PDA

View Full Version : breaking with your main cue: yay or nay

bigjake
04-22-2006, 10:30 AM
i was wondering what you guys thought of breaking with your main cue, i have heard some people say you will crack the ferrulle and other stuff like that

PoolSharkAllen
04-22-2006, 10:37 AM
I break with my regular cue (a Joss 19 oz.), and it works fine for me! I do need to shape the cue tip daily, but otherwise, no problems.

Scott Lee
04-22-2006, 10:54 AM
There's nothing wrong with breaking with your playing cue, if you know how to break correctly. I play with a $4K Samsara, and break with it every game.

Scott Lee

PoolSharkAllen
04-22-2006, 11:05 AM
By the way, if you're playing in a pool hall, breaking with your regular cue has to be infinitely better than breaking with the house cues.

Tom_In_Cincy
04-22-2006, 12:30 PM
I break with my regular playing cue, Omen Cue, but I also play 14.1 and a lot of ONE Pocket.

I don't have any problems breaking 9 or 8 ball racks with my regular playing cue.

Deeman3
04-22-2006, 01:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> There's nothing wrong with breaking with your playing cue, if you know how to break correctly. I play with a $4K Samsara, and break with it every game.

Scott Lee <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">I,even, on occasion break with Scott's Samsara but I don't know if he remembers where Alabama is, last time it was Texas.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Deeman </font color>

dg-in-centralpa
04-22-2006, 03:29 PM
No, I have a break cue.

DG

Rich R.
04-22-2006, 06:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigjake:</font><hr> i was wondering what you guys thought of breaking with your main cue, i have heard some people say you will crack the ferrulle and other stuff like that <hr /></blockquote>I don't believe there is anything wrong with breaking with your playing cue and I don't believe you will crack the ferrule.
That being said, I do choose to use a break cue. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cornerman
04-22-2006, 06:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigjake:</font><hr> i was wondering what you guys thought of breaking with your main cue, i have heard some people say you will crack the ferrulle and other stuff like that <hr /></blockquote>I have never broken a ferule from breaking. The only cracked ferrule I have is on a Meucci cue, a common shortcoming for that brand.

Before the specialty break sticks, I've always broken with one of my cues. And for years, I didn't use a different cue for breaking.

Fred

ceebee
04-23-2006, 08:11 AM
I used my play cue for 45 years, then I heard about specialty cues on the internet. I tried a Predator BK. Now, I use the Predator BK to break in 9-Ball &amp; 8-Ball.

I find that breaking with my play cue will cause me tip problems. JMHO... you guys have fun doing what you want to.

9_Ball_Junky
04-23-2006, 01:30 PM
kind of a wierd situation for me.......i use a break cue due to the fact that my playing cue is a mcdermott with a #11 shaft........little bitty bugger and im not gonna take a chance on screwing up the best cue i have ever shot with........

other than that, i see a lot of people using break cues, but my father and mentor has been playing for as long as anyone can remember and always breaks with his players cue that he shoots with.

J

Snapshot9
04-24-2006, 03:26 AM
I used my playing cue for years to break, but after getting a $1100 custom cue, and wanting to keep it nice, I got a SP by the same cuemaker, and broke with it. I can get a little wild in my breaking, and have sometimes grazed the cue right above or below the joint on the rial or cloth. I also split a ferrule on the SP breaking. So now, I have a regular break/jump cue,and feel much better breaking with it. If one of my sticks is going to get 'beat up' a little, I would prefer that it is my break cue, and not my playing or backup cue.

Also, when you get older, a good break cue can put that snap back into your break that you may have lost somewhat over the years.

CaptainHook
04-26-2006, 05:30 AM
The only time i use my main cue to break is when i play 1P.
If i am playing 9 Ball i use one of my B/J cues. I have a Cuetec and a Sterling. If i am playing 8 Ball, i found that breaking with a 20oz or 21oz house cue works better for me. I like to keep the tip on my main cues in perfect shape. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif