PDA

View Full Version : Senators Reach Deal to Revive Immigration Bill

SnakebyteXX
05-11-2006, 12:26 PM
Senate accord could lead to citizenship for millions of illegal immigrants.

WASHINGTON -- Senate leaders of both parties struck a deal today on legislation that would give millions of illegal immigrants a chance to become American citizens and establish a guest-worker program for foreign workers.

The deal still has a long way to go before becoming law. The Senate must pass it and even more difficult the Senate bill and a much harsher House-passed bill, which has triggered huge nationwide protests by immigrants. Those would have to be combined into a single compromise bill.

The Senate reached an apparent immigration deal last month, only to see it break down in a burst of inter-party mistrust. That deal would have severely limited the number of amendments that could be offered to the bill on the Senate floor to restrict immigration.

And it would have restricted the roster of senators eligible for appointment to the committee with eventual responsibility for negotiating a compromise with the House. Democrats were afraid that the committee would be dominated by conservatives, who would abandon the liberalizing features of the Senate bill in favor of the tough provisions of the House bill.

This time, if the deal holds, the full Senate is expected to debate the bill next week. Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-Tenn.) said he hoped the Senate would finish work on the bill by its one-week Memorial Day holiday, a wish echoed by the White House.

Today's agreement spelled out the terms under which workers now in this country without proper documentation could achieve legal status. It also includes a provision, advanced by President Bush, to admit foreign "guest" workers and put them on a track toward citizenship.

At the same time, the bill would beef up efforts at the borders to hold down illegal entry to the United States. But unlike the House-passed bill, it would not subject the estimated 11 million to 12 million foreigners in this country illegally to felony charges as well as deportation proceedings.

Frist said that when the deal went to the Senate floor, a "considerable" number of amendments would be in order.

He said the Senate delegation to negotiate a final deal with the House would consist of 14 Republicans and 12 Democrats. Seven Republicans and five Democrats would come from the Judiciary Committee.

Frist also would name the other seven Republicans, and Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid of Nevada would choose the other seven Democrats.

"Today's agreement is a major step forward in our fight for tough but fair immigration reform," said Sen. Edward M. Kennedy (D-Mass.).

"Business and labor, Democrats and Republicans, religious leaders and the American people strongly support our plan to strengthen borders, provide a path to earned citizenship for those undocumented workers who are here and put in place a realistic guest worker program for the future."

web page (http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-051106immig_lat,0,5736446.story?coll=la-home-headlines)

SpiderMan
05-11-2006, 02:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SnakebyteXX:</font><hr> "Today's agreement is a major step forward in our fight for tough but fair immigration reform," said Sen. Edward M. Kennedy (D-Mass.).

"Business and labor, Democrats and Republicans, religious leaders and the American people strongly support our plan to strengthen borders, provide a path to earned citizenship for those undocumented workers who are here and put in place a realistic guest worker program for the future."
<hr /></blockquote>

As usual, I disagree with Senator Kennedy. I do not believe he speaks for "the American people" when he makes the above statement. His constituents, maybe, but not "the American people".

SpiderMan

Sid_Vicious
05-11-2006, 02:58 PM
Kennedy or Bush, with his worker program brokwn record and amnesty, and not enforcing the laws on the books, especially the border lockdown RIGHT now...they are both selling snake oil for their own gain. Bush though is the commander in chief with an active oath to protect this country, which he is ignoring by his complacent, even condonement of the illegal immigration going on. Between the both of them, Kennedy is a lamb in regards to being a threat to the US American...sid

pooltchr
05-11-2006, 07:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SnakebyteXX:</font><hr> "Today's agreement is a major step forward in our fight for tough but fair immigration reform," said Sen. Edward M. Kennedy (D-Mass.).

"Business and labor, Democrats and Republicans, religious leaders and the American people strongly support <font color="red"> I bleieve I heard that 80 percent of the public does not support amnesty for illegals. Count me in that 80 percent, Mr Kennedy!!!! </font color> our plan to strengthen borders, <font color="blue"> </font color> and put in place a realistic guest worker program for the future."
<hr /></blockquote>

As usual, I disagree with Senator Kennedy. I do not believe he speaks for "the American people" when he makes the above statement. His constituents, maybe, but not "the American people".

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>
<font color="red"> They are going to sell us out. What are we (you, me, any of us) doing about it. I have already written my senator. Have you? </font color>

Gayle in MD
05-12-2006, 09:53 AM
I would LOVE to see Americans Against Amnesty stay home from work to protest! If you want to see this country shut down for a day, just let the middle class stay home for a day!

Gayle in Md.

Alfie
05-12-2006, 12:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> <font color="red"> They are going to sell us out. What are we (you, me, any of us) doing about it. I have already written my senator. Have you? </font color> <hr /></blockquote> Emailed my rep, both sens, and the pres.
Was brief and pithy.

http://www.firstgov.gov/