PDA

View Full Version : HONEYCOMB???? WHAT IS IT!!!!

mzbhavnhrl
05-10-2006, 10:08 AM
Would someone please describe to me what Honeycomb is??? I have been looking into purchasing a pool table and came across some kind of playing surface called Honeycomb. Would someone please elaborate on this for me.

would anyone know if Brunswick ever used Honeycomb for their playing surface. - I ran into a table that is older - I am told it is a 1964 Brunswick Celebrity and it has a Honeycomb playing surface. I have seen the table and it is is great condition and it is extremely heavy. The table does have the Brunswick logo on it and on the bottom of the playing surface it has a Brunswick sticker and serial number on it. Could this table really be Honeycomb, did Brunswick ever use Honeycomb on their tables? Please advise?
/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Eric.
05-10-2006, 10:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mzbhavnhrl:</font><hr> Would someone please describe to me what Honeycomb is??? <hr /></blockquote>

A breakfast cereal?

Eric

bsmutz
05-10-2006, 10:29 AM
Well, this seems a little off topic, but it is a cereal that looks like a little wagon wheel, sweetened with honey. It is also where bees store their honey in their hive. Those are basically the only two I know of. I know that they design parts that need structural integrity but light weight (i.e., airplane wings) with a honeycomb-like structure (the bee, not the cereal).

pooltchr
05-10-2006, 11:11 AM
I recall seeing a table with a honeycomb bed in the old Sears catalog when I was just a youngster. Haven't seen one in years. Basically, it was a honeycomb design for the support of the playing surface of the table. I think they must have thought that it would help keep a non-slate table top more level. I didn't know they still even made them.
Steve

heater451
05-10-2006, 11:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mzbhavnhrl:</font><hr> Would someone please describe to me what Honeycomb is??? I have been looking into purchasing a pool table and came across some kind of playing surface called Honeycomb. Would someone please elaborate on this for me. <hr /></blockquote>It's a sub-cloth surface, on cheap pool tables. I think Sears used to sell a table with it, before "Slatron" and "Permaslate" appeared (which is a specially coated particle board, or Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF)).

Instead of having the standard, cloth-over-slate, build, the honeycomb tables had cloth over a plastic 'honeycomb' sheet. The honeycomb layer is flat on both sides, with the honeycomb structure between them. It's light-leight, resists warping to some degree, but as I wrote above--cheap.

So you would have something like this as a table bed:

------------------------- (cloth)
============== (top of honeycomb)
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (honeycomb cross-section; from the side)
============== (bottom of honeycomb)

And, should anyone need an idea of the visual structure: honeycomb (http://images.google.com/images?svnum=30&amp;hl=en&amp;lr=lang_en&amp;safe=off&amp;as_qdr=a ll&amp;q=honeycomb) (Google Images search)

If you are seriously looking to buy, you should be able to find a decent slate table that's not to badly priced. And, you will be able to get some money back out of it, if you sell it. A honeycomb table will be less cost, but more of a disposable piece.

==================================

heater451
05-10-2006, 11:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> I recall seeing a table with a honeycomb bed in the old Sears catalog when I was just a youngster. Haven't seen one in years. Basically, it was a honeycomb design for the support of the playing surface of the table. I think they must have thought that it would help keep a non-slate table top more level. I didn't know they still even made them.
Steve <hr /></blockquote>lol---we posted near the same time. . . .

I thought that the original set up was cloth, over a sub-surface, over the honeycomb, but after researching some for this post (looking for an actual picture of one), I changed my post to the cloth directly over the (sealed/capped/whatever you call it) honeycomb.

The How Stuff Works (http://www.howstuffworks.com) site mentions it, as well as some others. Just plug **honeycomb "pool table"** into Google&lt;----drop the asterisks, but keep the quotation marks.

========================

mzbhavnhrl
05-10-2006, 11:33 AM
would you know if Brunswick ever used Honeycomb for their playing surface. - I ran into a table that is older - I am told it is a 1964 Brunswick Celebrity and it has a Honeycomb playing surface. I have seen the table and it is is great condition and it is extremely heavy. The table does have the Brunswick logo on it and on the bottom of the playing surface it has a Brunswick sticker and serial number on it. Could this table really be Honeycomb, did Brunswick ever use Honeycomb on their tables? Please advise? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

wolfdancer
05-10-2006, 12:44 PM
I think it's a song:
Well it's a darn good life
And it's kinda funny
How the Lord made the bee
And the bee made the honey
And the honeybee lookin' for a home
And they called it honeycomb
And they roamed the world and they gathered all
Of the honeycomb into one sweet ball
And the honeycomb from a million trips
Made my baby's lips

Oh, Honeycomb, won't you be my baby
Well, Honeycomb, be my own
Got a hank o' hair and a piece o' bone
And made a walkin' talkin' Honeycomb
Well, Honeycomb, won't you be my baby
Well, Honeycomb, be my own
What a darn good life
When you got a wife like Honeycomb

wolfdancer
05-10-2006, 12:47 PM
Surely, you can't be serious!!!

pooltchr
05-10-2006, 12:58 PM
Wow! Old enough to remember Ricky Nelson!!!! LOL
Steve

pooltchr
05-10-2006, 01:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Surely, you can't be serious!!! <hr /></blockquote>

If you are talking about the airplane wing comment, he is correct.
Steve
(also a former pilot)

wolfdancer
05-10-2006, 02:08 PM
Steve, Jimmie Rodgers actually made the song famous, but Ricky sang it also.
I not only remember Ricky, I even listened to the Nelson's on radio !!!
Also remember the nite he sang Fats Domino's "I'm walking", and due to the response, sang every week after that...and the rest is history.
My friend in L.A.....N. Hollywood, to be exact, lives a couple of doors down from one of Ricky's twin boys......and his gorgeous wife. The twins still play gigs, but small stuff.
Radio??????????????

SPetty
05-10-2006, 06:55 PM
Didn't you say elsewhere that you've already bought this table?

http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=newbie&amp;Number=225498

Isn't this the table that you bought?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;category=75198&amp;item=7238532 026

And didn't you leave this feedback?

EXCELLENT TABLE - Better than expected!!!! Great sellers !

If you bought it and you like it, that's what counts, right?

Unless you were buying it for resale purposes...

mzbhavnhrl
05-11-2006, 06:04 AM
did just by the table but need more info a a honeycomb playing surface. The surface on this table is extremely! ! heavy and can't surely be plastic honeycomb.

heater451
05-11-2006, 07:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mzbhavnhrl:</font><hr> did just by the table but need more info a a honeycomb playing surface. The surface on this table is extremely! ! heavy and can't surely be plastic honeycomb. <hr /></blockquote>How thick is it?

A slate table is usually cloth, and 3/4" of slate, laid right on the frame. I think some may have another layer of support under the slate but over the frame.

The honeycomb section will probably run at least 3" thick, in order to attain the rigidity required. And, my memories are shaky on it, but I think the honeycomb may come as one piece. If so, then one piece of something 3" thick, even partially hollow, would still weigh a fair bit.

Another consideration is that the honeycomb may be supporting a layer of some sort of composite, which would add even more weight.

BTW, if you add "brunswick" to the honeycomb/pool table Google search, there are several results that support Brunswick using honeycomb. I found a few for sale, and at least one "ask the experts", where someone mentioned the different surfaces that Brunswick tried in the past. (Sorry, I didn't copy the links, or else I would have posted them here.)

=========================