour she was also at Vegas and she was able to win, from her sponsor Canadian Club, $25,000 for the Scoliosis Association. I'm sure you are aware she is a scoliosis sufferer. Could it be possible that all of her performances, to help others, might have been too much for her back? And now she can't go and play to win for herself?Jake

Tom_In_Cincy
07-06-2002, 02:08 PM
JJ,
Chris isn't turning on his position about Ms. Lee. Chris has always supported the WPBA and all the women.
He just asked a question and proposed an opinion. I too was wondering what had happened to Ms. Lee.

By the way.. didn't Ms Lee win the US Olympic trial World Championship in Japan just recently?

Seems like I saw her with a US Flag on BD mag recently..

AzHousePro
07-06-2002, 03:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris in NC:</font><hr> Still, even though AF likely needs to finish no worse than 2nd just to break even on her expenses <hr></blockquote>

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if Allison needed a second place finish to break even then she fell way short of breaking even.

Her 9th place finish has got to be the worst finish for her in an event like this in a long long time.

Could this be Karen's year to win this one?

Harold Acosta
07-06-2002, 04:35 PM
Gerda was also alive...maybe it could be Gerda's year!!

Doctor_D
07-07-2002, 05:12 AM
Goodmorning:

Which regional tournaments has Jeanette been attending? I have not seen her at any of the regional events I have competed in.

Dr. D.

Ken
07-07-2002, 07:31 AM
Dr. D., I think the poster might be referring to her exhibitions in which she plays the male winners of regional events and does a trick shot exhibition. In Tampa she also played an exhibition match against Charlie Williams and almost won handily until he took over and barely won the race to 5. She is representing Canadian Club at these events and if she wins against the challengers CC puts money towards scoliosis research. I think the challengers get a chance to win $1,000 in a race to 3. If they lose the money goes to scoliosis research. I saw her after an APA event which was perhaps a qualifier of some sort. I suspect that this is far more lucrative than traveling halfway across the world to play in a tournament which may pay nothing.
KenCT

07-08-2002, 08:30 PM
Ken, I think it has far more to do with contractual obligation than anything else. If Jeanette's sponsor wants her in the States playing a bunch of drunks to promote their alcohol, then that's where Jeanette will be. Now that she's moved into "big name" territory, she'll have to get used to jumping a little higher. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

07-09-2002, 10:23 AM
Gee, this sounds incredibly like sour grapes?

Could that be a hint of jealousy I detect?

07-15-2002, 09:15 PM
Sorry? Why in the world would you think something like that? Sour grapes is a phrase used to describe a situation where one does not get what one wanted, and therefore rationalizes that the item in question would not have been any good in the first place. I do not want what Jeanette has. I'm not even at a level yet where it would be offered to me. If you are referencing my comment about the drunks, well, she is working for a liquor company now, and people frequently drink liquor and get drunk. If I sound a bit harsh about that you'll have to forgive me. I spent ten years married to an alcoholic, and yes, I have issues! LOL

07-17-2002, 11:43 AM
Why in the world would I think that? Because that's the tone your post took. Perhaps you don't realize that much of the time, the tone of your posts is condescending and scathing.

If you doubt that, then ask yourself why you felt it necessary to to define for me what "sour grapes" is. Do you really think I don't know what it means? Do you think I chose that phrase recklessly? No, I didn't. The tone of your post sounded to be putting down an engagement that Jeannette has been able to secure. Whether or not you would want that exact engagement isn't as significant as the fact that she is getting one. The tone of your post implies that you would begrudge her the exposure or perhaps that you don't feel she's earned it or worth it.

And yes, she is working for a liquor company, but not everyone that drinks gets drunk or is an alcoholic and it is a crass to imply otherwise. I can understand your issues on a very personal level because I grew up with an alcoholic and I have precious little patience for it now. You shouldn't feel, though, that your personal history with it gives you an exemption allowing you to unfairly characterize people as a "bunch of drunks".

You're obviously very intelligent, Lorri, but caustic wit applied at someone else's expense is very unflattering.

07-17-2002, 10:43 PM
Try to read less in between my lines and you might feel better about me. I'm neither caustic nor scathing, unless that's what's called for. And if having a vocabulary of more than 500 words is condescending, then I guess that applies, but I think perhaps you should recheck your definition. I do elaborate in my posts, because I hope to avoid precisely what you have accused me of here. Any of the members whom I've been lucky enough to meet would agree, to a man, that condescending is the last word that would come to their minds to describe me. I apologize for offending you. I assure you that was not my intent.
I think that Jeanette Lee is pool's greatest asset. She has worked her ass off for everything she has, and has paved the way for everyone who follows her. Their road will be much easier to travel because of her hard work, yet she's still characterized as a diva, Limelight hog, and shameless self promoter. Sorry, but I think that sucks. She's the only one out there that gets it. This is what you need to do to attract the kind of attention everyone says they want for the game. Personally, I think the billiard world should sponsor Jeanette Lee day, in recognition of the work she's put into the sport, that countless others will eventually benefit from. She's always been my favorite player, and to have someone think otherwise truly distresses me.
When I said JL would have to learn to jump a little higher, I was not trying to put her down. What I meant was that when large corporations sign athletes, or anyone else for that matter, they tend to throw their weight around, then dare you to walk away from their money. Sorry for the confusion Dude.