PDA

View Full Version : DO YOU REMEMBER WHEN...?

stickman
04-24-2006, 05:57 PM
DO YOU REMEMBER WHEN...?

All the girls had ugly gym uniforms?

It took five minutes for the TV warm up?

Nearly everyone's Mom was at home when the kids got home from school?

Nobody owned a purebred dog?

When a quarter was a decent allowance?

You'd reach into a muddy gutter for a penny?

Your Mom wore nylons that came in two pieces?

All your male teachers wore neckties and female teachers had
their hair done every day and wore high heels?

You got your windshield cleaned, oil checked, and gas pumped,
without asking, all for free, every time?
And you didn't pay for air? And, you got trading stamps to boot?

Laundry detergent had free glasses, dishes or towels hidden inside the box?

It was considered a great privilege to be taken out to dinner
at a real restaurant with your parents?

They threatened to keep kids back a grade if they failed. . and they did?

When a 57 Chevy was everyone's dream car...to cruise,
peel out, lay rubber or watch submarine races, and people went steady?

No one ever asked where the car keys were
because they were always in the car,
in the ignition, and the doors were never locked?

Lying on your back in the grass with your friends
and saying things like, "That cloud looks like a "

and playing baseball with no adults to help kids with the rules of the game?

Stuff from the store came without safety caps and hermetic seals
because no one had yet tried to poison a perfect stranger?

And with all our progress, don't you just wish, just once,
you could slip back in time and savor the slower pace,
and share it with the children of today?

When being sent to the principal's office was nothing
compared to the fate that awaited the student at home?
Basically we were in fear for our lives,
but it wasn't because of drive-by shootings, drugs, gangs, etc.

Our parents and grandparents were a much bigger threat!
But we survived because their love was greater than the threat.

Send this on to someone who can still remember
Nancy Drew, the Hardy Boys, Laurel and Hardy,
Howdy Dowdy and the Peanut Gallery,
the Lone Ranger, The Shadow Knows,
Nellie Bell, Roy and Dale, Trigger and Buttermilk.

As well as summers filled with bike rides, baseball games,
Hula Hoops, bowling and visits to the pool,
and eating Kool-Aid powder with sugar.
Didn't that feel good, just to go back and say, "Yeah, I remember that"?

I am sharing this with you today
because it ended with a double dog dare to pass it on.
To remember what a double dog dare is, read on.
And remember that the perfect age is somewhere between
old enough to know better and too young to care.

How many of these do you remember?

Candy cigarettes
Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water inside
Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles
Coffee shops with tableside jukeboxes
Blackjack, Clove and Teaberry chewing gum
Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
Newsreels before the movie
P.F. Fliers

Telephone numbers with a word prefix...(Raymond 4-601).
Party lines

Peashooters
Howdy Dowdy
45 RPM records
Green Stamps
Hi-Fi's

Metal ice cubes trays with levers
Mimeograph paper
Beanie and Cecil
Roller-skate keys
Cork pop guns
Drive ins
Studebakers

Washtub wringers
The Fuller Brush Man
Reel-To-Reel tape recorders
Tinkertoys
Erector Sets
The Fort Apache Play Set
Lincoln Logs
15 cent McDonald hamburgers;don't believe there were any until 1960 or so?

5 cent packs of baseball cards -
with that awful pink slab of bubble gum

Penny candy

35 cent a gallon gasoline; in 1962 it was 19.9 (I remember!)
Jiffy Pop popcorn

Do you remember a time when...

Decisions were made by going "eeny-meeny-miney-moe"?
Mistakes were corrected by simply exclaiming, "Do Over!"?
"Race issue" meant arguing about who ran the fastest?
Catching the fireflies could happily occupy an entire evening?
It wasn't odd to have two or three "Best Friends"?

The worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was "cooties"?
Having a weapon in school meant being caught with a slingshot?
A foot of snow was a dream come true?

Saturday morning cartoons weren't 30-minute commercials for action figures?
"Oly-oly-oxen-free" made perfect sense?
Spinning around, getting dizzy, and falling down was cause for giggles?

The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team?
War was a card game?
Baseball cards in the spokes transformed any bike into a motorcycle?
Taking drugs meant orange-flavored chewable aspirin?
Water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

If you can remember most or all of these, then you have lived!!!!!!!

Pass this on to anyone who may need a break from
their "grown-up" life . . .I double-dog-dare-ya!

Rich R.
04-24-2006, 06:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stickman:</font><hr>If you can remember most or all of these, then you have lived!!!!!!! <hr /></blockquote>
I guess I have lived.

