PDA

View Full Version : Jump Shot

homerwh
04-23-2006, 01:08 PM
I'm lousy at jump shots. Can someone give the basic mechanics?

tjlmbklr
04-23-2006, 07:23 PM
First things first; are you using a jump cue (very hard tip short and light stick)?

Sid_Vicious
04-23-2006, 09:20 PM
Yes, what's the situation? sid

Cornerman
04-24-2006, 06:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote homerwh:</font><hr> I'm lousy at jump shots. Can someone give the basic mechanics? <hr /></blockquote>

For a standard grip and standard cue length, I've found after lots of work:

Make your bridge hand as tall as comfortable. Some people with large hands will always have and immediate advantage for jumping.

Collapse the bridge elbow. This forces my front down, while I can keep my grip hand up. Being able to shoot comfortably with this angle is important. Robin Dodson teaches this to people at her Frog demo.

Don't look up when shoooting. Wear a hat with a brim. Seriously, for training purposes. When cueing, stare at the cueball and don't look up. Looking up sometimes makes people prematurely come out of their stance prior to hitting the ball. You want all of your stroke going into the cueball. That being said, your aim line should be correct before you get down on the shot.

Corollary: Drive the cueball directly into the bed.

Aim at the pit. For starters, hitting at the dead center of the ball (where the pit would be) is going to get you the most bang. Aiming a hair below center (as your cuestick "sees" the cueball") will be your next step.

Hard tip. One area that is very important to jumping with a full-length cue is that it's going to be easier with a hard tip. Earl Strickland used to shoot with a tremendously hard tip for the times, and he always complained about other people not jumping with their shooting cue. That's one reason he could do it so easily.

Let the cue do the work. This seems to be true for any shot: draw shot, break shot, and even the jump shot. Don't jab or overstroke. If you concentrate on hitting the center of the cueball, with an angled cue, with a real stroke, it will jump, and jump higher than you can imagine.

After all that, then you can buy a jump cue (if you haven't), use the same techniques above, and you'll be able to jump over anything with ease.

Fred

BurloakB
06-15-2006, 03:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote homerwh:</font><hr> I'm lousy at jump shots. Can someone give the basic mechanics? <hr /></blockquote>

Watch the videos at this link (http://www.poolclinics.com/products.html).

I agree with Fred, you don't really need a jump cue anyway, just a really hard tip.

I used to use my J/B shortie, but since I admire the IPT rule, I've been using a full length jump cue exclusively. I've been able to get up and over anything I wanted to, so I don't feel like I'm cheating anymore. I've always thought Earl had a point, I mean when a baseball players wants to hit a homer they don't allow him to whip out the corked bat now do they?.

Anyway, knowing your diamond system for those times when jumping is not a viable option is equally important. And only jump when absolutely necessary, some people have the jump stick out every third shot. Good luck.