PDA

View Full Version : High rack, low rack better?

phil in sofla
07-08-2002, 01:53 PM
Sometimes the foot spot area gets so dented that you can't get a rack to sit tight with the headball of the rack directly on the spot, so you have to rack slightly higher or lower than the dead middle of the foot spot.

Do you think either the high or low rack placement yields a more likely pocketed ball on the break (thinking 9 ball here)?

I haven't noticed either way, except once I noticed that moving to a higher spot for the head ball stopped my opponent from making the 1 in the side. I didn't notice if it caused the break to come up dry otherwise.

Does having the rack as high as the Sardo placement (9 ball on the spot) yield less balls on the break overall, or just a less likelihood of pocketing the 1 in the side?

Chris Cass
07-09-2002, 01:15 AM
Hi Phil,

If you don't go high enough you'll end up wiring the wing ball. Behind, is a good option but most players will go higher. Especially the crooks, they'll slightly tilt the rack. Then, you won't make a ball. They'll tilt it in the opposite direction of your break.

Sardo? Not sure, I wouldn't ever go that high.

Regards,

C.C.

07-09-2002, 01:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi Phil,

If you don't go high enough you'll end up wiring the wing ball. Behind, is a good option but most players will go higher. Especially the crooks, they'll slightly tilt the rack. Then, you won't make a ball. They'll tilt it in the opposite direction of your break.

Regards,

C.C. <hr></blockquote>

good advice.

about that tilting the rack stuff. it was semi-politely pointed out to me one night last week that i tend to do that. we were playing 1-p and it was explained to me that the tilt has a big effect.

ok, we argued about it, but i finally decided that i was wrong. seems i have one arm slightly longer than the other and i do tend to tilt the right side up a little.

does marking the table make any sense? i worked with a bca master who had the rack outlined on his cloth and i know the sardo makes you do it.

any thoughts? anyone?

dan

Chris Cass
07-09-2002, 02:16 AM
Hey Dan,

Tilting the rack in 1 hole can lead to the breaker scratching in your pocket. They'll say after awhile, "Damm table, I keep double kissing the rack and scratching." Their, first reply is, "darn it, keep catching the headball too full." LOL

Regards,

C.C.

JohnnyP
07-09-2002, 05:55 AM
Who changed the rules to put the 9 on the spot? Does it somehow make for "better" pool on TV?

cheesemouse
07-09-2002, 06:16 AM
JohnnyP,
That decision must have come right out the Sardo brothers think tank /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

ObeOne
07-09-2002, 09:52 AM
I have the rack area outlined on my table as well. I did it so that I would know if anything was interfereing with the rack in straight pool. I use pencil, and it wears off after a while.

Chris Cass
07-09-2002, 10:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: ObeOne:</font><hr> I have the rack area outlined on my table as well. I did it so that I would know if anything was interfereing with the rack in straight pool. I use pencil, and it wears off after a while. <hr></blockquote>

Hi ObeOne,

IMO I think all ph's should use a fine magic marker to outline the rack and the headstring. There's nothing wrong with that. It helps both players when it comes to a simple fair game. Atleast, thet's two variables not to argue about. Forgot the headspot, make a small dot for that too.

Regards,

C.C.

JimS
07-09-2002, 10:11 AM
Hi Dan,

I have a Diamond rack and they have a notch filed in the center of the back rail of the rack so that notch can be lined up with the center of the table. I drew a line back from the center of the spot through the center of the table and I line up that notch with that line and PRESTO....a straight rack! Works great.

07-09-2002, 10:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: JohnnyP:</font><hr> Who changed the rules to put the 9 on the spot? Does it somehow make for "better" pool on TV? <hr></blockquote>
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;

In the few matches I watched on tv, I never once heard it mentioned that 9 ball is being racked on the spot instead of the 1 ball. Are they trying to keep that hushed? And even when they show the balls being loaded into the Sardo, you can't tell by the poor view they always show when the rack is removed. They must be intentionally doing that for some reason.

Troy
07-09-2002, 10:26 AM
I prefer a center line marked from the spot to the end rail. Straight pool players probably would prefer an outline of the triangle.

Troy

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: houstondan:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Chris Cass:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; Hi Phil,

Regards,

C.C. &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

good advice.

about that tilting the rack stuff. it was semi-politely pointed out to me one night last week that i tend to do that. we were playing 1-p and it was explained to me that the tilt has a big effect.

ok, we argued about it, but i finally decided that i was wrong. seems i have one arm slightly longer than the other and i do tend to tilt the right side up a little.

does marking the table make any sense? i worked with a bca master who had the rack outlined on his cloth and i know the sardo makes you do it.

any thoughts? anyone?

dan
<hr></blockquote>

07-09-2002, 10:27 AM
Do all of you table owners use those stick on markers for the head ball or head spot?
Is there a reason to use these?
Wouldn't it be better to just mark the cloth with a marker or something?
Perhaps the cloth makers could sell cloths pre marked. They could have an outline for the rack and a straight line showing the headstring.
Or is there some practical reason for putting on one of those patches to the mark the headspot that I don't know about?