Thanks for the memories. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cueball1950
04-24-2006, 09:38 PM
I have to agree with Rich on this one. thanks for the beautiful memories. On the serious side all i can do is wipe the tear from my eye when i think of those days cuz they are never coming back around. they say that history always repeats itself. not this time..............mike

Gayle in MD
04-24-2006, 10:31 PM
Ditto Mike...

Very sad. Those were the days for sure. We were lucky to have grown up when we did.

Gayle in Md,.

Rod
04-24-2006, 11:39 PM
Ya, well I have lived. I could add some but I won't. Those were the days. Thanks Jim.

Rod

dg-in-centralpa
04-25-2006, 04:44 AM
I remember most of these. I got paddled in 7th grade and never told my parents until I moved out of the house. I was always told that if I got paddled in school, I would get double when I got home.

DG

Rich R.
04-25-2006, 06:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> I remember most of these. I got paddled in 7th grade and never told my parents until I moved out of the house. I was always told that if I got paddled in school, I would get double when I got home.<hr /></blockquote>
I remember getting paddled by a teacher, who was also a football coach, just because my hair was too long. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
That was high school in the sixties. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

dg-in-centralpa
04-25-2006, 07:41 AM
What a change. Nowadays the teachers can't paddle the kids, and neither can the parents. It's called "Child Abuse." When I was a kid, it was called discipline.

DG - had my share of paddling as a kid

Rich R.
04-25-2006, 08:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> What a change. Nowadays the teachers can't paddle the kids, and neither can the parents. It's called "Child Abuse." When I was a kid, it was called discipline.

DG - had my share of paddling as a kid <hr /></blockquote>
I guess I was an abused child. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Or undisiplined. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

SpiderMan
04-25-2006, 08:59 AM
I never had the nerve to ask for PF Flyers at the beginning of school, because they cost more.

BTW, I think it's "Howdy Doody".

SpiderMan

dg-in-centralpa
04-25-2006, 01:07 PM
I wanted Keds sneakers like the other kids, but they cost about $9-$10 at the time. So my parents got me the cheapest ones at about $2.50 a pair because I would out grow them. If I wanted Keds, I had to save my money and buy them myself. Those were the days.

DG

Deeman3
04-25-2006, 01:10 PM
Now, if you want the very best sneakers, you have to earn them in a drive by shooting.......

Deeman

stickman
04-25-2006, 04:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>
BTW, I think it's "Howdy Doody".

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

You're right.

I remember most of these.
Blackjack chewing gum was one of my favorites, and I loved the wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water inside when I was young. I remember when gas was $.25 a gallon. My friends and I would pool our pocket change for gas money for the 63 Chevy II Nova and drive up and down Main all night long and have gas left over. Those were the days!!

BooBoo
04-27-2006, 06:53 AM
We also didn't sit around all day watching a box with nothing worthwhile to watch. When San Francisco Beat, Superman, or Sky King was on you came inside and watched your show then went back outside to play, usually without the aid of a parent. Kids had a lot more freedom back then, but the wackos weren't as plentful back then.

Chopstick
04-27-2006, 10:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stickman:</font><hr>
Blackjack chewing gum was one of my favorites, and I loved the wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water inside when I was young.
<hr /></blockquote>

I don't remember much about the sugar water but I did try to eat the bottle once. It wasn't good so I spit it out. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

SpiderMan
04-27-2006, 02:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stickman:</font><hr>
I remember most of these.
Blackjack chewing gum was one of my favorites, and I loved the wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water inside when I was young. <hr /></blockquote>

When it was warm, you could chew on the wax and it was sort of like you had some gum. There were also red cherry-flavored wax "lips" that you could chew on.

SpiderMan

SpiderMan
04-27-2006, 02:43 PM
Do you remember when inflation forced them to change the radio jingle from "get rid of that tickle, for only a nickle" to "get rid of that tickle, for a penny and a nickle"? What was the product?

SpiderMan

pooltchr
04-27-2006, 05:23 PM
Those wax lips were NASTY!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Now the candy dots on the long strip of paper....those were GOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!

How many remember the wintergreen patty? It was just like the York Peppermint Patty you can find today, but the filling was pink and wintergreen flavor. Those were my favorites as a kid.
Steve

ARJ
04-27-2006, 07:44 PM
I remember some of those things for sure. Never had Blackjack bubble gum though. Baseball cards weren't a nickel in the 70's either when i started collecting, probably more like .50 a pack.

