PDA

View Full Version : Muscle memory and opposite hand playing?

Billy_Bob
05-24-2006, 08:19 AM
I'm right handed and injured my right hand (pulled tendon or something) and have been playing left handed a few games everyday.

I'm terrible at this, but starting to make a few balls.

Now this is WEIRD.....

I know how to draw, follow, shoot stop shots, etc., but I can't do this with my left hand!

I try to draw with my left hand and it is like my left hand will not listen to my brain or something?

Which gets me to thinking that a lot of my learned shooting ability is actually muscle memory???

Something else interesting... Many years ago I sawed half-way through a finger on my right hand and had my right hand in a cast for many months. So I learned to write with my left hand and do things with my left hand (I was not playing pool at the time). So the more I used my left hand, the better I got at using it.

But anyway shooting pool with my left hand is like I am a day one beginner. I totally miss hitting the object ball many times with longer shots, can't draw, no speed control, can't play position, no nothing. This is really interesting...

Something else interesting, I would have thought the locals areound here (who I usually win against) would be jumping for joy that I could not play up to my ability. Not true! They look disappointed when they see my hand in a brace and I tell them I can only play them left handed. Then when I'm playing them and missing many shots, they don't look happy, are not trying to shark me like they normally do, they are not having much fun. Hummmm... I guess there is no challenge there.

P.S. My hand is getting much better by letting it rest as much as possible and wearing a brace during the day which keeps my wrist from moving. I hurt it practicing breaking very very fast. I think it should be OK in a week or two.

Terry
05-24-2006, 09:57 AM
A few years ago I decided to practice a little with my off hand. The first thing I needed to do was get my bridge hand ( looped bridge ) used to the new configuration I was asking of it, my bridge hand was sore for a while. The second thing that bothered me was the forearm of my bridge hand which was not used to being stretched out over the table so it was sore for a while but maybe I was putting too much time at once on the off handed shooting. I practiced shooting just a ball at a time into the pocket and finally added the object ball for short stop shots then cut shots etc. I finally got my off handed playing somewhat comfortable and was able to draw, follow etc. I did run the table off handed but I stopped working on it except for the odd time i'll shoot a few that way. In a match I don't mind shooting the nine in off handed on a cut shot rather then use the rake. I think if a player puts in the time they would eventually be able to shoot as well left as right although I didn't continue to that point. Terry

wolfdancer
05-24-2006, 10:11 AM
Billy Bob, my understanding is that the right side of the of the brain controls movement of the body's left side....and vice versa. I believe that's why a stroke victim often becomes impaired on one side...and I may be wrong.
You may be the best player in your area...right-handed....but you are a beginner, left handed and have to learn to play the game from that side....look how rare switch-hitters are in baseball
I'm naturally left-handed....but as a kid, they stuck a bat in my right hand....and now the only two things I do right-handed is Golf, and Bat a baseball ( but them baseball days be long gone). I've even tried Golf left handed...and it weren't purty.
I think I would have stopped sawing, once I got maybe a quarter of the way through my finger......

RonMont
05-24-2006, 06:52 PM
You need to work on the same things you did for your right handed playing. Work on stance and stroke left handed.
This might be boring but being able to shoot left handed will give you a advantage in your normal play.
Best, Ron.

pigbrain
05-24-2006, 07:04 PM
sorry to hear that your right hand is hurt. hope it become good soon.
there are some famous players that can use both two hands. for example, Ronnie O'Sullivan. he can beat many top players with his left hand.
and a person in the IPT, i cant remember his name, is a right handed man but shot with his left hand.
i think if one keep practising, he can use either hand to shot.i tried my left hand some times. i think the biggest problem is that i cant wave and shot in an precision line.

Billy_Bob
05-24-2006, 11:42 PM
I shot a couple of games tonight left handed and something interesting happened. I have improved 300% from yesterday. I actually am starting to make longer shots - not only hitting the object ball, but pocketing it!

So now I have a new goal to win a game playing left handed. Let's see how long it takes. (I'm playing the worst bar bangers, but I'll be happy with a win against one of them for starters...)

Billy_Bob
05-24-2006, 11:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Billy Bob, my understanding is that the right side of the of the brain controls movement of the body's left side....and vice versa...<hr /></blockquote>

Also I am right eye dominant. So it makes aiming while shooting left handed interesting.

DickLeonard
05-25-2006, 05:20 AM
BillBob there was an article on The Golf Channel about Jack Nicklaus and his retirement, his course design and his lack of playing. Jack made a funny about that saying Everyone wanted to play like me now is their chance.####

Billy_Bob
05-25-2006, 11:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy_Bob:</font><hr> ...So now I have a new goal to win a game playing left handed...<hr /></blockquote>

Well I did it! I won a game of 8-ball playing left handed.

It helped that my "not so good" opponent was really off on his playing tonight and that he gave me ball-in-hand three times... (I'll take the win anyway!)