PDA

View Full Version : Number one reason GWB should be impeached NOW

Cueless Joey
04-26-2006, 03:29 PM
Fukkin price of gas is up to 3.30+ a gallon here now.
What's freakin' next? $50 to fill up a tank of an economy car.

hondo
04-26-2006, 04:28 PM
C'mon now, you know George feels your pain.
Besides, if Clinton wouldn't have had sex
with Monica, none of this would have happened.

pooltchr
04-26-2006, 04:48 PM
I read yesterday that GW told the EPA to lift the restrictions on the special blend gasolines for the summer. I guess now we have to jump on him for adding to the pollution problems.

How many people who are complaining about the price of gas car pool??????????? How many will give up the motor boat on the lake this summer??? How many will take the bus to work??? How many will cut back on the number of trips to the pool room each week? How many are willing to try to do something to help solve the problem???? How many would just rather blame the government????
Steve

moblsv
04-26-2006, 07:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> I read yesterday that GW told the EPA to lift the restrictions on the special blend gasolines for the summer. I guess now we have to jump on him for adding to the pollution problems.<hr /></blockquote>

yup - Now I get more polluted air to breath while riding my bicycle.

If I have to choose between high gas prices and polluting the environment and drilling in ANWR, I'll take the high gas prices.

With Bush in office I think we have far bigger things to worry about than oil prices. You kind of have a point, if prices are too high, do something about it. I have been a human powered vehicle activist, fighting for better bike route planning, for twenty years (I even built and raced a human powered vehicle in an ASME competition a few years ago) and I seem to lose more ground in the battle every year. It is so dangerous to ride my bicycle to the city now that I hardly do it anymore. We need infrastructure and alternatives to using fossil fuel, not more drilling, tax breaks for oil companies and lightened environmental regulations.

At least Bush finally realized that the reasons that brought about the tax breaks the oil companies have been getting for exploration are no longer valid. He should have dealt with that six years ago, not yesterday.

http://www.asme.org/Events/Contests/HPV/Human_Powered_Vehicle.cfm

Gayle in MD
04-26-2006, 10:02 PM
Tap Tap Tap!

Gayle in Md.

SPetty
04-27-2006, 06:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> How many people who are complaining about the price of gas car pool??????????? <font color="blue">I would pay more than the price of gas if I could find someone to drive me to and from work. </font color> How many will give up the motor boat on the lake this summer??? <font color="blue">Consider it done.</font color> How many will take the bus to work??? <font color="blue">I would pay more than the price of gas if I could find a bus to get me to and from work. </font color> How many will cut back on the number of trips to the pool room each week? <font color="blue">It's on the way home - no special trip needed. </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

Lester
04-27-2006, 06:23 AM
Gayle, you're way too predictable. Anything Anti GWB and you are "sure" to tap.

DickLeonard
04-27-2006, 06:28 AM
Pooltchr the only time I blame the Govt is when Energy Companies are in the White House plotting how to rape the Country. ALA Enron. I feel Your pain but don't lift the restrictions it is better to be living in a healthy environment that to drive cheaply. I can drive anywhere I want to go in 2 hours. Saratoga in 30 minutes,Lake Placid in 120 minutes who has to drive 20 hours to sweat in the Sun. I would rather freeze in Lake Placid and save all that gas.####

Gayle in MD
04-27-2006, 06:31 AM
No question, anything which exposes the lying crook in the White House, is good for my country! How would you have it? Protect the liar from accountability, my oh my, how predictable of you.

Gayle in Md.

DickLeonard
04-27-2006, 06:38 AM
Lester George did away with the restrictions placed on Smokestacks at Coalburning Electric Plants to have Scrubbers cleaning the emissions but our state attorney general took the US Govt to court and the court ruled that the EPA can't allow pollution it must act to prevent pollution and the same case will be made on lifting the restrictions on gasoline. It can't be done, don't do it. ####

Cueless Joey
04-27-2006, 07:55 AM
You don't suppose George had anything to do with the price of oil going up to record highs, do you?
It's gotta be coincidence. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

nAz
04-27-2006, 08:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hondo:</font><hr> if Clinton wouldn't have had sex
with Monica, none of this would have happened. <hr /></blockquote>

Bwahahahhahaha i never thought of it like this! everything is Clintons fault!! what a spin! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Gayle in MD
04-27-2006, 08:06 AM
HA HA HA, yeah, must be that Clinton is still somehow pulling the nation's strings, eventhough Bush is in the Oval office.