ARJ

Rich R.
04-28-2006, 03:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ARJ:</font><hr> I remember some of those things for sure. Never had Blackjack bubble gum though. Baseball cards weren't a nickel in the 70's either when i started collecting, probably more like .50 a pack.<hr /></blockquote>
IIRC, Blackjack was a chewing gum, but not a bubble gum.

Oh, and I remember the nickel packs of baseball cards, with the gum inside. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

pooltchr
04-28-2006, 04:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> Oh, and I remember the nickel packs of baseball cards, with the gum inside. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>

IIRC, the cards tasted better than the gum!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Steve

Rich R.
04-28-2006, 06:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> Oh, and I remember the nickel packs of baseball cards, with the gum inside. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>

IIRC, the cards tasted better than the gum!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Steve <hr /></blockquote>
The cards not only tasted better, they were easier to chew. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

DickLeonard
04-28-2006, 06:52 AM
Stickman I am trying to list all my memories from my youth in my mind.
My first memories were of World War 11, I lived in Watervliet NY home of the first US Arsenal there they made cannons and large machine guns. All day and all night all we heard was the guns being tested ACk,AckAck I was 4 years old. Three cars on the block everything was going for the War Effort. Food rationing, neighbors sharing with each other.
The Borden milkman having picked up a metal container of sour milk at Behr Mannings and giving it to my mother to churn into butter and me delivering lbs of butter to all the neighbors.
I got a toy motorcycle for Christmas everything still going for the War effort. I saw that same motorcycle on Antique Road Show today it's worth 3500.

Air Raid Wardens patrolling the streets at night making sure no light is escaping from your house.

VE day and an instant parade developed with everyone marching up the street banging their pots and pans. VJ day and the same thing another parade.

Watervliets Congressional Medal of Honor Winner coming home to the same welcome, everyone joining into his parade with the same muscial instruments.

TV is here and as kids we would stand outside a local bar and watch the Friday Night fights on a postage stamp size TV. If my memory serves me it was a 7 inch tv. Soon someone came up with the ingenious idea of putting a large magnifying glass over it and making them 11 inches.

I started caddying at age nine, my first job was shagging balls or acting as the target for the Golfer. Sitting on the hill at the first tee after finishing shagging, watching the playoff for the Member/Guest Tourney and Governor Thomas Dewey yelling over to Duke Chapman, hey Duke I heard you made football at Yale just as Pat McKenna his opponent, all decked out in his white navy bellbottoms and colored shirt duck hooked his drive and turning around and calling the Governor you no good soonafabitch I never voted for you and I never will.

I saw Al Gionfredda rob Joe Diamaggio with a backwards catch in the 47 World's Series.
Playing baseball from morning till night just going home for lunch, then one friday night a group of girls all dressed up for the dance at the Watervliet Civic Center and the Boys discovered Girls end of Friday night Baseball.

1951 my nextdoor neighbor Joe Canton wins the National Title.

I think that is part one of my walk down memory lane.####

Fran Crimi
04-28-2006, 06:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> Those wax lips were NASTY!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Now the candy dots on the long strip of paper....those were GOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!

How many remember the wintergreen patty? It was just like the York Peppermint Patty you can find today, but the filling was pink and wintergreen flavor. Those were my favorites as a kid.

Are you kidding about those wax lips? They were my favorite. No kidding. I grew up directly across the street from a candy store and my best friend and I made a career out of trying all the different penny candies. The store owners were named Al and Adelaide (seriously, you can't make this stuff up). We were there so much they eventually got tired of walking over to the penny candy counter to help us, so they'd let us help ourselves and then we'd take the bag to them to add up.

My best friend from the old days recently sent me a box of penny candy for my birthday, lots of the ones we used to get as kids. It was really fun to see it all again. And, Steve, the buttons on the ribbon were in the box too.

Some of my favorites were the wax lips, shoelaces, and the wafer flying saucers. We used to play Holy Communion with them (is that a sin?). My friend was Lutheran so I had to teach her. Hahaha.

Remeber the two for a penny ones? The red hot dollars, or the Sweedish fish. Also, chocolate malt balls were two for a penny. These were big, though, not like the ones you see today. I used to like the mini-boxes of pink mints. They were probably made out of talc and bad for you because they were so chalky.

For two cents you could get a real bargain and get a roll of smarties sweet and sour candies. We got on a Pez kick for awhile. I wish I still had those dispensers.

Fran

pooltchr
04-28-2006, 07:15 AM
Fran,
I had forgotten about the round pink mints...seems like they were stamped with 3 or 4 XXX's....LOVED THOSE THINGS!

I used to walk about 2 blocks to a little mom &amp; pop grocery...a nickle could get you enough candy to last for 3 days! And if you had a DIME...every kid in town was your best friend!