Chris Cass
07-09-2002, 10:43 AM
Hi Eddie,

Well, you've got to have a spot to mark the middle of the foot spot to begin with. The reason for this in not only to identify where to rack the head ball. It wears the table in that area too. So, that's good to have. The head spot can just easily be done with a plain magic marker. It is just used for some games and doesn't get much wear.

The head string for those close calls. Can be marked with magic marker also. The main reason the cloth manufacturers don't pre-mark the tables is due to the installation. You have to stretch the cloth tightly and in both directions. That would make the installer go banannas. LOL

You only need to actually put a spot, on the foot spot. It just makes it easier for people to get along and eliminate all the BS if the cloth is marked. Besides, after a little wear. The lines fade and they'll be less dominate. IMO

Regards,

C.C.~~good luck in your tourney's.

07-09-2002, 11:56 AM
In my previous post I meant the foot spot. It just seems like those stick on spots cause the cue to bobble or jump a little.

phil in sofla
07-09-2002, 12:01 PM
Someone with a sharper eye than mine told me I was putting up the 9 ball rack slightly tilted. I couldn't see it, even when it was told to me, and my repositioning was simply by them telling me which way to re-tilt it to get it back to square. Since I still didn't see the difference (in fact, their supposedly squared up position looked off, to my eye), my future racks were about as tilted as the original one, and I think the guy gave up on trying to get me to rack correctly, as he saw it.

No doubt, having the rack outline, or even just a part of it outlined, on the cloth, would make for a straighter rack. But, wouldn't your local ph operator object to your taking out your pencil or marking pen and marking up the table?

JimS
07-09-2002, 12:05 PM
Chris, I've got this table ready for Scott! He'll have to give you a good rack now.....what with the Diamond rack and the center line all drawn out for a perfectly straight rack! NO MORE "crooked" racks at this ph!!!! LOLOL.

READY for another marathon!

07-09-2002, 12:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: phil in sofla:</font><hr> Someone with a sharper eye than mine told me I was putting up the 9 ball rack slightly tilted. I couldn't see it, even when it was told to me, and my repositioning was simply by them telling me which way to re-tilt it to get it back to square. Since I still didn't see the difference (in fact, their supposedly squared up position looked off, to my eye), my future racks were about as tilted as the original one, and I think the guy gave up on trying to get me to rack correctly, as he saw it.

No doubt, having the rack outline, or even just a part of it outlined, on the cloth, would make for a straighter rack. But, wouldn't your local ph operator object to your taking out your pencil or marking pen and marking up the table? <hr></blockquote>

we gee, if i'm payin rent on the table then i should be able to take out my big black marksalot and outline the rack. then, when i come back and the bangers have pounded in new holes i can just "x"-out the old marks and make new ones.

but seriously folks, i'm thinking, for my own personal table, that the straight line from spot to dot might be the way to go. but, i'll do it with a pencil.

dan

JimS
07-09-2002, 02:09 PM
That's how I marked mine, only not all the way to the end rail, just far enough to be able to be seen clearly at the back of the rack. Then when racking I can look down between the balls and see the line intersecting them as it should and by putting a mark in the center of the rack rail and lineing this up with the line on the table, the rack is square.

Chris Cass
07-10-2002, 01:24 AM
Hi Jim,

I don't think Scott was tilting the rack. Although, I didn't check. He does however have this devilish smile he shared and every time, the one ball wouldn't go. I think it's black magic. No doubt, he picked it up in Louisiana. They just don't have hot sauce down there. LOL Or up there, whatever. hahahahah

Regards,

C.C.

JimS
07-10-2002, 07:00 AM
Ah'm tellin ya...it's that Mojo thing! He's got it goin on when he racks for you.

He's not coming here the first week in August afterall. It seems something came up that took precedence...lolol!

07-10-2002, 09:03 AM

Vapros
07-10-2002, 09:12 AM
I think that every table should have a line from the foot spot to the center of the foot rail. It helps to get a straight rack, as there's always a center reference at the back of the pattern in any game, and it also is needed for any game in which a ball may have to be spotted.

Marking the outline of the triangle is another matter. On many tables, as noted, you may have to ignore that mark to get a tight rack - but it should never be anything but straight. Having a line takes care of any disagreement over what is 'straight'.

07-10-2002, 10:36 AM
I cant tell you if it affects the break, but I can tell you how to get them tight. What you want to do is rack a hair higher so that the on ball falls into the first two balls. The bar I play at let the spot area sink until the slate showed before the recovered. So, I became an expert at dealing with that annoying little problem. Of course dramatically moving the rack higher or lower will yield a tight rack, but you have to remember. Some player are down right anal, anal with altitude and they will refuse to break if that baby isn't where she should be. My method seems to please even the most type of this pool playing species.

Chris Cass
07-10-2002, 06:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: JimS:</font><hr> He's not coming here the first week in August afterall. It seems something came up that took precedence...lolol! <hr></blockquote>

Ahh, just tell him to bring her along. Geez, what's more important than a new Diamond Pro?

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
07-10-2002, 06:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: whitewolf:</font><hr> What happens if you see the opponent start tilting the rack and you switch sides? Would you make more balls LOL? Wouldn't it be funny if after every break you went down to inspect the rack and just break from the most opportune side if there is one?! <hr></blockquote>

No, they call that tournament pool. LOL

C.C.