These prices are the result of Cheney's secret meetings, which he originally denied, BTW, with the Corporate Oil Fascists.

Gayle in Md.
SO Proud I Didn't Vote For George Bush!

Cueless Joey
04-27-2006, 08:49 AM
You don't suppose Georgie is sleeping with the Arabs, do you?
I'd love to see GWB and Dick's Swiss accnt.
I bet there's a lot of cheese in there.
Probably more than Ferndinand Marcos's old accnt. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

moblsv
04-28-2006, 04:01 PM
In response to America’s unchecked oil dependence, an impressive bipartisan array of senators and representatives have introduced legislation into both the House and Senate requiring aggressive oil savings over the next 25 years. In addition to the targets themselves, both bills also create a host of programs and requirements that will help save oil over the next 25 years. These range from mandating a heavy-duty vehicle fuel efficiency standard, to increasing tire efficiency standards, to encouraging advanced vehicle and alternative fuel technologies through tax incentives.

Here is a short summary of the bills:

S. 2025 would set oil savings targets at 2.5 million barrels per day (mbd) in 2016, 7 mbd by 2026, and 10 mbd by 2030. Agencies are required to issue regulations to achieve the oil savings based on existing and new authorities and are subject to Congressional review and reporting requirements.

Programs in both the Senate bill and the House companion bill include:

* Increasing the number of flexible fuel vehicles on the road by requiring a growing number of new vehicles to be capable of operating on alcohol fuels, such as ethanol and methanol, and a range of other efficient vehicle technologies;
* Increasing the tax credit for alternative fuel pumps and infrastructure to 50 percent of qualifying costs;
* Creating near term targets for production of cellulosic biofuels, building on the renewable fuel standard enacted in 2005 Energy Bill;
* Increasing the authorized spending for cellulosic biofuels production incentives to $200 million annually over five years;
* Doubling the research and development authorization level for the bioenergy program;
* Providing grants to encourage transit-oriented development to help build communities that help drivers reduce vehicle-miles traveled;
* Both bills provide $50 million over 4 years for a nationwide oil security media campaign to be administered by the Secretary of Energy, educating consumers about ways to reduce wasteful oil use.
Items that are unique to the Senate bill include an additional target for ethanol derived from sugar, and a program of loan guarantees and grants for farmer-owned ethanol producers to develop and build E85 distribution infrastructure including pumps.

H.R. 4409 would set oil savings targets at 2.5 mbd by 2015 and 5 mbd by 2025. Programs include those listed under S. 2025 above, and

* Incentives for installation of heavy-duty vehicle idling reduction equipment;
* Provides vehicle consumer tax credits for purchases of plug-in hybrid and flexible fuel hybrid vehicles;
* Phases out a loophole in the fuel economy standards for flexible fuel vehicles by tying the credits to the actual alternative fuel use in these vehicles;
* Creates a program for the Department of Energy to administer installation of alternative fuel pumps in areas with a significant percentage of registered flexible fuel vehicles;
* Establishes an “ethanol action plan” that ramps up biofuels for ground transportation and eliminates the tariff on the importation of ethanol.

You can find the full text of the bills here. http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=s109-2025

The administration has recognized our oil addiction, but is still not taking any steps to address this problem. Therefore, it is vital that Congress act now to fill the void the administration has left. Please help convince your representative that Congress should act now to reduce our oil consumption and protect our national, environmental, and economic security.

Gayle in MD
04-28-2006, 04:50 PM
Good post. I heard today that the percentage of money in a gallon of gas that is profit, amounts to half the money per gallon that goes for the gas tax.

BTW, did you hear that Dennis Hastard drove a little hybrid auto to a gas station in D.C. to make a photo op, then was caught getting back into his SUV, which he had left a few blocks away! LMAO!

Gayle in Md.

moblsv
04-28-2006, 05:07 PM
that one gave me a good chuckle

House Speaker Dennis Hastert of Ill., center, gets out of a Hydrogen Alternative Fueled automobile, left, as he prepares to board his SUV, which uses gasoline, after holding a new conference at a local gas station in Washington, Thursday, April 27, 2006 to discuss the recent rise in gas prices. Hastert and other members of Congress drove off in the Hydrogen-Fueled cars only to switch to their official cars to drive back the few block back to the U.S. Capitol.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&amp;u=/060427/480/dcpm10904272019

pooltchr
04-29-2006, 04:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote moblsv:</font><hr> These range from mandating a heavy-duty vehicle fuel efficiency standard, to increasing tire efficiency standards, to encouraging advanced vehicle and alternative fuel technologies through tax incentives.

