PDA

View Full Version : Southwest Cues - To be Jerry Franklin or not

07-07-2002, 07:48 PM
I was hoping I could get educated opinions on this: Debating on whether to get a Jerry Franklin-era Southwest or a newer one (2001 model). Is there really a difference in playability? Or is the premium paid on JF-era Southwests just due to the fact that Jerry's no longer around (and is therefore more collectible)?

Also, I would appreciate feedback from everyone who's played with a Southwest on their experience as far as "hit" quality and playability. Comparisons with Lambros cues and Searings would be helpful as well.

07-07-2002, 08:07 PM
SW will tell you they have the same quality control that existed pre franklin's death.

IF jerry was in TOTAL control of the quality of cues that passed through the shop, then there would have to be a difference in the quality of the present cues.

there is definitely a premium placed on jerry franklin era cue. personally, i think the old cues hit better, but that is personnal preference.

Cueless Joey
07-07-2002, 09:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: arnie:</font><hr> SW will tell you they have the same quality control that existed pre franklin's death.

IF jerry was in TOTAL control of the quality of cues that passed through the shop, then there would have to be a difference in the quality of the present cues.

there is definitely a premium placed on jerry franklin era cue. personally, i think the old cues hit better, but that is personnal preference. <hr></blockquote>......
Arnie, right after Jerry died, I saw some new SW's during the World 8-Ball Championships at the Riviera. I was shocked at the quality of some of the ones I saw. Two high-end ones I saw had broken in-lays and badly lined-up veneers. I frankly told the exhibitor those were defects. He had no response. A friend of mine has a few old SW's. They are all perfectly done.

07-07-2002, 10:37 PM
I have a 99 southwest that I love. However, I collect and shoot with a number of cues that I feel shoot as well if not better.

I have been told, and have not reason not to believe, that the present southwest's shoot and look as good as the "old" ones. The factory supposeldly has the same quality control regarding the number of times a shaft is "turned down" as well as the way wood is aged. Southwest has an "exact" method for tailoring the "taper" of both their shafts and butts. This "tapering" is uniformly the same (identical)on all of their cues. I'm told that the balance point is almost always 18&amp;1/2 inches from the butt. I've had no problems with mine whatsoever.

I don't think that there would be any demonstrable difference between pre-franklin or post. All of the cue-makers at Southwest follow a strict discipline in regards to the way that Franklin wanted his cues made.

In regards to how they compare with other cue-makers?? Well, this is all subjective. I collect cues and my two absolute favorites are a Jensen and Ernie Martinez. In my opinion they "hit" better. However, this is subjective. I have a friend who loves his Schon. I personally cannot stand how they play.

Regards,

Doug

JimS
07-08-2002, 06:46 AM
I've owned about 15 different South West cues and have played with about 20 of them. I can't tell any difference in hit quality or playability between the "Franklin era" cues and those built since Jerry passed. In fact, I have two favorites of the 15 or so I've owned. One of them was built in 87, the other in 99. The newer ones play just as well, in my opinion, and I love the hit I get with a South West.

I don't have any experience with the other cues you mentioned so I can't provide any comparison for you and I think that any comparison you might get doesn't really mean much as the feel from a cue is a very subjective thing. One player might love the hit from a cue while another won't be able to find anything special about it and another player might not care for that particular feel. It's all dependent on what you like.

Try to find a way to play with cues from the makers of your choice and determine which feels best to you. I just happen to be completely sold on the feel I get from a South West.

07-10-2002, 04:59 AM
i've had two experiences with SW that bothered me. SW was hardheaded about any inference i made about the quality of their shafts.

07-10-2002, 09:24 AM
I hate to break it but there is no Southwest cue factory. They are made in a two bedroom house in a neighborhood in Las Vegas. They are still top quality. There are only two cuemakers that work there and both worked with Jerry Franklin. They did most of the lathe work while he was alive. He made very few cues from start to finish by himself the last few years he was around. They are still top quality, but every cuemaker will make a mistake at some point

Rich R.
07-10-2002, 10:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> I hate to break it but there is no Southwest cue factory. They are made in a two bedroom house in a neighborhood in Las Vegas. They are still top quality. There are only two cuemakers that work there and both worked with Jerry Franklin. They did most of the lathe work while he was alive. He made very few cues from start to finish by himself the last few years he was around. They are still top quality, but every cuemaker will make a mistake at some point <hr></blockquote>
Most of the top cue makers due not have a "factory" and most have a handful of people working for them that do some of the work. It does not diminish the quality of the product they make.
Nobody makes a product without making a mistake once in a while. The quality of the product is based on what the cue maker does when a mistake is made. The good cue makers will correct the mistake long before the customer can see it.
JMHO. Rich R.

nAz
07-10-2002, 12:40 PM
How about a cue by Bender out in Alaska? i believe he studied under Jerry Franklin. also there is only a 12-15 month wait on his cues

9 Ball Girl
07-10-2002, 12:42 PM
Welcome back, Naz! /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

nAz
07-10-2002, 12:44 PM
? "What u talkin bout wilous" /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

07-10-2002, 11:11 PM
i didn't know bender worked with franklin. i know he worked at omega dpk that kershenbrock set up as well.

