PDA

View Full Version : The Predator Killer!!!!!!

runout1961
04-29-2006, 06:00 PM
Hello All,

Just got in my OB-1 shaft today. I first tried this shaft out at the super billiards expo but by the time I decided to buy it they were sold out. So the first thing I did when i got home was call Royce and ordered my shaft with the hearty military discount /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I have been playing with a predator shaft faithfully for years and have not found a shaft to take it's place until now. So needless to say I think it's time for the 314 to take the backseat.

Have any of you bought the OB-1 shaft? What do you think?

-John

Rich R.
04-29-2006, 06:46 PM
I have never been a lover of the Predator shafts. In fact, I wouldn't use one to support a plant in my garden. However, I did try the OB-1 at the Super Billiards Expo and I was very impressed. It seemed like a very good shaft. If I wasn't satisfied with the shaft I was using, I would certainly be buying one for myself.

BTW, the people selling them seemed to be very nice people. They weren't pushy at all. Of course, I don't think they had to be pushy. They had a good product.

BillPorter
04-29-2006, 06:59 PM
Glad to hear how well you like it. I have one on order and should be getting it next week. I've been using Predator shafts most of the time over the past couple of years.

SPetty
04-30-2006, 07:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote runout1961:</font><hr> I have been playing with a predator shaft faithfully for years and have not found a shaft to take it's place until now. So needless to say I think it's time for the 314 to take the backseat. <hr /></blockquote>Congratulations on your new shaft! I wholeheartedly agree and experienced the same thing you did - I was a Predator user until I found the OB-1. Great shaft, great people. I own two (so far!). My play results seem better since I got the OB-1... Have you noticed that there is less deflection/squirt with your OB-1 than with your Predator?

drawshot
04-30-2006, 11:27 PM
I have not have the chance to shoot with the OB1 yet... but have a 314.
How do you compare the taper or the OB1 vs. the 314?

Sid_Vicious
05-01-2006, 06:14 AM
I'll have purchased a total of six once my new cue is finished...getting two with that cue. I suggest you don't play with anything else unless you have to due to a lack of having your own cue at the time. These shafts are so performance enhanced that you really should tame the thing and stick with it. I've seen a few players buy them and not allow themselves to get to know the shaft, and vasilated(sp?) back and forth to the old shaft when under pressure to win. You are not doing yourself any favors with this approach, trust me...sid

SPetty
05-01-2006, 05:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote drawshot:</font><hr> How do you compare the taper or the OB1 vs. the 314?<hr /></blockquote>I think they're very similar - I think they both have the longer "professional" taper, and I think they both spec out at 12.75 mm. I didn't notice any difference in the taper that required adjustment. I wholeheartedly recommend the OB-1 to anyone who really likes their Predator. Everyone that I've heard of that really likes their Predator likes the OB-1 even more. I know I do. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I hope you have a chance to try one sometime. Or take a chance... www.obcues.com (http://www.obcues.com)

ryushen21
05-01-2006, 06:25 PM
I should get mine this week!!!!!

Wolven
05-01-2006, 06:30 PM
I have gone from I love OB-1 to I can take it or leave it. I don't think there is an advantage in playing with OB-1 over a 314. The two shafts are the same. At this point I prefer 314 a month ago it was OB-1 a month from now it may be OB-1 once again. I do know one thing Z-shaft is superior to OB-1.

onepocketfanatic
05-02-2006, 12:28 AM
Never tried either. With regard to stiffness,is the OB-1 stiffer than a 13mm shaft? Maybe I'll try one when I go to Vegas in a couple of weeks for the teams 8 ball tourney.

Wolven
05-02-2006, 01:12 AM
It depends on the 13mm shaft. However, OB-1(12.75) is very stiff. I never get a feeling of buckling. There is never a feeling of the shaft gliding/bouncing off the QB either.
OB-1 (12.3) is probably just as stiff although it has less power. I would definitely give this shaft a try if I was you.

catscradle
05-02-2006, 06:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote runout1961:</font><hr> Hello All,

Just got in my OB-1 shaft today. I first tried this shaft out at the super billiards expo but by the time I decided to buy it they were sold out. So the first thing I did when i got home was call Royce and ordered my shaft with the hearty military discount /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I have been playing with a predator shaft faithfully for years and have not found a shaft to take it's place until now. So needless to say I think it's time for the 314 to take the backseat.

Have any of you bought the OB-1 shaft? What do you think?

-John <hr /></blockquote>

I got one because I like the way it played a lot when I tried it at SBE. Unfortunately, when push came to shove I find I still prefer a standard (read that NOT predator) shaft's play and I can't make the transition. The OB-1 is unfortunately just hanging in my rack. I take it out now and again and try it, but I still prefer my standard shafts.

wolfdancer
05-02-2006, 10:35 AM
Sounds like me.......it's a great shaft, but it just sits there, rusting away.

Sid_Vicious
05-02-2006, 01:12 PM
Which part of what I wrote sounds like you???sid

SPetty
05-02-2006, 02:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr> Unfortunately, when push came to shove I find I still prefer a standard (read that NOT predator) shaft's play and I can't make the transition. The OB-1 is unfortunately just hanging in my rack. I take it out now and again and try it, but I still prefer my standard shafts.<hr /></blockquote>That's why I tend to couch my words when proclaiming my preference for my OB-1. IF you prefer a Predator, THEN you'll very likely like the OB-1 TONS better. If you don't prefer a "low squirt/low deflection" shaft, then you won't prefer the OB-1.

I really prefer mine! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sid_Vicious
05-02-2006, 03:29 PM
I like it cuz it's pretty /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif sid

SPetty
05-02-2006, 03:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I like it cuz it's pretty /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif<hr /></blockquote>Well, yeah, there's that... /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

wolfdancer
05-02-2006, 03:38 PM
"I've seen a few players buy them and not allow themselves to get to know the shaft, and vasilated(sp?) back and forth to the old shaft when under pressure to win."

I have the shaft, but don't bring it to any tournaments....

Wolven
05-03-2006, 08:27 AM
I change between 314 and OB-1 often. The reason is that sooner or later I start to play badly with one of them. The change seems to get me out of the slump and keep me sharper I have realized this not too long ago. The two shafts have the same diameter and deflection(squirt) both have medium tips sniper vs moori. So, they play in a similar manner yet there are small differences in feel and texture.

Once someone gets used to a technology shafts it is a lot easier to play with then a standard shaft but like you say it takes time to make the adjustment.
I know people who go back and forth between technology and standard shafts and as the result never adjust and just complain that Predator is junk.

wolfdancer
05-03-2006, 09:07 AM
Not having any real pool talent, myself....I didn't understand why the good players were telling me how long it took them to get used to their Predator (I used to run tournaments)
Now that I've had mine for a couple of years...I'd have a hard time adjusting back to a reg shaft....I even gave away a Joss shaft, with an ivory ferrule, recently.
The 314 shaft with the LePro tip though, doesn't hit anywhere as good as when you put a layered tip, or even a Triangle tip on it.

Sid_Vicious
05-03-2006, 09:08 AM
Did you have your OB1 made 12.75? All of mine are 13mm best I remember...sid

SPetty
05-03-2006, 10:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Did you have your OB1 made 12.75? All of mine are 13mm best I remember...<hr /></blockquote>Sid, from the obcues.com web site: "All shafts are 12.75mm at the tip with an 11 modified taper that has been exclusively developed for the OB-1."

Sid_Vicious
05-03-2006, 11:57 AM
All this time, I didn't notice, but it could answer why I get the new spin I do with the shaft. Thanks for the info...sid