* Increasing the tax credit for alternative fuel pumps and infrastructure to 50 percent of qualifying costs;

* Both bills provide $50 million over 4 years for a nationwide oil security media campaign to be administered by the Secretary of Energy, educating consumers about ways to reduce wasteful oil use.
<hr /></blockquote>

Uh-oh...Gayle isn't going to like this...tax credits and incentives to big business???? /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Quote Gayle
Good post. I heard today that the percentage of money in a gallon of gas that is profit, amounts to half the money per gallon that goes for the gas tax.

I have read this before. Isn't it interesting that the government actually makes more money from gasoline than the oil companies do???
Steve

Gayle in MD
04-29-2006, 05:21 AM
FYI, the tax credits were supposed to be used for new research, and new drilling, to take More of the burden off Americans, instead The Hunchback gets to retire with millions and millions. You just don't seem to want to speak to the way Corporate CEO's are screwing their employees, and our country in general. robbing them of their retirement, and selling out America for cheaper foreign labor.

Gayle in Md.
Against Corporate Fascism.

pooltchr
04-29-2006, 07:13 AM
That wasn't what I was saying. The main point I was trying to make was that everyone is complaining about the oil company profits, and the government, who does absolutely nothing to drill for, refine, or distribute gasoline, just takes what they want from them...a larger share than the companies make. Maybe the CEO's are getting rich...but someone in Washington is getting richer!!
If they really wanted to do something about the price of gas, don't tax it so much. It's the government that is gouging us, more so than the oil companies.
Steve

moblsv
04-29-2006, 07:55 AM
Oil is traded on the market, oil companies invest in drilling and when prices go up for their product they profit. That is great, it's business.

Taxes support roads and infrastructure. The taxes are clearly posted on the pump. Transparent taxation is fine. If they don't tax gas they will have to tax something else, I think taxes for roads and environmental remediation and such based on how much you use is the correct approach.

The government has, and is, subsidizing the exploration of oil costs. This was fine at one time. Now that is not applicable it is wrong for the government to subsidize an industry posting billions in quartly profits and paying executives 100's of millions.

If our tax dollars are going to go to an industry there needs to be a return on it, just like an investment in business. This return, however, isn't just a bottom line dollar amount. It is measured in dollars, environmental health, economic health (dollars), national security, human rights and America constitutional rights.

It's long past time to divest ourselves from oil and gas interests and start investing in renewable, internal, clean, non-foriegn controlled solutions.

Samson
04-29-2006, 10:39 AM
What is this knee-jerk reaction to "impeach." Pretty soon I'll be reading a thread title: "Impeach Bush: He left the Toilet Seat UP!!!"

People, get a hold of yourselves. As long as you target Bush, or Clinton, or Republicans, or Democrats, or Aliens from another planet, you'll be taking the easy way around thinking about the real, root causes of "problems."

The problem isn't that gas prices have increased, nor is it that thay have increased faster than our incomes have been adjusted. Americans make more income per capita, and spend the least per capita on gasoline than almost everyone else on the planet.

Now that the world-wide economy is beginning to close this gap, EVEN JUST A LITTLE, Americans look like a bunch of freakin' cry-babies! Well, welcome to Earth, and get used to it! Maybe Lard-ass Americans will have to begin walking, riding bikes, and skipping their daily Supersized Double Whoppers.

Gayle in MD
04-30-2006, 07:14 AM
Sleeps AND holds hands with them when they're in town! He looked mighty happy and cozy that time, walking alongside the Saudi Arabian Prince, smiling into his eyes, and holding his hand....I was wondering who was going to do whom, first, when they got to the bedroom!

Their accounts are so burried, we'll never find them. The first thing Bush did when he got in office was extend the number of years, and the restrictions on presidential disclosure, I'll try to find the info on that, but he was deep sixing not only his presidential protections from scrutiny, but also his father's secrets, and the Vice President's....Overt-Covert is the name of the game in this administration....

Gayle in Md.

Gayle in MD
04-30-2006, 07:23 AM
I want to thank you for your insult free response...

What you write is very true regarding the tax per gallon, but along with that, all the tax cuts that Bush gave to the OIL companies, were supposed to benefit more research on their part...instead, it seems to be going to the CEO's retirement plans, just to name one benefactory.

Can you imagine the jobs that could be created in the effort to clean up the environment, acheive independence from foreign oil, and finding other resources for energy other than fossil fuels?

