PDA

View Full Version : people who choke on purpose

jimbojim
04-28-2006, 07:42 PM
Last wednesday, I played for the first time against my pool instructor Danny Hewitt(he won the 10-ball tournament in Trump Marina in 2003). We just played a few friendly 9-ball racks or should I say I watched him clearing the table /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif. On the last rack, he decided to choke on the 7 to let me clear 7 to 9 to win the last game. I don't why but I felt a little bit pissed to have the game handed so easily like that

How would you feel?

pooltchr
04-29-2006, 05:16 AM
I suppose it would depend on the circumstances. Friendly game, just foolin' around, I don't see any problem with it, though I don't see any point either. Having someone hand you a game isn't worth as much as actually winning it. On the other hand, maybe he was just trying to make you feel good. I shoot with several of my students. I don't think I would try to give away a game, although I might miss a shot here or there, just to see how they play out and see if they have been learning some of the things we might have been working on.
Not really a big deal either way, IMO.
Steve

Billy_Bob
04-29-2006, 08:42 AM
It has been my experience that people will refuse to play me anymore if I win a bunch of games when playing them. And it seems there are a *lot* of players like this.

But if I am losing most games or it is 50/50, then they will play me forever.

Also in a learning situation, I always say it does not help my game any to play against someone who can break and run, break and run. I'm just sitting there watching them run the table. (Although now I get more out of this because I understand what they are doing and can watch how they are hitting the cue ball, then see where cue ball goes, etc.) I am happy these days if I get at least one shot on the table per game (when practicing).

SPetty
04-29-2006, 04:29 PM
I really don't like it if I'm playing someone and I feel like they miss on purpose.

jjinfla
04-29-2006, 05:09 PM
So, am I to understand that every time a pro misses a shot he/she did that on purpose?

Could it be possible that he just missed the shot?

The longer I play the more I realize that people just miss shots. Even the very good players.

Jake

Drop1
04-29-2006, 06:58 PM
Tell him how you feel. Its kind of chicken sh7t not to.

Stretch
04-29-2006, 11:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> I suppose it would depend on the circumstances. Friendly game, just foolin' around, I don't see any problem with it, though I don't see any point either. Having someone hand you a game isn't worth as much as actually winning it. On the other hand, maybe he was just trying to make you feel good. I shoot with several of my students. I don't think I would try to give away a game, although I might miss a shot here or there, just to see how they play out and see if they have been learning some of the things we might have been working on.
Steve <hr /></blockquote>

This may sound a little insensative, but i don't let up on anyone, ever. It's not out of malice, and i reolize that a rack or two here or there dosn't make a damn bit of difference in the big picture. But to someone that has never bested you in a rack or a match, to win, that's a big accomplishment. I would never cheat someone who is trying thier best to finially win and know it wasn't a gift. St. &gt; play to win, it's your only chance &lt;

Stretch
04-29-2006, 11:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stretch:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> I suppose it would depend on the circumstances. Friendly game, just foolin' around, I don't see any problem with it, though I don't see any point either. Having someone hand you a game isn't worth as much as actually winning it. On the other hand, maybe he was just trying to make you feel good. I shoot with several of my students. I don't think I would try to give away a game, although I might miss a shot here or there, just to see how they play out and see if they have been learning some of the things we might have been working on.
Steve <hr /></blockquote>

This may sound a little insensative, but i don't let up on anyone, ever. It's not out of malice, and i reolize that a rack or two here or there dosn't make a damn bit of difference in the big picture. But to someone that has never bested you in a rack or a match, to win, that's a big accomplishment. I would never cheat someone who is trying thier best to finially win and know it wasn't a gift. St. &gt; play to win, it's your only chance &lt; <hr /></blockquote>

I should have included this in my last post, but it's not for the crybaby's that lose 2 or 3 racks then quit you that gives me any particular satisfaction. It's the guys (and girls) that are comeing up and learning and do thier best and come back time after time trying to beat "the jinks" that i play my hardest. You know how there is always someone who seems to have your number no matter what. Then there's that magical day when it actually happens! Hell sometimes i'm celebrating right along with them that they beat me lol. Wierd, i know......St.

Rich R.
04-30-2006, 05:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jimbojim:</font><hr> Last wednesday, I played for the first time against my pool instructor Danny Hewitt(he won the 10-ball tournament in Trump Marina in 2003). We just played a few friendly 9-ball racks or should I say I watched him clearing the table /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif. On the last rack, he decided to choke on the 7 to let me clear 7 to 9 to win the last game. I don't why but I felt a little bit pissed to have the game handed so easily like that

How would you feel? <hr /></blockquote>
There are a few possiblities here.

Assuming you were not playing for any cash, he many have lost his concentration, or been distracted, and just missed the shot. Trust me, I have seen pros miss shots before.

As your instructor, he may have wanted to see if his instruction was doing any good, so he tested to see if you could run "three freakin' balls" and get out, when you had to. Consider it a class quiz.

