PDA

View Full Version : Someone wake me up, I think I'm dreaming...

bsmutz
05-04-2006, 10:18 AM
It's so much fun, it just seems like it should be illegal!
http://www.users.qwest.net/~swjcarolyn/images/newroom1.jpg http://www.users.qwest.net/~swjcarolyn/images/newroom3.jpg

Rich R.
05-04-2006, 10:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bsmutz:</font><hr> It's so much fun, it just seems like it should be illegal!<hr /></blockquote>
And, what time would you like us all to come over?
I suggest about 15 minutes after the beer is cold. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BigRigTom
05-04-2006, 10:44 AM
Looks GREAT!
Now you need some art work on the walls and some hoods on those table lights....then a bunch of pool nuts like us to come over and help you break it all in. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Wait.....
You may be dreaming though!

bsmutz
05-04-2006, 10:49 AM
Thanks to CCB members Billy Bob and Wolfdancer for helping make my dream a reality. The room needs some personality added and a few more odds &amp; ends to take care of construction-wise, but the tables are in. I feel like a little kid in a candy store. 760 on the snooker table and 860 on the pool table. The snooker table has a couple of little quirks, but not bad for an 88 year old. Now if only I could pot a ball, lol. I did make my first one handed table length bank shot on it last night, though!

wolfdancer
05-04-2006, 12:12 PM
It's not only a great "poolroom"...but Bill built it himself.
The vittles themselves, that they served, made the trip over there worth the effort. I'm directionally challenged, and it took three frantic phone calls to get me on the right roads.
I didn't do much to help out while there....just my usual "sidewalk sup.." bit.
Nice people, Bill and his wife....and what a great dog they have...one of them small Chinese, super friendly dogs....but it's an illegal......no papers. Couldn't talk Bill into giving me the dog..
I got to meet Billy Bob, as well....who made a long drive to get there and help out. BB is also a nice guy...and it's always good to finally meet folks you have been sharing your pool stories with....in my case, it's total bs....but I left before the tables were finished so they couldn't see my lack of talent.
Grilled steak and roast beef, beans, and salad......I'm thinking of dropping by every sunday, if that's the standard menu.....

wolfdancer
05-04-2006, 12:18 PM
Bill, the room photographs as good as it looks in real life.
You're going to get many hours of enjoyment out of it.....and as soon as we can agree on the spot....I'm thinking I'll take 9/6 and the snaps...to even things up a bit......
I'll come over fer a little one hole.
Do you take checks for the payoffs? I got lots of checks

Deeman3
05-04-2006, 12:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bsmutz:</font><hr> Thanks to CCB members Billy Bob and Wolfdancer for helping make my dream a reality. <hr /></blockquote>

bsmurtz:

Now that's what we call good people, even if they are liberal tofu eating democrats, they show up to help launch your great place.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Deeman
I'll just do the henny penny thing when I make Washington.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

nAz
05-04-2006, 01:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bsmutz:</font><hr> 760 on the snooker table and 860 on the pool table. <hr /></blockquote>

that is so sweet!

one thing 760 on the snooker table? i never heard of that it must play super fast!

BillPorter
05-04-2006, 02:26 PM
You walls are begging for some prints! The room looks great!

bsmutz
05-04-2006, 03:31 PM
At the pool hall where I last played snooker, the cloth was so old and worn that it was much faster than the brand new 760 is. The cushions on this table are pretty old, so they help make up for the fast cloth. I think it will be faster when it is broken in some. I haven't transferred all of the wall art and paraphenalia from the "old" room yet. My main focus will be on getting the garage door hung and the interior finishing done first.
Thanks for all the compliments.
Billy Bob and Wolfie were great to hang out and bs with. BB shoots a pretty good game and Wolfie talks a pretty good game. Hopefully they will be brave enough to come back! I tried to get 'em to eat some tofu, but they went for the steak instead. Guess they aren't as liberal as we thought?! And in Fufu's (the dog in question) defense, she does have papers. So far, she's never missed (better than my pool game). Anyone ever in the area and wants to stop by, you're always welcome.

Billy_Bob
05-05-2006, 07:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bsmutz:</font><hr>...Hopefully they will be brave enough to come back! ...<hr /></blockquote>

We played snooker for quite awhile and then one-pocket on the 9 ft. table. bsmutz (Bill) is an exceptional player. I did not win one game!

But if you have read some of my posts, this is exactly what I want and need, to play better players. So I sure will go back - often if he will put up with my "beginnerness" on the snooker and 9 ft. tables. He did mention something about people not wanting to come back over after they lose a lot. So maybe I have an advantage?

I don't have easy access to a 9 ft. table or a snooker table where I live, so playing at Bill's (bsmutz) house is quite a dilemma. Snooker... 9 ft... Snooker... 9 ft... Can't play both at once!

I have been wanting to learn one-pocket, but no one wants to play where I live. I did get someone to play recently though.

Bill gave me some one-pocket "lessons". He can kick and make his balls as well as bank. So not much of anywhere to leave him where he can't make a shot! I think I will really like playing this game.

