PDA

View Full Version : NEW vs used Gold Crown III

pinballkoenig
04-30-2006, 10:43 AM
Here's my dilemma...I have an offer on a used GCIII for $1600. I have another offer for a new in box GCIII(with ball return) for $3600. Which deal is best? I'm a bit afraid of the used table...it's 10 years old and supposedly in very good condition.
Help!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Rich R.
04-30-2006, 10:59 AM
I won't recommend which you should buy, but I will tell you, GC-III's, with ball returns, have a nasty habit of the balls falling out of the return box. It gets irritating, after a while, and you better have carpet on the floor.

Scott Lee
04-30-2006, 06:04 PM
Rich...Although you're right about the balls falling out, that can be fixed with a short piece of 1x1 wood, laid inside the bottom edge of the box. It keeps the balls from falling out, and can be painted to match the box. Cheap fix for an otherwise good table.

Scott

pinballkoenig
05-01-2006, 11:45 AM
I bought the New GCIII in the box for $3600. Is that a pretty good deal?
Bob

Eric.
05-01-2006, 02:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pinballkoenig:</font><hr> I bought the New GCIII in the box for $3600. Is that a pretty good deal?
Bob <hr /></blockquote>

Does it matter? You paid for it already /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Most people consider the GC III the "worst" of the four GC's. Even still, it's a good table and you should have no regrets. The biggest issue with the GCIII is the slates may pop. That is, one piece shifts away from the other, creating a seam on the playing surface. A good table installer knows how to avoid that. I would suggest getting a good, known table mechanic. Set-up is the most important thing. A good mechanic can make a good table play great. Unfortunately, a poor mechanic can make a great table play like crap...

Eric