PDA

View Full Version : boiling frog

SnakebyteXX
05-20-2006, 07:06 PM
boiling frog - n. - explanation of the political concept of incrementalism, using an example of placing a frog in a pot of hot water the frog will jump out of the pot but if you place the frog in a pot of cool water and slowly increase the heat the frog will slowly cook to death. Using incrementalism, human populations are gradually conditioned to accept steady but slow encroachment on personal liberties until there is no liberty.

web page (http://vikingphoenix.com/Internet/reference/defglos.htm#frog)

heater451
05-22-2006, 04:08 PM
The "boiling frog" allegory (am I using that word correctly?) applies to numerous situations--and I have used it a lot, in the past.

Incrementalism goes hand-in-hand with Desensitization.

Apathy, a feeling of "learned helplessness", and/or simple ignorance may also apply.

======================

SnakebyteXX
05-23-2006, 07:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote heater451:</font><hr> The "boiling frog" allegory (am I using that word correctly?) applies to numerous situations--and I have used it a lot, in the past.

Incrementalism goes hand-in-hand with Desensitization.

Apathy, a feeling of "learned helplessness", and/or simple ignorance may also apply.

====================== <hr /></blockquote>

Given the slow but steady erosion of our civil liberties in the aftermath of 9/11 - with the acceptance and approval of many in the general population - citizens driven by fear to willingly forgo those liberties in exchange for a feeble promise of protection - and given that this erosion has been inplemented, augmented and perpetrated by our current administration - the thought occurs to me that as ironic as it may seem, our 'terrorist enemies' may not be the only ones who " hate our freedoms" (http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2001/09/20010920-8.html).

Snake

catscradle
05-23-2006, 08:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SnakebyteXX:</font><hr> boiling frog - n. - explanation of the political concept of incrementalism, using an example of placing a frog in a pot of hot water the frog will jump out of the pot but if you place the frog in a pot of cool water and slowly increase the heat the frog will slowly cook to death. Using incrementalism, human populations are gradually conditioned to accept steady but slow encroachment on personal liberties until there is no liberty.

web page (http://vikingphoenix.com/Internet/reference/defglos.htm#frog) <hr /></blockquote>

When I was a psych major we used operant conditioning to train rats in a Skinner box by using the method of rewarding "successive approximations". In other words, initially by rewarding a behaviour that very vaguely resembles the behaviour you which to develop in the organism that behaviour is reinforced. After that vague approximation is well established you stop rewarding it and start rewarding a behaviour that more closely resembles the behavior you're after. So on and so forth until you've exactly the behaviour you want under influence of the stimulus you want it under. Once well conditioned, the reinforcement can be eliminated and even punishment substituted if done right.
We're a more complex organism than rats, but not that much. I think "successive approximations" is more closely akin to what government, and even more so big business, tries to do to us. Though I honestly don't think they're aware of the psychological mechanism behind what they're doing. After all we are all each other's environment.

heater451
05-23-2006, 04:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SnakebyteXX:</font><hr> . . .approval of many in the general population - citizens driven by fear to willingly forgo those liberties in exchange for a feeble promise of protection. . . .<hr /></blockquote>There is always something to fear, if one looks for it. Can anyone say "Bolsheviks"? I knew you could. . . .

The Big Book of cliche's says, "Give 'em an inch, and they'll take a mile".

=============================

Gayle in MD
05-25-2006, 05:41 AM
You are so right, IMO...and thankfully, most Americans are beginning to see through this administration, their tactics, and their destruction of our system of checks and balances. It is astounding to hear Gonzales, and Bush, bloviate about leaks, and the press, when the Bush administration outed a covert CIA, WMD expert, secret operative, and has broken the law with his spying on the American people, and wants to have more harsh punishment for patriotic whistleblowers. All they really want is more opportunity for abuse of power, without oversight! When you see an administration out to intimidate the free press, and display a continuous over-reach for power, if your flag doesn't go up, you've been a victim of incrementalism.

Gayle in Md.