So far as snooker goes, it is like starting all over again. Such tiny balls and such a large table! I'm just trying to pocket a ball period. I guess you can play position and use english? But when I move my tip over for english, there is no more ball left!

Anyway as I told Bill, I'll be happy to come back over and help him finish the room. Work before play as they say. Then he can give me some more "lessons" (kick my you know what!). Snooker or 9 ft. or both.

Scott Lee
05-05-2006, 01:10 PM
Wow, Bill...it sure looks a LOT different then when I was there last. Go figure! LOL Great job, and I'll definitely be stopping back when I'm in your neck of the woods again!

Scott

bsmutz
05-05-2006, 03:09 PM
I'd be disappointed if you didn't /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif.

wolfdancer
05-09-2006, 11:04 AM
Bill, wake up....it's time to pay the piper.....
You got the pool room....now there's that kitchen remodel job for the wife....

Snapshot9
05-09-2006, 11:21 AM
Looks to be a great room with a little more decorating. Nice tables. I foresee some great 'Golf' games on the Snooker table, and one pocket games on the Pool table with 3-4 friends on a lazy Sunday afternoon .... lol

bsmutz
05-09-2006, 01:32 PM
I have to admit, remodelling a kitchen is pretty far down on MY list of priorities. She's been such a good sport, though, so I'll have to do something one of these days. I guess the garbage disposal, new sink, and repair on the dishwasher weren't quite enough. (Did get me past the old birthday unscathed, though.)
None of my friends could hang with me playing golf, but we were playing with one ball each. Might be more fun with the two ball version. One pocket and snooker work for me on a lazy Sunday afternoon (or any afternoon for that matter)!

Alan Morris
05-18-2006, 10:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bsmutz:</font><hr> Thanks to CCB members Billy Bob and Wolfdancer for helping make my dream a reality. The room needs some personality added and a few more odds &amp; ends to take care of construction-wise, but the tables are in. I feel like a little kid in a candy store. 760 on the snooker table and 860 on the pool table. The snooker table has a couple of little quirks, but not bad for an 88 year old. Now if only I could pot a ball, lol. I did make my first one handed table length bank shot on it last night, though! <hr /></blockquote>

Hi there,

Does that 760 cloth have a nap on it like a snooker cloth should have may I ask?

When you come to recover the snooker table in time, you should consider using Strachan West Of England snooker cloth.

Looks like a nice room you have there though.

Best wishes.

Alan.

wolfdancer
05-18-2006, 10:42 AM
There is no nap on Simonis thanks to the weave.It's worsted, witha 30% (?)nylon content. Bill, however, at his age, needs a nap every now and then

"WOOL fabric brings to mind cozy warmth. Some wools are scratchy giving some people the idea that they are "allergic" to wool. Although wool fiber comes from a variety of animal coats, not all wool’s are scratchy but rather extremely soft. The wool fibers have crimps or curls which create pockets and gives the wool a spongy feel and creates insulation for the wearer. The outside surface of the fiber consists of a series of serrated scales which overlap each other much like the scales of a fish. Wool is the only fiber with such serration’s which make it possible for the fibers to cling together and produce felt. The same serration’s will also cling together tightly when wool is improperly washed and shrinks! Wool will not only return to its original position after being stretched or creased, it will absorb up to 30% of its weight in moisture without feeling damp. Its unique properties allow shaping and tailoring, making the wool the most popular fabric for tailoring fine garments. Wool is also dirt resistant, flame resistant, and, in many weaves, resists wear and tearing.

Basically, there are two different processes used in wool production. Woolen fabrics have a soft feel and fuzzy surface, very little shine or sheen, will not hold a crease, and are heavier and bulkier than worsteds. Blankets, scarves, coating, and some fabrics are considered woolens. Worsted wool is smoother than woolen, takes shine more easily, does not sag, holds a crease well, is lighter and less bulky, and wears longer than woolen. Worsted wool’s require a greater number of processes, during which fibers are arranged parallel to each other. The smoother, harder-surface worsted yarns produce smoother fabrics with a minimum of fuzziness and nap. Fine worsted wool is even seen in clothing for athletics such as tennis. No, they are not hotter than polyester but actually cooler, as the weave of the fabric allows wool to absorb perspiration and the fabric "breathes," unlike polyester."

Alan Morris
05-18-2006, 11:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> There is no nap on Simonis thanks to the weave.It's worsted, witha 30% (?)nylon content. Bill, however, at his age, needs a nap every now and then
<hr /></blockquote>
Hi and thanks for that - I didn't think there was one.

I have played many snooker exhibitions at billiard rooms in the United States on snooker tables with a napless cloth.

While I like playing on a fast snooker table with Strachan West Of England 6811 cloth, the cue-ball tends to come to a halt sooner than on a napless cloth where it just seems to keeps on rolling!

Best wishes.

Alan Morris.
The United States Snooker Association.

bsmutz
05-18-2006, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the compliment, Alan. I've only played snooker on a napped cloth a couple of times. Most tables seem to have the napless cloth on them (or the nap wore off long before I got there, lol). I decided to go with the napless cloth for that reason. For some reason, I like the fact that the balls roll forever. It does get frustrating at times, though.