09-14-2002, 07:00 PM
i have a ernie martinez for sale.......or trade let me know if you are interested.......juston

you can contact me at jnc189s@aol.com

Vagabond
09-15-2002, 07:45 AM
Hi nAz,
What is mean`t by the top of the food chain? I asked u once about this and skirted the issue.Thanks in advance
vagabond

nAz
09-15-2002, 11:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Vagabond:</font><hr> Hi nAz,
What is mean`t by the top of the food chain? I asked u once about this and skirted the issue.Thanks in advance
vagabond <hr></blockquote>
Sorry i was not skirting the issue.i simply forgot about it.
I thought the call sign is pretty obvious,but im not very articulate.
in the animal kindom i believe Man is top on the food chain,Top of the pile The best
So being born and raised in Brooklyn and knowing how great the ppl and city is i call it the top of the food chain...
A quote i got from Old Dirty Bastard of Wu Tang Clan (a Progrssive Rap band) i beleve he is in jail right now... thats what he gets for leaving Brooklyn and moving to Staten Island
Hope all this clarifies the call sign thingy, if not let me know Ill ask Tom From Brooklyn to give it a shot he can proberly answere this better then i can... he is so cool with words lol

later

Drake
09-15-2002, 11:50 AM
He is Baffling You With B.S.....because the top of the Pool Food Chain in the Pool World would be some town in the Phillipines. Just ask any touring Pro, He'll tell you the same. This reminds me of being at my first pro tournament. A very well known American Pro stood up and said "I'll play anybody a 10 ahead set for 5,000..........except the Filipinos". Most of us in the audience thought this was funny.

09-15-2002, 03:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Drake:</font><hr> He is Baffling You With B.S.....because the top of the Pool Food Chain in the Pool World would be some town in the Phillipines. Just ask any touring Pro, He'll tell you the same. This reminds me of being at my first pro tournament. A very well known American Pro stood up and said "I'll play anybody a 10 ahead set for 5,000..........except the Filipinos". Most of us in the audience thought this was funny.
<hr></blockquote>

I gotta agree with you. Its just that in towns all over the Philippines, like where I used to grow up, children and adults learn to shoot pool with money on the line (a lot of times with money that's for rent or food). So a lot of people are used to the pressure of money games.

Another factor is, because of the humidity and cheap equipment, the tables there are generally much slower than here in the US. So your stroke really gets tested trying to move the cueball around.

nAz
09-15-2002, 05:20 PM
Nothing to do with pool fools!

food chains and trophic levels

"the feeding relationship describing which carnivore eats a herbivore that has eaten plants is called a food chain.
the level at which an organism feeds in a food chain is called its feeding, or trophic level. in this way of classifying feeding relationships, the producers are designated as trophic level one, simply because their energy has been transfered once, from sun to plant. All herbivores comprise level two, because here the energy has been transferred twice"

the animal at the end/top of the food chain (the animal that is not prey to any other predator) occupates the highest trophic level, and is at the top of the food chain. This process lends itself to the phrase "at the top of the food chain", meaning ( as i have already tried to say ) the best/the most successful. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

sigh

9 Ball Girl
09-15-2002, 06:01 PM
Gooooooo BROOKLYN!!!!

Wendy~~Brooklyn girl /ccboard/images/icons/cool.gif

PQQLK9
09-15-2002, 06:38 PM
Quote naz
"So being born and raised in Brooklyn and knowing how great the ppl and city is i call it the top of the food chain"...

I think "ppl" was interpeted to mean "pool players" instead of "people"

nAz
09-15-2002, 06:56 PM
I give up...

ODB!

09-15-2002, 08:11 PM
You ever play in the Brown Fox in Olongapo city outside the base.h

Fred Agnir
09-16-2002, 06:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: val2play:</font><hr> I was hoping I could get educated opinions on this: Debating on whether to get a Jerry Franklin-era Southwest or a newer one (2001 model). Is there really a difference in playability? Or is the premium paid on JF-era Southwests just due to the fact that Jerry's no longer around (and is therefore more collectible)?...<hr></blockquote>
I really don't think there's a premium in buying a Franklin-era cue. At least there isn't a premium that people think there is. That might be because only the Franklin-era cues that were marked are sure to get attention (from money-crazy collectors), while non-marked cues will lose a lot of interest simply because there are less people who can positively identify a Franklin-era cues. Does that make sense? Many people willing to shell out a lot of money (which drives the premium) may not have enough experience in the non-marked to even bid.

Fred

09-16-2002, 09:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: fatsam:</font><hr> You ever play in the Brown Fox in Olongapo city outside the base.h <hr></blockquote>

Nope. Grew up in a small town on the island of Cebu. Lots of great shooters there (and local action), but many of them just don't get the backing they need to go bigtime.