PDA

View Full Version : Your Best Match

Terry
05-25-2006, 09:32 AM
Last night I played in our weekly 9-ball tournament on 9'tables with generous pockets. I was playing in the finals when my opponent tells me I just ran three tables without him getting a shot, I wasn't aware that I did this as I usually don't pay much attention to break and runs etc. I just know when i'm shooting good. Anyway in my first match I was aware ( for the first time ) of exactly how the whole match went and I think it must be my best match i've played that I recall. I lost the coin toss and my opponent scratched on the break leaving me ball in hand, my opponent got his next shot in game five when I made a couple of balls on the break but didn't get on the one so I tried a combo on the five to see if I could keep my run going. My opponent didn't have a very good shot and missed his saftey, I locked him up with a saftey and that was his last shot in a race to six. I know this thread doesn't have much value but we're all here because we love the game and that match felt good and I wanted to share with other lovers of the game. Anyone else with favorite matches for any variety of reasons? Terry

SteveFromNY
05-25-2006, 10:17 AM
Terry, I had a run like that. Actually for about half a year, EVERY single time I put my hand on the table, I could not miss. I found myself running strings of games, even on tight pocket tables - something I was NEVER able to do. It was a great feeling, but all it took was one night where I reaggravated an old back injury. That was in April. Ever since then, I've lost about 80% of my league matches. It's just such an amazing feeling to be aware that you're actually playing so well. I hope you continue to knock em ouT!

Billy_Bob
05-25-2006, 10:21 AM
Good job!

I like to hear about other players excellent playing - what you did to win, etc. So thanks for the post.

Success breeds success as they say!

DickLeonard
05-25-2006, 10:56 AM
Terry Oh yes I played Babe Craanfield in an 800 pt match. In the last block I needed 363 and Babe neeeded 197. I ran 3/ 70s and a 93 back to back and beat him 800 to 797. that was yesterday.####

9_Ball_Junky
05-28-2006, 02:54 PM
i never play in leagues or anything, as i cannot shoot on bar boxes.........need a better table for my full potential is the way one guy put it.

i was in a neighboring town at the pool hall i frequent...(1hr 15 min to shoot pool) when i am approached by a guy i didnt know and was asked if i wanted to shoot some 9-ball. i asked the lady who runs the hall about him and all she said was keep my money in my pocket......i wasnt shooting that great so i was rather leery, but i agreed......race to 7.

the first set he got 2 shots in 7 racks, both shots being when i had no shot and played safe. he finally won a game 3 racks into the second race to 7....... surprised everybody there, including myself. i ended up winning the second set 7-2. im probably glad i kept my money in pocket, but either way,going from running 3 or 4 at a time to shooting like that was fantastic.

after he left, i asked the lady about him again and she said that was the worst she had seen him get beat in as long as she could remember. he regularly goes to albuquerque for tournaments and such, and from what i hearr he does alright for himself.

i have seen him 3 or 4 times since then, and shot with him twice, and he still hasnt fared any better.

i'm curious about something i have noticed.....has anyone else noticed their game stepping up when you know you have some real competition or are you pretty consistent? i seem to shoot about average when im shooting with my friends, but when i have a match with a good player, my game goes through the roof and i cannot seem to miss.

J

Fran Crimi
05-28-2006, 04:17 PM
Good going, Terry!

One match that sticks in my mind was against Monica Webb in Vegas. I played sloppy in the beginning and before I could blink, I found myself down 8-0. She needed one game to win the set and after she broke and scratched, I decided right then and there that she was going to have to take this match from me because I wasn't giving it up anymore. I dug in and played one shot at a time, no more stupid mistakes, and then I started slowly coming back. We were still playing winner break at that time, so I was able to keep control of the table, 8-1, 8-2. 8-3...At 8-7 Monica played a safety on the 9, leaving me a tough long-rail bank. I made the shot and the crowd went nuts.

I broke at 8-8 and made a 1-9 combo short rail bank for the win. Ginky told me after the match that it was the best comeback by a woman he'd ever seen. Sure felt good.

Fran

Rich R.
05-28-2006, 04:20 PM
I would have to say that my "Best Match" was at a small weekly tournament.
This tournament is only a $10 entry and it is a double elimination, race to three, on both sides.
On rare occassions, a well known, in this area, road player stops in for some easy money. On one of these occassions, I drew him and I played what is probably the best 9 ball of my life. Although I wasn't making balls on the break, every other time I got to the table, I either got out or played an excellent safe.
I ended up winning 3-0. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You will notice I didn't mention the name of the other player, and I won't. I understand this was only a race to three and anthing can happen in such a short race. I'm certain the results would be different in a longer race. Although this was a pleasant memory for me, it wouldn't be fair to name the other player.

