PDA

View Full Version : Our gallery of images from old Reds Tournaments

BillPorter
05-25-2006, 06:25 AM
I am relieved to announce that this morning I uploaded 215 images to a photo gallery on Smugmug. These images date back to the old Red's Tournaments in Houson, Texas (1993-1984). The photos were taken by Mike Haines (with one or two exceptions) and edited by yours truly. I was working with 288 negative, 17 slides, and some images on a CD Mike had sent me. We make no claim to photographic excellence with these images, we are just trying to document some of pool's history and jog some memories for you guys who were actually there at the time.

The next step in our process is for Mike and I to weed out a few of the images that fall a notch or two below our standards for acceptable images to display. Even if we complete that task within the next day or so, we can't open up the gallery until June 1 because we are near my allotted "bandwidth" for the month of May. (Smugmug records every "hit" on every image and counts it toward the 6.0 GB I am allowed for each month.)

Also on June 1 we will open a very nice gallery of about 75 images from the 2006 DCC. These images were sent to me by Ed Fields and I can tell you that he has some nice shots.

When we open up these two galleries, we will probably close down all other pool galleries, at least for a couple of weeks.

So please spread the word to anyone who enjoys browsing through old pool photos ,or newer ones as in the case of Ed Fields 2006 DCC photos, that there will be a few hundred to look at on June 1.

Tom_In_Cincy
05-25-2006, 08:45 AM
Thanks Bill and Mike for all the great pics. I really appreciate them.

I recently was able to show a few of the Clyde Childress tournament pics to Warren "Monk" Costanza and he very quickly said, "I never played in Kentucky" then he saw the rest of the pictures and said, "I was younger then" He really liked what he saw and I gave him the copies I had printed.

Thanks again.

BillPorter
05-25-2006, 09:03 AM
Tom, I guess Monk's memory ain't what it used to be. But whose is? I could get him (or you) better prints if you think it would be worthwhile.

Tom_In_Cincy
05-25-2006, 09:27 AM
Thaks for the offer Bill, I appreciate it and I am sure Monk will also.

"Monk" is a semi-regular in our Monthly One Pocket tournament. He usually finishes in the money and is always a pleasure to watch when he's at the table.

We usually get 24 to 30 players at $20 each plus we add $10 a player up to $300. Last month we had 37 players (an all time record) and Monk finished 5/6th.

I am sure he would like to see a better quality picture than the one I printed on regular printer paper.

If you would like to send some pics, you can mail them to

Hard Times Billiards
5536 Garfield Ave
Sacramento, CA 95841
Attn: Tom Suarez

wolfdancer
05-25-2006, 10:41 AM
Tom, glad to hear that Monk's still around, and playing well. Even 10 years ago, watching him play....you weren't sure from his gait if he was going to be able to make it to the other end of the table for his next shot.
I remember the first time I ever saw him play...was at your place..."Great America" though, back then. He won the tournament, easily beating Paul Brienza in the finals...no easy feat, since Paul was shooting good, had an awesome break, and had won the last two big events there.
How does he manage to play though, without a cig hanging from his mouth?

Tom_In_Cincy
05-25-2006, 11:41 AM
Now Hard Times (which was 'Great American' up until 1998) is a "Smoke Free" room.

Monk still rushes out to the smoking patio between matches and sometimes takes a break during his match.

If it bothers him, he doesn't show it at all.

We talked about the 300+ pictures that decorated the 'Great American' walls of all the local and regional players that he took when GA closed. He doesn't remember where most of them are, but he does know that some are in a box somewhere at his home or in storage.