PDA

View Full Version : Immigration facts???

nAz
05-03-2006, 03:03 PM
Got these from http://citizenjoe.org ... assuming all is accurate what do these numbersn tell you?

General

* Number of immigrants who arrive each year:
o Legal immigrants:
+ 1.1 million (2002) (BCIS)
+ 750 thousand average over the past decade (PEW)
o Illegal/undocumented immigrants:
+ approximately 1.0 million (1999) (INS)
+ about 750 thousand, but with many immigrants returning or gaining legal status, the net growth in the number of undocumented immigrants is about 500 thousand a year (PEW)
* Total number of illegal/undocumented immigrants in the U.S.:
o Approximately 7 million in 2000 (INS)
o Approximately 11.5 - 12 million in 2006 (PEW) (Note: because these stats come from two differenct sources, the two together don't necessarily mean there was a 4 million jump in the number of illegal immigrants in five years.)
* Number of foreign born in U.S.:
o 35 million (11.5% total population) (CIS)

Work

* Unemployment among (2003) (Census):
o Foreign born: 7.5%
o Natives: 6.2%
* % of total workforce that is made up of illegal immigrants (2006) (Pew):
o 5%

Services

* Percentage of school aged children with immigrant mothers:
o 18.3% (CIS)
* Costs of educating illegal immigrant students:
o $7.4 billion (FAIR)
* Percent of Americans using welfare who are (CIS):
o Immigrant households: 25.5%
o Native households: 16.7%

Netcost/benefit of immigration

* This is a complex story, but CBASSE, CIS and NIF have some different theories. The upshot: some argue that immigrants (illegals in particular) are a drain on government services; others argue that immigrants fuel the economy with their labor and provide a net gain if you factor in their children's future earnings.

Where the facts are from:

* BCIS - Bureau of Citizen and Immigration Services - government site
* CBASSE - Commission on Behavioral and Social Sciences and Education, a division of the National Academies
* CIS - Center for Immigragion Studies - nonpartisan think tank with a "vision which seeks fewer immigrants but a warmer welcome for those admitted."
* FAIR - Federation for American Immigration Reform - nonpartisan public interest organization that seeks "to promote immigration levels consistent with the national interest more traditional rates of about 300,000 a year."
* NIF - National Immigration Forum - immigrant rights organization.
* Pew - Pew Hispanic Center - another research wing of Pew, one of CitizenJoe's favorite sources of dependable nonpartisan info

Other reading

* Pew's survey of Mexican migrants.
* CIS's 2005 report on new Census data.
* Congressional Budget Office's report (pdf) on lawful immigration - and a handy chart on routes to becoming an American citizen.

Updated March 6, 2006

SpiderMan
05-03-2006, 03:23 PM
Naz,

I had to read all the way to your last paragraph before it became apparent you weren't using "PEW" to denote something you thought stinks /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SpiderMan

nAz
05-04-2006, 02:10 PM
err acually i did mean somethings that stinks. ;(

Fran Crimi
05-04-2006, 04:12 PM
I think those numbers mean that there are a lot more illegals here than we think there are.

Fran

Vagabond
05-04-2006, 08:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr>

* Pew's survey of Mexican migrants.
Hi naz my friend,
They are not migrants.They are CRIMINALS that invaded a sovereign nation.Anyone that defends a criminal is a criminal.This country now became a land of criminals.American glory does not exist any more and this land is going to gutter with Tuberculosis,parasitic infections brought in by these criminals.It is all over.i wish President Bush will order the marines to GUN DOWN every one that crosses our border with out permission.

<hr /></blockquote>