Terry
05-29-2006, 08:23 AM
Hi Fran, coming back from 8-0 would give a player lots of confidence in their ability thats for sure, everyone would appreciate that effort. I always say to my playing friends that " anyone can play good when their winning but it takes real grit to come from behind to win a match".

Rich, even though it was only a race to three you still had to be mentally strong enough to sink the 9's and not choke on them knowing you were playing a road player. Good Job, Terry

Rich R.
05-29-2006, 10:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Terry:</font><hr> Rich, even though it was only a race to three you still had to be mentally strong enough to sink the 9's and not choke on them knowing you were playing a road player. Good Job, Terry <hr /></blockquote>Thanks Terry. Your very kind.

Fran Crimi
05-29-2006, 01:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Terry:</font><hr> Hi Fran, coming back from 8-0 would give a player lots of confidence in their ability thats for sure, everyone would appreciate that effort. I always say to my playing friends that " anyone can play good when their winning but it takes real grit to come from behind to win a match".

<hr /></blockquote>

You're right, Terry. Even if I would have lost that match, I would have felt like I won. That was the last time I beat Monica. I played her about three more times after that and she beat me every time. Never let me in the door. She's tough as nails and one of my favorite players to play, because she's no-nonsense. Just pool.

Fran

DickLeonard
05-30-2006, 07:07 AM
Fran there is something in our makeup that makes reliving the past as sweet as it can be. I'll have to admit I know that feeling and it is sweeter as time passes.####

Fran Crimi
05-30-2006, 07:28 AM
You're right, Dick. Just as long as we don't stand still in the present. We have to keep on creating things to feel good about throughout our lives, all the way to the end, as far as I'm concerned. Our later accomplishments may be smaller in scale as time passes, but they feel just as good because it gets harder.

Fran

Eric.
05-30-2006, 10:57 AM
One recent match comes to mind. It wasn't my best, but it does stick in my (lousy) memory.

A few weeks ago, I played in a Blaze tour stop at Primetime Billiards. As luck would have it, I drew Mike Davis. Now, I'm a big underdog, but I came to play.
The format is alternate break, I won the flip, broke two balls and the 9 ball in, and scratched, leaving a wide open rack. Mike runs out. Next rack, Mike breaks, runs out. Third rack, I break, make 2 balls and the 9 ball and scratch AGAIN! Again, Mike runs out a wide open rack. To make a long story short, I went from 0-3 to eventually wind up losing 4-7 (sorry, no big comeback). What was satisfying was that from then on, I only missed 1 ball for the rest of the set, and got back to 4-5 before Mike outran me.

Eric

SPetty
06-03-2006, 02:54 PM
I didn't want to start a new thread, but recent events are sometimes as sweet as past events...

I'm in Vegas playing in the VNEA nationals for the first time. I tied for 33rd out of 184 in the singles. Got in the money! Not bad at all for a C player...

Our team, however, rocks. We went "two and out" in the main event, so we qualified for the loser's tourney - they call it the "Sportswomen's" and "Sportsmen's" tourneys. Our team came in a good second out of about 42 teams. The first place team (from Canada, of course!) was definitely better than we were - it wasn't even close - they played well. BUT, I'm remembering yesterday where I went through our first three matches not losing a single game. I did my part! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Sweet! Got money and a trophy!

Rich R.
06-03-2006, 06:03 PM
Congrats SPetty. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thank you for representing the CCB so well. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Brian in VA
06-04-2006, 05:51 AM
Way to go SPetty! That's really cool! I'll bet you had a great time, too.

Best Regards,
Brian in VA

Cornerman
06-04-2006, 08:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Terry:</font><hr>Anyone else with favorite matches for any variety of reasons? <hr /></blockquote>I've got a handful, all 8-ball.

I was playing in a race to 4 8-ball tourney against a guy who had the same cue as I did! So, I had to beat him, right? I broke, made nothing, and he ran out the first game. He broke, made nothing, and I ran out the set. Never done anything like it since.

At my first BCA Amateur National event, my first match, the guy hits me with a break and run. Nice start. He ended up getting on the hill either 4-0 or 4-1 (someone from CCBoard who was in attendance tell me... SPetty?). Somehow, I clawed back and caught him on the hill, and even had a slim chance to runout the final rack. But,alas, I got bad on a ball, fouled, and my opponent ran out. But, at least I didn't fold (and neither did he). And I won several matches in the B side to outlast my first opponent finish in the top 175.

