PDA

View Full Version : Golf Channel on your aiming and eyes

DickLeonard
05-17-2006, 11:45 AM
The Golf Channel has a show on about Golf and your Eyes now you have 15 minutes get Going.####

cushioncrawler
05-21-2006, 05:10 PM
Hi Dick -- anything worth seeing??? -- i meen, anything that might help my billiardz??? -- i am left-eye-dominant (a hopeless case).

Which reminds me -- the ozzy blind golf championship woz held at my golf club (Rosebud GC) annually -- they got out of bunkers better than i did.

I wonder -- blind pool would have to be easy, compared to blind golf -- i even saw a (100% blind) guy who played some blind snooker on TV once. There is lots of scope here for politically incorrect stuff about uzing feel here (another target for mybreak).

Cueless Joey
05-22-2006, 11:14 AM
Was DriverMaker/MyBreak the host? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

pigbrain
05-22-2006, 04:49 PM
how can a totally blind man play snooker??!!

cushioncrawler
05-22-2006, 10:48 PM
Its a bit like the blind golf -- a mate helps -- ie to get the bridge in good pozzy, and then the aim, and helps with other info. Lighting iz obviously optional. I allwayz wondered why the golf championship wasnt held at night, ie after the memberz had finished.

Scott Lee
05-22-2006, 10:54 PM
pigbrain...I have taught blind people to shoot pool. Like other sports, for blind people, you have to teach them the same basics as sighted people...ie: how to stand at the table; how to hold the cue properly; and how to swing naturally (at different speeds), to a finish position. Much of this is "feel", and after learning those things you can position their bridge hand, and have them stroke the CB, on your command. It would not likely be possible for a blind person to play pool or snooker, without a 'partner' giving them help.

Scott Lee

DickLeonard
05-23-2006, 06:59 AM
Cushioncrawler I only saw 5 minutes or so, then I came to the computer to post it and when I got back on the show was over. The jist of the show was the picture your brain interprets. I never went on Golfchannel.com to see if there was a link to it. Maybe I will do it now.

I am right eye dominate and I shoot as if I was aiming a gun, cue over my right eye but when I shoot left handed I aim with the cue down the middle of my nose. I don't know if that would help you but it does work for me.####;

bsmutz
05-23-2006, 09:13 AM
Man, I would pay good money to see someone shoot with the cue "over" their right eye... Of course, shooting down your nose would be interesting as well.

JPB
05-23-2006, 12:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> Cushioncrawler I only saw 5 minutes or so, then I came to the computer to post it and when I got back on the show was over. The jist of the show was the picture your brain interprets. I never went on Golfchannel.com to see if there was a link to it. Maybe I will do it now.

I am right eye dominate and I shoot as if I was aiming a gun, cue over my right eye but when I shoot left handed I aim with the cue down the middle of my nose. I don't know if that would help you but it does work for me.####; <hr /></blockquote>

Good thing to know. In addition to having a dominant eye, people have different centers of their vision, i.e. some people are more binocular than others and have vision more centered on their head. I learned this recently in the context of shooting, I don't know how it will affect my pool shooting yet. I am right eye dominant, which I knew, and my right eye is my master eye and my vision is lined up with my right eye more. Saw some others with right ey dominance and their vision centered more to their nose, but not on it. Cross eye dominance gets some people casting a pistol over to shoot it better, as you are doing with the cue shooting left handed. Interestingly, being more binocular can hurt some people shooting a shotgun. Since you jam the thing on your cheek it lines up under your right eye and it helps to have vision more to the right eye. it was kinda interesting.

cushioncrawler
05-23-2006, 06:24 PM
Thanks, i would like to know what they said -- i know that at golf my toe-to-toe line iz allmost 15dg right of the flag when i think it iz perfect (i am righthanded) -- but at billiardz i tend to aim say 1mm left of center on the qball, and the aim-line is say 3/4 ball on the left of the objectball (ie say 13mm left of center), this iz at long-range -- why iz my golf aim-error different to my billiardz aim-error???

I will have to go back and re-read the old threadz on eyes and aim -- it woz good stuff but too technical for me -- but all of this-here stuff iz mainly for interest, i am not looking for a cure, koz i dont believe in cures here -- what u see iz what u see -- but i will happyly try any medicine that might hide my symptoms.

When i have my chin on the cue -- when i look at the objeckt ball, i see 2 cuez -- when i look at the qball, i see 2 objectballs. Therefore, an aim-line duznt really exist -- the only way i can picture an aim-line iz to start by looking at the cue, picture a line up the middle of the cue, then extend that line up towards the qball while raising my eyes -- a whole line never exists. Then, if the line iz out, moov the cue (re-aim) a little, and look again, etc, untill it looks ok (but iznt, like i said).

When i hold my chin well above the cue -- i can now see one cue (nearnuff) -- but i carnt see the objectball in the same frame -- so i have to extend the aim-line anyhow. However, with my chin well above the cue, i see the true center of the qball (nearnuff), and the true aim-line (nearnuff), but now my action iz floppy and inconsistent -- carnt win.

Anyhow, i didnt mean to hijack this thread -- i am sure that the golf-aim stuff will be interesting -- but i know that i will disagree with it anyhow.

JPB
05-23-2006, 06:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cushioncrawler:</font><hr> Thanks, i would like to know what they said -- i know that at golf my toe-to-toe line iz allmost 15dg right of the flag when i think it iz perfect (i am righthanded) -- but at billiardz i tend to aim say 1mm left of center on the qball, and the aim-line is say 3/4 ball on the left of the objectball (ie say 13mm left of center), this iz at long-range -- why iz my golf aim-error different to my billiardz aim-error???

<hr /></blockquote>

Be careful in your comparison here. Golf body alignment does not equal aim. You align your body but aim the clubface. Some players have an alignment that allows the swing to work. You also might be screwed up and be aligning different parts of your body differently. Your toes might not be equal to your hips, shoulders etc....YMMV, go see a pro etc.... but in golf alignment is not necessarily equal to aim and is different than in pool.

cushioncrawler
05-23-2006, 07:24 PM
I reckon that if i lay on the grass and aimed to hit the golfball at the flag with a cue, with my billiards aim and action, then the golfpro would tell me that the cue was aiming a tad left of the flag. If i then stood up and made az if to hit the golfball with a golfclub, and placed the cue across my toes, the pro would tell me that the cue was now aiming a mile right of the flag. Perhaps if i make my aim 1 part golf-aim and 99 parts billiardz-aim -- Hmmmmmm. Which reminds me -- i have a video of Joe Davis hitting a golfball with i think a wedge, while standing on a billiardz table, straight over the camera, and i think he had my golf-aim problem allso, but he hit a great shot (he didnt uze a tee -- gulp -- i didnt see any divot).

DickLeonard
05-24-2006, 06:44 AM
JPB I forgot in my younger days my eyesight was 20/14 which I think was very helpful. Now at 68 my eyesight is 20/30 and only use readers. ####