Also as your instructor, he may have wanted to build a little confidence in his student.

There are probably many other possibilities and I wouldn't make too much of it. Someday, when you are playing against Danny in a tournament, and he misses the 7 ball in the hill-hill game, you won't be asking this question. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

PoolSharkAllen
04-30-2006, 05:40 AM
Since you indicated that you were playing some friendly games of 9-ball, I'm inclined to agree with Rich that this was a class quiz to see how you perform under pressure in finishing out the rack. Consider the experience as having passed this quiz but you still have many more quizes to go! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

pooltchr
04-30-2006, 05:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stretch:</font><hr>
This may sound a little insensative, but i don't let up on anyone, ever. <hr /></blockquote>

Stretch,
I agree with you for the most part. But as an instructor, I will back off sometimes with a student to see how they respond given certain opportunities.
I had a student I worked with a few years ago. If we were playing, many times I would forgo the run out and play safe. It taught him that there is more to the game than pure offence, and he has also developed the ability to get out of jail much more frequently.
My job isn't always to win...with my students, it's to teach them how to win.
Playing against someone who isn't a student...I go all out on every shot.
Steve

Scott Lee
04-30-2006, 09:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> I really don't like it if I'm playing someone and I feel like they miss on purpose. <hr /></blockquote>

Who? Me? Ok, Ok...I'll NEVER miss again, playing you! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott

jimbojim
04-30-2006, 11:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote jimbojim:</font><hr> Last wednesday, I played for the first time against my pool instructor Danny Hewitt(he won the 10-ball tournament in Trump Marina in 2003). We just played a few friendly 9-ball racks or should I say I watched him clearing the table /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif. On the last rack, he decided to choke on the 7 to let me clear 7 to 9 to win the last game. I don't why but I felt a little bit pissed to have the game handed so easily like that

How would you feel? <hr /></blockquote>
There are a few possiblities here.

Assuming you were not playing for any cash, he many have lost his concentration, or been distracted, and just missed the shot. Trust me, I have seen pros miss shots before.

As your instructor, he may have wanted to see if his instruction was doing any good, so he tested to see if you could run "three freakin' balls" and get out, when you had to. Consider it a class quiz.

Also as your instructor, he may have wanted to build a little confidence in his student.

There are probably many other possibilities and I wouldn't make too much of it. Someday, when you are playing against Danny in a tournament, and he misses the 7 ball in the hill-hill game, you won't be asking this question. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I asked him if he choked on purpose and he said "yeah, we are having fun and you cleared the table..don't worry about it" While I have to agree with Rich that it was probably doing something to see how I can play and that's kind of him but when I play in tournaments, people don't choke on purpose. When I play against very good players, I may not have too many shots but I have to make them count.

I'm not pissed at Danny, he is a very nice guy, we always laugh...I'm pissed that maybe I didn't really win this rack because of my skills after all.

9_Ball_Junky
04-30-2006, 01:24 PM
i can look at this from 2 perspectives...........when i was learning to play, i used to hate it when people would "throw" games.......it p!ssed me off, but now, when i am shooting against someone who looks up to me and asks me for advice on a consistent basis, but still has a lot to learn, i occasionally throw games, and it may not be missing one shot, i may intentionally miss a couple times, yet leave them a tough shot to have them make the best of it..........JMO, but an instructor doing that for one of his students is kind of a gift from my point of view.........

jtlabs
04-30-2006, 06:08 PM
Just out of curiosity, is this the same Danny who once in a while commentates on some accustats videos? Very Old Guy but smart as a wip.

Rich R.
04-30-2006, 07:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jtlabs:</font><hr> Just out of curiosity, is this the same Danny who once in a while commentates on some accustats videos? Very Old Guy but smart as a wip. <hr /></blockquote>
Danny Hewitt is not that old.
http://www.azbilliards.com/gallery/2006turningstonehr/IMG_0247.jpg

Ralph S.
05-03-2006, 02:58 PM
You are thinking of Danny DiLiberto. &lt;sp&gt;?

DickLeonard
05-04-2006, 05:28 AM
jimbojim true story I would play often with a salesman who had the afternoons off. His play was improving rapidly, I played him 125-30, he ran 28 and played safe, left me a shot and I ran 125 and out. He broke his cue over his knee and I never saw him again. If I had that game over again I would have missed early on. ####

Fran Crimi
05-04-2006, 06:33 AM
Well, Mosconi did it to me when I played him in an exhibition match. He whispered in my ear that he would run 100 balls and intentionally miss the 101st ball to give me a chance to shoot, which is what he did. Should I have been mad about that? I thought it was pretty nice of him.

Fran

DickLeonard
05-04-2006, 10:47 AM
Fran and everybody thought badly of Willie Mosconi, from what I felt from talking with him he was always expected to run 150 and out. He wasn't allowed to just have an off game.####

BigRigTom
05-04-2006, 10:54 AM
So Fran, tell us.....
"How many did you run before you intentionally missed to give Willie the table back?" /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif