PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Technique

07-08-2002, 12:54 PM
I was just wondering how board users breaking techniques vary. When breaking in 9 or 8 ball I have a half front on/ half side on stance, closed bridge, and I stroke the cue 4 times, then 3, then 2, and then hit with a pronounced follow through. I break from just either side of the spot with low-inside english, or from a wide position with low-outside english. On average I make 3 balls off the break.
I'd be interested to read about other forum users techniques.

Leigh Mundy

Cueless Joey
07-08-2002, 01:00 PM
You make 3 balls on the break on the AVERAGE?
Thanks for the tip, I'll try it tonite.

07-08-2002, 08:12 PM
3 balls on the break. I will try that also. That's fantastic.......randyg

Rod
07-08-2002, 09:04 PM
Leigh if you average 3, then you must make more than 3 to keep that average. If it works well for you fine, but it sounds dangerous to me! I break to hit the head ball square in the kisser, no matter where I break from and without any english.

Scott Lee
07-08-2002, 09:22 PM
Randy and Joey...LOL, and if ya believe THAT (he averages 3 balls on the break) I've got some ocean-front property in Nevada I'd like to show ya! Even the top pros don't average 3 balls on the break!

Scott

Cueless Joey
07-08-2002, 10:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Scott Lee:</font><hr> Randy and Joey...LOL, and if ya believe THAT (he averages 3 balls on the break) I've got some ocean-front property in Nevada I'd like to show ya! Even the top pros don't average 3 balls on the break!

Scott <hr></blockquote>.....
Well, thanks for spoiling that for us. I was gonna try that tomorrow. I forgot I had a class tonite.
About that ocean front property in Nevada, is it close to Lake Tahoe? I might be interested if you'll take my check.

Rich R.
07-09-2002, 04:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Scott Lee:</font><hr> Randy and Joey...LOL, and if ya believe THAT (he averages 3 balls on the break) I've got some ocean-front property in Nevada I'd like to show ya! Even the top pros don't average 3 balls on the break!

Scott <hr></blockquote>
Hold on to that property in Nevada, Scott. The price is going to triple after the big quake hits the west coast and California falls off. LMAO.
Rich R.

07-09-2002, 04:50 AM
Heres and idea......instead of criticizing him or making fun of him, try answering his post with the answers hes looking for.....which I believe was breaking techniques.

Personally when I break, I concentrate more on keeping control of the cue ball. I usually will make at least 1 ball. In 9 ball I break about 8 inches from the right side rail and close to the headstring with a closed bridge. I dont put much english on the ball, if any maybe a little low center. I have a fairly hard break and noticed when I was playing bar boxes my cue ball would jump alot. I moved the ball up further and it cut that out completely. When I stopped playing bar tables and went to 9 footers, I continued the same way. It just feels more natural to me.

nmshooter

griffith_d
07-09-2002, 05:51 AM
nmshooter is right,...the more people make fun of other people, the more it makes me wonder about them.

I break square on the OB with no english. Sometimes by accident I will hit low and the Cb comes all the way back. Sometimes for fun in 8 ball, I would break from the left edge, use low right english and hit the second ball. It will really do some funny things. I play 9 ball now.

I used to play this little guy (named Shorty of all things),..he always played one-handed. I have never ever seen someone that good playing one-handed. He could draw the CB like crazy, he could cut a frozen ball in from corner to corner. He was amazing,....but if he was ever playing two handed,...he had lost his confidence and would play worse!!

But, to the point,...he would break (soft-break 8 ball), hitting the back right ball with a very thin cut. It would always(95%) hit the back rail and come back to the right corner pocket behind the head string. I have never seen anyone else do that with consistency.

Griff

07-09-2002, 07:08 AM
Actually, hitting the second object-ball on the break is widely considered as the correct way to break when making the eight on the break is a win. By hitting the second ball, you're forcing the lower row of balls to go directly to the end rail and back north toward the eight-ball. There is a strong liklihood that the eight-ball will get kicked to the side-pocket or to the headside corner pocket. The only thing the breaker really needs to concentrate on is maintaining control of the cue-ball (keeping it on the table). A mishit will likely result in a poorly broken rack but you'll likely scratch as well.

The other advantage is that you'll keep the cue-ball down-table, in the middle of the mess. If there's one decent shot available, the position is often ideal for running-out. Frequently, the greatest problem with running out on a barbox has to do with your ability to get the cue-ball into the problem area as quickly as possible. More often then not, the problem area is below the third-diamond.

I do advise that you take a little speed off your break when hitting the sxecond ball so that you don't kill the people sitting next to the table.