Those were the days....
Steve

Fran Crimi
04-28-2006, 04:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> Fran,
I had forgotten about the round pink mints...seems like they were stamped with 3 or 4 XXX's....LOVED THOSE THINGS!

I think you're thinking about the Sweetheart mints. Those xxx's were kisses. Same company though.

http://www.necco.com/Images/FunLearning/VirtualTour/SweetHearts/photo7.jpg

These were the ones I was thinking of. I can't believe they still make them. I didn't know that!!

http://www.necco.com/_documents/Product/ProductLargeImage44.gif

SnakebyteXX
04-28-2006, 04:33 PM
How about steel pennies? And Liberty Silver Dollars with dates on them from the 1800's? Dad got me into coin collecting as a kid. I spent hours looking through his pocket change that included buffalo head nickels and Mercury head dimes - all the coins over a nickel were silver in those days. Didn't get the 'sandwich' stuff until the '60's. All the dollar bills had 'silver certificate' stamped on them and were redeemable for one dollar in silver.

My favorite collectable was a dollar bill with the name "Hawaii" stamped on it that my Dad had saved from a visit to Oahu during his tour of duty in the South Pacific - WWII. Hawaii was a territory in those days and money that was minted to be sent there included that stamp. I still have that bill.

We lived in Hawaii in '51-'52 and people at Hickham Field were STILL talking about the attack on Pearl Harbor and the air field and which way the Japanese had flown in (through Koli-Koli Pass over a mountain known locally as 'Pregnant Lady'). Seemed like they were half expecting that they might just do it again any minute.

I remember San Diego in the mid '50's when they were tearing out the lemon and orange groves on the out skirts to make way for the miles of ticky tacky sub divisions that were soon to be built. Houses being bought up by the droves of GI Bill recipients (Dad included) moving into their 'first' homes.

How about playing marbles for keeps? Or climbing hand over hand up a baseball bat with your opponent. First one to the top got to decide who got up to bat first (Eagle claws were considered barely legal - a method whereby you grabbed the last half inch at the top of the bat with the tips of your fingers. If your 'claw' grip could support the weight of the bat without losing the grip - you won.)

Us So-Cal boys were amongst the first to take our adjustable skates apart and nail them to a 2X4 - thus creating the first ever skate boards.

How about rubber band guns made from cut strips of inner tubes and (yep) 2X4's? Or spud guns? And speaking of guns - how about Daisy B-B guns? It took me three months of saving my lunch money to afford to buy one when I was 12. I was a menace to sparrows and picture windows after that.

Remember the many different kinds of toys that came in cereal boxes? Among my favorites were miniature submarines and frogmen powered by a mixture of baking soda and vinegar. Great bath toys for boys!

How about the first TV's? And then the first color TV's? My cousins up in Turlock owned a TV store (we thought they were richer n'[censored]) had the first one I ever saw. We sat around in a trance for hours waiting to watch 'Walt Disney's Wonderful World of 'Living' Color. When it finally came on we were in heaven. Never mind the fact that the colors were n't all the 'living' - at least it wasn't black and white. Back in those days the TV guide would make special note if a program was in color because they were so rare.

Movies ALWAYS had cartoons played before the main attraction - and ushers that walked up and down the isles with flashlighs making sure every thing stayed orderly.

Those were indeed - the days.

Snake

Deeman3
04-28-2006, 05:12 PM
Remember "skinin cats"? It was a shinny up a small tree until your weight bent it over lowering you to the ground.

I remember moving from Helena, Arkansas to Memphis and being told by the kids in Helena that the kids in Memphis were tough and did not respest you if you didn't show them who was boss. First kid to walk up to me I popped in the mouth. No one messed with me but everyone just knew I was crazy. That kid I hit became my best friend after I explained my reason or lack thereof for hitting him.

We had a fat guy in the neighborhood named Sugar Bear. He was supposed to be a Hell's Angel killer type. When I got my first motorcycle he yelled at me, "Kid you'll never be a biker on that Jap Fujiyama beer can!" I yelled, "If I am still living with my mother when I'm your age, I don't think I wanna be a biker." Odds were taken at 3-1 in the neighborhood I wouldn't live out the Summer. I did!

I rememeber fishing all night for catfish on hooks bated with liver and weighted down with old spark plugs. You could throw that rig halfway across Robco Lake.

I remember praying for friends with polio, knowing you could really depend on a friend, running away from home and being so damn happy your parents found you.