Also, I thought I read that the costs for piping oil from Alaska were so expensive, that it wasn't a feasible idea in the first place. Have you read anything about this?

Gayle in Md.

pooltchr
04-30-2006, 08:10 AM
With the price of foreign oil over $70 bbl, I don't think it is cost prohibitive for us to be finding our own sources. The problem is the environmentalists don't want us drilling in Alaska, and the tourism industry doesn't want us drilling offshore from Florida. The oil companies face a fight no matter where they go. GW said the other day that they need to increase refining capacity. Great! But nobody seems to want new refineries built in their back yard. We are overall a very selfish country. We want all the good, but leave the bad for someone else to deal with. Give me cheap gas, just don't get it from my neighborhood!
Think about it. If oil reserves were discovered under the Chesapeake Bay, how would you feel (honestly) about them drilling for it? Your reaction is the same that the oil companies face no matter where they go.
Steve

Oh, yes....You're welcome. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Gayle in MD
05-01-2006, 11:50 AM
As I understand it, Oil in Alaska, including the delivery costs, would save about one cent per gallon. IMO, supply and demand is being manipulated by a range of events, including Iraq, however, so is science, therefore, I wouldn't want more oil wells anywhere.

You know, we're in the mess we're in because we elect people who don't do what they promise they'll do, and that's a non partisan statement, lol, and because of greed.

Brazil, in the last ten years, has expanded the use of alternative non fossil fuel, and is energy independent. If big business and governement wasn't so corrupt, we could have done the same thing. Instead, we're destroying our atmosphere, while Oil CEO's making $165,000.00 a DAY, then retire, with retirements gifts of 500 million dollars.

BTW, I saw something about a guy in North or South Carolina who built his home incorporating solar energy, and he sells his surplus back to the utility company. The building cost is generally fifteen to twenty percent higher to build a "Green" home, but it would pay for itself in no time...

Gayle in Md.

pooltchr
05-01-2006, 04:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> As I understand it, Oil in Alaska, including the delivery costs, would save about one cent per gallon. IMO, supply and demand is being manipulated by a range of events, including Iraq, however, so is science, therefore, I wouldn't want more oil wells anywhere.
<font color="red"> If we aren't increasing exploration, drilling and refining, we can't keep up. Our population is growing daily, even without illegals coming in. The number of cars on the road increases daily, so even if each of us uses less, overall demand continues to increase. Where do we get the oil if we aren't drilling new wells? </font color>

You know, we're in the mess we're in because we elect people who don't do what they promise they'll do, <font color="red"> I don't think you have ever posted anything that I agreed with more than that statement! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color> and that's a non partisan statement, lol, and because of greed.

Brazil, in the last ten years, has expanded the use of alternative non fossil fuel, and is energy independent. If big business and governement wasn't so corrupt, we could have done the same thing. Instead, we're destroying our atmosphere, while Oil CEO's making $165,000.00 a DAY, then retire, with retirements gifts of 500 million dollars. <font color="red"> Somebody must think they are worth it, or they wouldn't be making it. </font color>

BTW, I saw something about a guy in North or South Carolina who built his home incorporating solar energy, and he sells his surplus back to the utility company. The building cost is generally fifteen to twenty percent higher to build a "Green" home, but it would pay for itself in no time...
<font color="red"> I heard something about that guy. I love it! Selling electricity to the power company! </font color>

Gayle in Md. <hr /></blockquote>

Driving home from work today, and waiting at a red light, I counted the number of Vans and SUVs verses regular cars. I didn't even worry about the kind of car (Lincoln or VW). The gas guzzlers OUTNUMBERED cars 21-18. By no means a scientific sampling, but it's sure something to think about!
Steve

Gayle in MD
05-02-2006, 04:41 AM
Personally, I'd prefer to see the money spent on alternative fuel, and solar energy. As for the gas hogs, the cafe' standards have been thrown out the window, hence the gas hogs. I know you don't like government intervention in the marketplace, but when scientists tell us what we're hearing today, I think government should have stepped in and put a stop to the auto industries refusal to be environmentally in tuned with their product. Since a change in usage has to begin with more MPG's, and the planet is showing signs of stress, I'm not for investing in more wells. I'm for emergency action to reduce usage.

