PDA

View Full Version : Tip Glue

slipstroke
04-30-2006, 09:41 AM
I install tips on 1-piece house sticks at the place where I play pool. I have no idea what the ferrules are made out of since there is more than one brand of cue. I am curious as to what would be the best glue to use when you don't know what type of ferrule you're applying a tip to?
Thanks,
Slipstroke

BillPorter
04-30-2006, 10:29 AM
I'd use a Super Glue Gel, either Duro or Loctite. These days, I'd favor Loctite. Remember that this stuff loses his strength once it has been opened. You can store it in a refrigerator, unopened, for a few months, but when you open it, don't use it after just a few days.

qbert404
05-02-2006, 10:36 PM
I'm the cue man at a local pool room and I use Duro brand Quick Gel. I think it's $2.94 for a 2-pack at my local Wal-Mart. Haven't tried Locktite, I might though after reading it here. I haven't had much success with any other brand I've tried.

CrownCityCorey
05-04-2006, 10:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote slipstroke:</font><hr> I install tips on 1-piece house sticks at the place where I play pool. I have no idea what the ferrules are made out of since there is more than one brand of cue. I am curious as to what would be the best glue to use when you don't know what type of ferrule you're applying a tip to?
Thanks,
Slipstroke <hr /></blockquote>

This is the goods:

http://www.tigerproducts.com/store/product.php?productid=16155&amp;cat=4&amp;page=1

cushioncrawler
05-08-2006, 12:54 AM
Me, myself, i uze 5 minute araldite (part A &amp; part B). I make lots &amp; lots of groovez on the face of the qtip, especially on the ferrule (especially if it iz a metallic ferrule), and on the back of the leather tip, uzing a fine triangular file (uzed for sharpening sawz before the civil war). I put araldite on both surfacez -- rubbing it forcefully into the groovez -- before bringing together, pushing hard to squeez out the excess. Stand cue upright untill set -- give much attention to make sure that the tip duznt drift.

I heat both surfacez over a gas flame, before bringing together -- this savez a few minutes. After set, i hold the qtip high above a gas flame, for say 10 minutes -- but i dont let it get so hot that it iz too hot to touch -- this heating allowz u to uze the cue immediately -- and it givez higher strength, perhaps equivalent to 24hr araldite.

If a cue haz a broken ferrule, i cut the ferrule off &amp; dont replace it -- ie i am happy to uze a cue without a ferrule. Instead, i uze a steel or aluminium washer (exact dia) between the cue and the leather tip -- lots of groovez are needed in the washer. This givez me the equivalent of an old-fashioned leather tip -- theze had a bakelite backing i think -- no ferrule needed. Caveat -- all of my cues are cheap.

lukeinva
05-09-2006, 08:16 AM
Tiger products make a tip glue that is freakin awesome I use to install tips at the local hall and tip would always come off, I switched to the tiger glue and I didnt have a single tip come off! Stuff works great!

SpiderMan
05-09-2006, 08:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote qbert404:</font><hr> I'm the cue man at a local pool room and I use Duro brand Quick Gel. I think it's $2.94 for a 2-pack at my local Wal-Mart. Haven't tried Locktite, I might though after reading it here. I haven't had much success with any other brand I've tried. <hr /></blockquote>

I've also had good luck with the Duro Quick Gel. The Wal-Mart in Plano has the two-pack for $1.87.

One caution, though - if used where both surfaces to be joined are fairly impervious, such as glueing a hard pad to a capped ferrule, the hardening is not instantaneous. You can separate the joint and still touch un-hardened glue in the center. For such applications, I let it set about 30 minutes before handling.

SpiderMan

SpiderMan
05-09-2006, 08:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BillPorter:</font><hr> I'd use a Super Glue Gel, either Duro or Loctite. These days, I'd favor Loctite. Remember that this stuff loses his strength once it has been opened. You can store it in a refrigerator, unopened, for a few months, but when you open it, don't use it after just a few days. <hr /></blockquote>

Bill,

I use the Duro, and haven't had those problems. Remember, the stuff was likely stored (not in a refrigerator) for more than several months before you acquired it anyway.

Longevity after opening is pretty dependent on how quick and careful you are about re-closing the tube. I never set the tube down without recapping, and have had good results with tubes that were opened four to six months prior. Normally it gets used up long before that, though.

SpiderMan

Cueless Joey
05-09-2006, 09:08 AM
I've had nothing but problems with Loctite Super Glue Gel.
I'll never use it again EVER.

BillPorter
05-09-2006, 10:03 AM
That's good information. Thanks, Spidey!

wolfdancer
05-09-2006, 10:04 AM
Joey, try this.....dampen the tip surface to be glued....dampen, don't soak....I used a damp tissue.
The activater for super glues is water.
[ QUOTE ]
Cyanoacrylate is an acrylic resin that cures (forms its strongest bond) almost instantly. The only trigger it requires is the hydroxyl ions in water, which is convenient since virtually any object you might wish to glue will have at least trace amounts of water on its surface. <hr /></blockquote>

web page (http://science.howstuffworks.com/question695.htm)
I know one repair guy that uses Loctite exclusively

Cueless Joey
05-09-2006, 10:47 AM
I even coated the bottom of the tips with thin coat of super glue. Let it dry for two minutes then glue it to the ferrule. Still popping out.
Loctite 454 costs a lot more but they've worked perfectly for me.

wolfdancer
05-09-2006, 11:01 AM
454 I think is what they used also...there was an industrial store a couple blocks from me, and they asked me to buy some,when they were running low.
I never heard of glueing first, then reglueing??
With glues, the thinner the layer, usually the better.
I tried many glues, when I was doing repairs...white glues, Gorilla glue (great for wood to wood),etc...some glues, even super glues have a problem with some plastics, esp the soft ones the thermoplastics, like Meucci used. The harder thermoset ferrules seemed to have less problems???
When the tip pops off....do you see clean spots on the ferrule where the glue did not adhere?
I now pay someone else to do my tips...less headaches.

wolfdancer
05-10-2006, 02:52 PM
Say, you might want to try this brand new German super glue
web page (http://www.alldumb.com/item/28266/)