Deeman
God bless you all.....

stickman
04-28-2006, 07:16 PM
My Mom and Dad had the first TV in town. It was a small rural town. They had an automobile garage, gas station, grocery store, and the post office. We lived upstairs. All the farmers would come to the store to watch TV. (black &amp; white.) /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pooltchr
04-29-2006, 04:56 AM
Yes, those "Canada" wintergreens were what I was remembering as well. The sweetheart ones are still around every February.
Steve

DickLeonard
05-23-2006, 11:39 AM
SnakebyeteXX suring the war we waited months for a delivery of Bubble Gum, we were allowed one bubble gum till everyone in the neighborhood got one.

Our Borden milkman came to the house on Christmas Eve drunk, so at 12 I finished his route and took him and the horse and wagon back to the barn. The horse knew the way and the customer stops and when to stop for Oats. I just had to check his book for the delivery.

I never played marbles for keeps but I did pitch waxed baseball cards up against porches for baseball cards. Everyone hated the Yankees so I had a large collection of Mickey Mantle Rookie Cards. ####

catscradle
05-23-2006, 12:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote stickman:</font><hr>If you can remember most or all of these, then you have lived!!!!!!! <hr /></blockquote>
I guess I have lived.

Thanks for the memories. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I guess I've lived too.

I also remember 3-digit telephone numbers and the an operator saying "Number please" when you picked up the phone. If you couldn't remember the number you just said "Johnny Jones" or "Billy Smith" and they knew where to connect you.
I remember my father leaving his cash box from his business in his bureau drawer in our unlocked house (who knew where the key was) when we went somewhere, coming back and not a penny was missing.
Not a bad world, not bad at all. (Now if only my father hadn't been a drunk, oh well can't have everything)

SnakebyteXX
05-24-2006, 06:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr>
I never played marbles for keeps but I did pitch waxed baseball cards up against porches for baseball cards. <font color="blue">We pitched pennies up against the wall. </font color>Everyone hated the Yankees so I had a large collection of Mickey Mantle Rookie Cards.<font color="blue">Too bad you didn't hang on to them you could have been rich! LOL. When I was about ten my Dad took me to see a Yankee vs. Padres game in San Diego. The Padres were still a minor league team at the time. I couldn't help but notice that my father was being unusually voiciferous that night heckling the Yankee players. I asked him, "Dad, why do you hate the Yankees?" He answered, "Son, EVERYBODY hates the Yankees!" Later on in life I discovered that this wasn't entirely true... </font color> #### <hr /></blockquote>

SnakebyteXX
05-24-2006, 07:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr>
I also remember 3-digit telephone numbers and the an operator saying "Number please" when you picked up the phone. If you couldn't remember the number you just said "Johnny Jones" or "Billy Smith" and they knew where to connect you.
<font color="blue">How about 'party lines' where you shared your phone service with several other customers? Picking up the phone and hearing someone else talking ment you either had to wait to make your call or you could use the opportunity to eavesdrop on someone else's business...(as could they you). </font color>

I remember my father leaving his cash box from his business in his bureau drawer in our unlocked house (who knew where the key was) when we went somewhere, coming back and not a penny was missing.

<font color="blue">Up until just a few years ago before the tweakers got out of hand there were several farm families in our area who would put up unmanned fruit &amp; vegetable stands on the roadside near their farms. The stands had everything laid out with a price list and a cash box for the customer to pay for what they took on the honor system. It worked surprisingly well until the speed freaks came a calling. </font color>

Not a bad world, not bad at all.

<font color="blue">I suppose it depended to some degree on where you lived. I found the 1950's burgeoning sub-division, high population, Southern California rat-race folks to be some pretty nasty, mean-spirited, mo fos compared to the Northern Californa farm families who became our neighbors in the early 1960's. Something about too high population density does things to make people harder to get along with. I honestly don't remember that bygone era as a 'better time' (unless I put on my rose-colored glasses) - just simpler in some ways. In truth it could be just as brutal as this day and age given half a chance.</font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

wolfdancer
05-25-2006, 10:46 AM
..... do you remember when, and would you like to get together again
She said I'll see you after school
I was so shy and so for awhile most of my love was touch and smile
So she said come on over here, I was nervous I guess
Still looking for something to slip down her dress
And she said let's make it perfectly clear

I don't like spiders and snakes
And that ain't what it takes to love me
Like I wanna be loved by you
I don't like spiders and snakes
And that ain't what it takes to love me
Like I wanna be loved by you

DickLeonard
05-26-2006, 06:10 AM
Stickman the first TVs were great get together tools, everyone huddle around a small set. Neighbors were Neighborly then.####