PDA

View Full Version : Your tip and diameter

Breaker
04-25-2006, 04:44 PM
I have tryed the standard 13mm shaft and I feel its not narrow enough for good english.I was thinking of a 11.75mm but I dont want to order it and it be to small.

Noone has one around here I can try.So I ask all you long time players,what do you prefer.

Bob_Jewett
04-25-2006, 05:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Breaker:</font><hr> I have tryed the standard 13mm shaft and I feel its not narrow enough for good english.I was thinking of a 11.75mm but I dont want to order it and it be to small.

Noone has one around here I can try.So I ask all you long time players,what do you prefer. <hr /></blockquote>
About 11mm. If you want to try it, get a house cue and get the local retipping guy to turn the shaft down to 11.75. He may have to replace the ferrule. Then take it down some more.

Scott Lee
04-25-2006, 06:22 PM
I would diagree with 11mm...that's like a pencil. Getting spin on the CB is much more related to the quality of your stroke, than tip size. Back in the 70's and early 80's, 14mm was the standard the pros used, and none of them had any trouble putting spin on the CB. Nowadays it's 13mm or less. I would try 12.5, which "feels" significantly smaller than 13mm, and play with it for awhile before going with something smaller. 11mm is a snooker size shaft. jmo

Scott Lee

PastPrime
04-25-2006, 06:36 PM
The smaller tip size will quickly bring hitting flaws to the surface. I feel like its using the old Pin-point golfing Iron before Ping came out with the first forgiving golf clubs. I wouldn't put up too much of an argument but I personally feel 13mm is a better size to use for most of us.

Snapshot9
04-26-2006, 05:23 AM
I use 12.75 mm, and in my past observations and polls of the pros, that seems to be the size most prefer. Lately though, it seems to be edging towards 12.5 mm.

Billy_Bob
04-26-2006, 06:16 AM
This is a give and take situation. I prefer a dime shaped tip and with this shape, larger (13mm) is better because the tip will keep its shape longer.

However you can't shape a 13mm to a dime shape because the edges will go down to the ferrule. So 12.5mm or 12.75mm is best when using a dime shaped tip.

Other than that, might want to get a couple of cheap cues and experiment with them. A custom cue maker can take one down to 12mm and the other to 11mm. Then try them and see what you like best. The best lesson on this stuff is to try different things yourself. It gets expensive, but well worth it.

bsmutz
04-26-2006, 08:49 AM
It is more important to be able to hit center ball consistently than it is to apply english. A larger tip makes it somewhat easier to hit center ball more reliably. It can also do a fine job of applying english when it is necessary. I had always preferred a smaller tip, but as my play has improved, I find myself using a larger tip. Right now I'm using 13mm but 12.5 is my preference (need to get my extra shaft and my new Talisman WB tip mated).