PDA

View Full Version : Hearing from an old friend

Deeman3
05-23-2006, 03:35 PM
Just a crazy post but I heard from an old friend today. We had lost contact with each other over the last few years. He and I were slugs together at Nissan while doing our indentured servitude in Japan, him from England and me from the States. Later he worked for me in Germany with GM and followed me back to the U.S. when I bailed on GM. He was best man at my wedding and we remembered working 130 hour weeks in the bowels of Japan for months on end and launching vehicle after vehicle in many different countries. He took a job in Detroit after he left GM and is now C.E.O of a company there. His kids are almost grown and we caught up on many things that have happened to us. He met another business guy on a flight and got my cell number.

I had forgotten how much he and his family means to me and we have planned to meet up soon for a meal and visit. He and his family have their green cards and will be staying here for good.

I don't want to sound like a crying woman, I won't take Sid's role JK,JK,JK.....but it was sure nice to talk to him.

Deeman
Do I need a group hug? None of that Brokeback stuff now.....

wolfdancer
05-23-2006, 03:46 PM
Nice to meet old friends again, after so many years. And nice that you both escaped enslavement in Japan, and became successful here.
footnote: The movie was so successful, that they have already filmed the sequel "Brokeback to the Future"
web page (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfODSPIYwpQ)

Deeman3
05-24-2006, 05:39 AM
LOL, Yep, that's Brokeback.....

We were virtural slaves in the Nissan system but you gotta pay your dues somewhere and some time and that was about as good a company to do it with as any. At least they left us with a can't fail mentality. I was asked in Europe by GM several times what we did when we missed a delivery date at Nissan. My answer was always, "I don't know, we never missed one. If we did, I'd be working somewhere else the next day!" It's sometimes hard to get that spirit over here. Except maybe with the Donald....

Deeman

wolfdancer
05-24-2006, 06:20 AM
and George Steinbrenner

wolfdancer
05-25-2006, 09:55 AM
You never mentioned if you learned the most important lesson from your Japanese Employers:
"Be Happy in your Work"

Deeman3
05-25-2006, 10:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> You never mentioned if you learned the most important lesson from your Japanese Employers:
"Be Happy in your Work" <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Be happy in your work? Well, I have not often been "not happy in my work". I guess I have always been the type that is more confortable at work than at home. I don't know that that is the product of the Japanese but I did learn a few lessons. I have always looked around and siad, "if I'm not happy here, why am I staying?" and then immediately left to go somewhere I might enjoy. So far out of many, many different places, I have only had a couple that were not happy places to work and left them post haste. I feel those places did not treat their employees well. Not me, but the people who did the real work. If they would change, I would have stayed but often the culture of a place is so ingrained, even new leadership can't change them. I always said the difference in Nissan and GM was that at Nissan, I had young engineers making $20,000,000 decisons at 3:00a.m. in a shop in the backstreets of Yokahama and at GM I had to get 25 executives together to not make that same level decision.

I hear some say employees are dunb. The ones that work at McDonalds may be (check my last 5 orders) but those I work with at all levels are intellegent, thoughtful and innovative if just given the voice. That I did learn from Japan! The next most improtant lesson was "it does not matter who works for who, let's get it done." No blame, no fuss, just fix it at the easiest point.

Deeman
Kaizen to Hari Kari....
</font color>