Gayle...

pooltchr
05-02-2006, 04:59 AM
Gayle,
If we could increase the average MPG by 10%, but the number of cars on the road increases by 10% (numbers used for this example only, I don't know the actual rate) then we have gotten exactly nowhere in our efforts to reduce consumption.
The consumers have to stop buying the gas hogs before the auto companies will stop making them. And right now, I don't see that happening. There are more Hummers and Escalades on the road today than I can ever remember seeing.
Steve

Gayle in MD
05-02-2006, 05:08 AM
Steve,
My point is that the government should not allow automakers to put vehicles on the road that are gas guzzlers in the first place. Reducing dependency should come first, not cheaper prices for more environmentally unfriendly abuse to our planet, IMO. Enterprise, and money, should not come before saving our environment, IMO, instead, our pressing environment issues could become a framework for industry, jobs, and technology to decrease our pollution, and dependency on fossil fuel. That won't heppen while oil men run our country.

Gayle

Gayle

pooltchr
05-02-2006, 06:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> Steve,
My point is that the government should not allow automakers to put vehicles on the road that are gas guzzlers in the first place.
Gayle <hr /></blockquote>
This is probably where you and I are the farthest apart. I don't believe it is up to the government to dictate to any business what products they should be making. The market place will determine whether a product has value to a consumer. Once the government starts telling business what products to make and what products not to make, where would you draw the line? Once you open the door to give the government this kind of power, there is no turning back. Which business is next?
Steve

Gayle in MD
05-02-2006, 06:34 AM
Hey Steve,
Do you think our government should get involved in finding and giving fines to employers who hire illegals? If we didn't let government EVER get involved in business, we'd still have lead in our paint, no seatbelts, no safety standards, and a whole range of other problems. When it comes to our environment, if the government doesn't start stepping up to the plate, we won't have to worry about anything, soon.

It's crazy, governments all over the world, fighting over who gets to have the most Weapons of Mass Destruction, when the planet is now at great risk, and here we are fighting over oil!

Maybe that's why they say the love of money is the root of all evil. Some government interference in business is at times appropriate, IMO.

Gayle in Md.

pooltchr
05-02-2006, 06:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> Hey Steve,
Do you think our government should get involved in finding and giving fines to employers who hire illegals? <font color="red"> If business are violating specific laws, they should be punished according to the laws in place </font color> If we didn't let government EVER get involved in business, we'd still have lead in our paint, no seatbelts, no safety standards, and a whole range of other problems. When it comes to our environment, if the government doesn't start stepping up to the plate, we won't have to worry about anything, soon.

It's crazy, governments all over the world, fighting over who gets to have the most Weapons of Mass Destruction, when the planet is now at great risk, and here we are fighting over oil!

Maybe that's why they say the love of money is the root of all evil. Some government interference in business is at times appropriate, IMO.

Gayle in Md. <hr /></blockquote>

I'm not saying government regulations aren't necessary in some cases...just that they should be very limited. Right now, the federal government has way too much power over way too many citizens.
Steve

Gayle in MD
05-02-2006, 07:17 AM
I agree...they shouldn't be spying on us either. And, with more lobbyist on K. Street than we have representatives on the hill, (They've more than trippled, BTW, since republicans have been in office,) you are right to say there are people other just oil people making money on this.

What I see is a refusal on government's part to implement conservation, and environmental limits on business in the interest of corporate profits, money in their hot little claws, and votes. We're all affected by the air we breath, how the hell could the government dilute Cafe' standards, in the auto industry, in the midst of the kind of air pollution we are faced with?

Hey Steve, my uncle ran a dry cleaning business, in his young years, and before he built his bowling lanes. Later he became a millionaire, had a great life, and everything to live for, but the cleaning fluids, which stayed on the market for years, btw, after the government knew they were killing people, caused him to die with bone cancer year later when he was only fifty. Just look now at the Pharmaceutical industry, huge profits, but people dying from using dangerous drugs, and how Bush changed the laws so that medical law suits are less obtrusive. Do we want a government that cares only about the bottom line, and nothing about the condition of our planet, and the health of it's people? The way I see it is that Government does not use it's power to preserve and protect the Constitution of The United States. The first responsibility of government is to protect the common good. They sure didn't do that when they weakened the Cafe' standards for the automobile industry. Instead of setting an example for the rest of the world, we have become just another piggy nation. When it comes to the health of its citizens, a government which bows down to Corporate Profits, and CEO cronies, instead of protecting health of all of us, is just another corrupt government, IMO. We don't eve know how much all the chemicals and pollution in our environment affect our health, only that more and more people are dying with cancer who are also NON SMOKERS!

Gayle in Md.