PDA

View Full Version : Pool Commentary

Rod
07-08-2002, 08:53 PM
I watched the last few games tonight on ESPN between KC and
JL. I have to believe that lady, ( I didn't see the announcers) Vicky P ? is very limited in her knowledge of the game. You would have to be nuts to try and execute some of her diagrams or explanations. I have watched other matches with her doing the commentary and drew the same conclusion. A perfect example of this is when Karen pushed after the break and shot the 5 to try and block a shot on the one. On the telestrator she diagramed a 3 rail position shot for the next ball! Evidently she can make the c/b do magic tricks! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

07-08-2002, 09:04 PM
What is she ranked, #28? there's a reason.......

ObeOne
07-08-2002, 09:06 PM
I can't stand her! She talks so soft that you have to have the volume cranked just to hear her. And she always says stuff like "we pool players call that 'being hooked'" "we pool players... yadda yadda." And if she says 'opted' one more time...

She drives me insane! Ahhhh!

07-08-2002, 09:09 PM
What does that mean? Are 'we poor shlubs watching T.V.' not pool players?

ObeOne
07-08-2002, 11:06 PM
For example, after the guy (can't remember his name) says something like "Alison played a good safety there", she says to him "That's what we pool players call being hooked." Like she's some amazing pro and he's just a moron who knows nothing about pool. She just irritates me.

Pogue
07-08-2002, 11:16 PM
Hmm,

I think I remember the shot you are talking about, for I watched the match also. I think Vicki was describing a safety shot, not a pocketing shot. She was saying Jeanette would shoot a stop shot on the ball, and send it three rails to hook her opponent. Did you actually hear her say Jeanette should shoot the shoot with the diagrammed three rail position? Or did you just see what she drew on the telustrator? (sp?) It could have been easy to mistake Vicki's intention, as Jeanette went ahead and shot and made a shot I didn't even think was there.. Anywhoo..

Pogue

Rod
07-08-2002, 11:59 PM
Pogue,
I heard her say position along with the lines. I've been wrong before. She never said JL should shoot the shot, just an option. The safety was easy. As the camera closed in on the shot it was apparent to me how to shoot the shot. JL made a good choice as the 5 ball was not in the way for playing position or any other ball for that matter.

Another one was when Karen hooked JL. She said shoot a one, long rail, kick. Anyone with knowledge would kick 2 rails, it makes the o/b larger not to mention the possibility of a safety or making the ball she was hooked by. Thats what JL did but she did miss the ball.

07-09-2002, 12:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Lorri:</font><hr> What is she ranked, #28? there's a reason....... <hr></blockquote>

not one of the higher level players, therefore lacks this needed experience

seems decision making comes from within their organization,I mean if you're not in then you're not in /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Rich R.
07-09-2002, 04:10 AM
I don't believe that the announcer was Vicki Paski.
I'm fairly sure it was Jan McWorter, president of the WPBA.
Now you know why the WPBA is in a state of decline.
Rich R.

cheesemouse
07-09-2002, 05:28 AM
Rich R.,
I think your correct, it was Jan and I think it was her second time out announcing a match so I was cutting her some slack.

SPetty
07-09-2002, 10:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: ObeOne:</font><hr> I can't stand her! She talks so soft that you have to have the volume cranked just to hear her. And she always says stuff like "we pool players call that 'being hooked'" "we pool players... yadda yadda." And if she says 'opted' one more time...

She drives me insane! Ahhhh! <hr></blockquote>As Rich points out, this was Jan McWorter, President of WPBA that was doing the announcing. Sorry you crank up the volume - this is the second time I've "seen" her do the announcing, and she's awful! - I crank down the volume for her!

jjinfla
07-09-2002, 01:55 PM
I find it interesting that you all voiced complaints about things that never happened. Better record the next match. Jake

Michelle
07-09-2002, 02:10 PM
The commentating in billiards has always bothered me, but it seems to be the same in many other sports that aren't baseball, football, etc.
I think a lot of non-mainstream sports are trying so hard to bring in new fans that they "baby-talk." They try to explain things in very simplistic terms so that if someone who is not very familiar with the game happens to be channel-surfing and stop long enough to watch (and hear) they may leave the channel on. I don't necessarily think this is a bad thing, though it can be very frustrating to those of us who are sitting at home going, "Well, duh!" /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Rod
07-09-2002, 02:18 PM
Jake I'll admit I wasn't exactly glued to the chair watching this match. If it didn't happen, tell me what took place on this shot. In another post I mentioned a one rail kick which Jan called also.

PoolFan
07-09-2002, 02:47 PM
I understand the frustration with ESPN commentary. It's hit or miss with the color commentator.

I truly enjoy the commentary on the Accu-Stats videos. You have guys like Grady and Billy Incardone (sp?) matched up with other pros. When they describe up-and-coming shots they are usually dead on. One of the best values of Accu-Stats tapes is the commentary. They not only explain and diagram the shots, but they explain the reasoning of the shot. Sometimes they describe it like a chess game, describing the next player's shot.

EPSN should watch some Accu-Stats videos to see how pool should be announced.

PoolFan - A big fan of Accu-Stats

jjinfla
07-09-2002, 03:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rod:</font><hr> Jake I'll admit I wasn't exactly glued to the chair watching this match. If it didn't happen, tell me what took place on this shot. In another post I mentioned a one rail kick which Jan called also. <hr></blockquote>

1) It wasnn't Paski it was McWorther
2) Karen pushed the 5 to the rail the Lee came up to the table and Jan said that looks like a good safety. Hit the OB with a stop shot and send the OB 3 rails. The 5 ball would be between the CB and the OB. But of course Lee just cut the ball in.
3) On the long kick. Jan said she has a problem here. Not an easy shot. One way to play it is the long straight back kick that she diagramed. And said it was very hard. Before she could go on Lee missed the two rail kick.
Believe me, I am not a fan of Jan, nor do I like the quality of the ESPN coverage but I do think the viewing audiance that they are aiming at are the relative newcomers to the game. Jake

Rod
07-09-2002, 04:21 PM
Well sorry Jake I missed that call on the safe. At any rate she didn't see the obvious cut shot, however her view point may not be any better than ours until the camera zooms in. I don't know about that part. Yes I am aware of her call on the long rail kick. Just a difference of opinions on how to call the shot. BTW I mentioned that I did not see the commentators so that was always in question.

It is unfortunate they are targeting newcomers to the game. In other sports the commentators seem to target the knowledgeable fans. Thanks for your input, I'll pay more attention next time.