Jude M. Rosenstock

9 Ball Girl
07-09-2002, 07:23 AM
For 8 ball, I usually break right from the spot hitting the CB dead center and hitting the first OB square in the face. I usually make 2-3 balls when I break for 8 ball. On a bar box I'll make about 2.

For 9 ball, I'll break from the same spot as I do for 8 ball. Sometimes, though, I'll place the CB by the 2nd diamond on the left and break from there. But I'll usually make more balls on a 9 ball break when I break from the center spot.

I think the amount of balls that you sink on a break depends on the way the balls are racked?

griffith_d
07-09-2002, 07:24 AM
I know what you mean Jude,..if a person is not careful on the 2nd ball break, the CB will fly off the table. As in my reply, it is something I do not do anymore, since I play 9 ball.

How about that one-handed player. Have you ever seen a break like that?

Griff

griffith_d
07-09-2002, 07:28 AM
The way they are racked is everything, for consistency. Most table cloths are worn (how often do you play on brand new cloth) and the balls always move just a touch, making for a different break. If they were always racked the same, the balls would always break the same,....as we know they do not.

Each break is just like a thumbprint,....always different.

Griff

9 Ball Girl
07-09-2002, 07:38 AM
The cloth on the tables that I've been playing on in pool halls are about 9 months old in one place and about 1 year in another place. I have more consistent breaks on those than on the bar boxes.

In bars, sometimes I can really spread them out and other times you would think we're playing a game of straight pool even though I broke with the same force as I did when I spread them out.

07-09-2002, 11:08 AM
I just re started shooting pool a couple months ago. I never had a good break. I've played in about 8 local 9 ball tournaments. I haven't seen anyone that averages 3 balls on the break. I have seen 3 balls made on the break a few times. And I have been watching some 9s, 10s &amp; 11s play. I think I probably use to make a ball on the break somewhere near 20% to 25% of the time. And now it seems like I'm making a ball on the break close to about 33% of the time A couple weeks ago I did make a ball on 10 consecutive breaks in my first two tournament matchs. I never came close to that before.

I don't have a strong break. I started out breaking from near the headstring using a closed bridge. I probably started out maybe 1" or 2" to my right of center. And I noticed during the past couple months I often find myself breaking from more to right now then when I restarted playing. I sometimes catch myself breaking from maybe a couple inches away from a full diamond to the right of center. And it does seem I make more more balls on the break now.

I usually end up with follow on the cue. Usually I start out trying to just hit near center ball. But my cue will usuallly follow through the rack and end up near the center of the table. One thing I have noticed is that I don't scratch too often. But I do have a weak break. I would guess I scratch about less then 20% of the time.

Cueless Joey
07-09-2002, 11:11 AM
Ed, I've struggled breaking all these years. I've finally concluded that in order to have a good break, you have to have a relax wrist and forearm and let your hands go. Muscling the ball ain't never done it for me.

JimS
07-09-2002, 12:13 PM
You AVERAGE 3 balls made per rack!? Have you ever heard the saying "don't pee in my ear and try to tell me it's raining"?

07-09-2002, 02:28 PM

Scott Lee
07-09-2002, 02:34 PM
Rich...Precisely! Hence the "ocean-front" description! LOL
Hope to see you again the end of next month, when I come back to Gayle's house!

Scott

Scott Lee
07-09-2002, 03:21 PM
whitewolf...It is more an issue that has been discussed and posted over and over again. If more people would use the archives to search for topics they have questions about, they would get more "straight" information than they would know what to do with. Many of us get tired of posting the same things 20 or 30 times...not that I ever tire of giving requested information! I am, afterall, a teacher...
The fun being poked at Leigh was directed more at his boistrous "claim" of a 3-ball AVERAGE on the break! LOL Nobody was critical of his technique...we just questioned what is obviously an inflated figure for results. Either that, or Leigh has only broken a few dozen times in his life! Stats just don't bear out a 3-ball average for ANYONE! You might see that perhaps during a specific tournament, or on any given day, but NEVER for an overall average! Making even ONE ball on the break consisently (70+% of the time) is a goal of every pro. However, even the ones who achieve that, go through periods where balls will just NOT drop for them. You see it on tv all the time.
At the same time, other posters correctly stated that control of the cueball is ultimately more important than anything else. Nobody makes a ball on the break every time, so that should NOT be the judgement call on whether or not it was a good break. That should be determined by how well the CB was hit; how well the rack was contacted; how well the speed of the shot was transitioned between the stroke on the CB and contact with the rack; and how well the CB was controlled after contact with the rack.

Scott Lee