And at this year's BCA Nationals, I almost had a perfect match. I scratched on one of my breaks. Other than that, I broke and ran my other breaks, and ran out every time I stepped to the table except for one time where I had to play a safety. Unfortunately, things only can (and did) go down hill from there.

Fred

Cornerman
06-04-2006, 08:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> To make a long story short, I went from 0-3 to eventually wind up losing 4-7 (sorry, no big comeback). What was satisfying was that from then on, I only missed 1 ball for the rest of the set, and got back to 4-5 before Mike outran me.

Eric <hr /></blockquote>I have a similar story against Santos. Race to 9, I'm shooting at the 9-ball down 2-1. I blow the 9-ball, and he break and runs the next 5. 8-1 Santos. He beats me 9-5. I had two 9-ball snaps and a B&amp;R when after he allowed me back to the table. Oh, what might have been. IF I hadn't blown the 9, I could have been up 6-2 or so on him.

Fred

Scott Lee
06-04-2006, 11:37 AM
WOOHOO! Way to go SPetty! Congratulations on your singles finish, and your team play in the consolation tournament!
You're going to have to make Leroy build you a trophy room, off the side the PPPH! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif LOL

Scott

Scott Lee
06-04-2006, 11:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Terry:</font><hr> Hi Fran, coming back from 8-0 would give a player lots of confidence in their ability thats for sure, everyone would appreciate that effort. I always say to my playing friends that " anyone can play good when their winning but it takes real grit to come from behind to win a match".

Terry <hr /></blockquote>

Terry...I can relate to that feeling too. A few years ago, I was playing in a 'king of the hill' tournament in Chicago, with all the best players. Two tough players (Larry Schwartz and Marco Marquez) had me down, where they were on the hill, and I had two (races to 10 and 12). I came back and won both matches, playing exactly the way Fran described...playing one shot at a time, and gritting my way to victory in both matches. Afterwards, I played Billy Incardona in the finals, and he SMOKED me 15-5! LOL
But, I had a great time in that tournament. That kind of play stays with you, and does build your confidance. I always tell my students to NEVER give up, and never give anyone any shot...make them shoot it!

Scott Lee

Qtec
06-04-2006, 09:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was playing in a race to 4 8-ball tourney against a guy who had the same cue as I did! <hr /></blockquote>
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I would have loved to have seen your face when he pulled that cue out! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gifLOL I bet that was all you could think about for the first few racks. We all know how you love your cues Fred. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cornerman
06-05-2006, 03:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cornerman:</font><hr>
I was playing in a race to 4 8-ball tourney against a guy who had the same cue as I did! <hr /></blockquote>
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I would have loved to have seen your face when he pulled that cue out! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gifLOL I bet that was all you could think about for the first few racks. We all know how you love your cues Fred. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>LOL!!!! This was when I was still playing with a Meucci. But, it probably was one of the reasons why I had to get away from production cues. Too many of the same model around.

Fred &lt;~~~ can't have two people looking pretty on the same table now

Terry
06-05-2006, 04:13 AM
Hi Steve, it's not likely my run will last as long as yours. I hope you get back to your winning form soon. Terry

Terry
06-05-2006, 04:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> I went from 0-3 to eventually wind up losing 4-7 (sorry, no big comeback). What was satisfying was that from then on, I only missed 1 ball for the rest of the set, and got back to 4-5 before Mike outran me.

Eric <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Eric, that was a great finish and one i'd be happy with as well, it lets you know you were right there. Terry

Terry
06-05-2006, 04:22 AM
Hi SPETTY, it sounds like you had a lot of fun in Vegas and played some strong pool, congratulations. And I thought Canadians were nice /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Terry

Terry
06-05-2006, 04:27 AM
Hi Fred, this is what the thread was meant to do, get some pool playing stories from some of the posters first hand. You did some good shooting there with some very clear explanation of how it happened. Terry

Terry
06-05-2006, 04:49 AM
Hi Scott, yeah, coming from behind to make the match close or to win from behind is a great feeling. I agree with you on making your opponent shooting all balls for the win but sometimes it's hard when they're giving you 9's, you feel that you should do the same for them. I was playing a very good player in the finals of our little local tournament last week. He beats me by fluking the nine at hill-hill the first match of the tournament to put me over to the B-side. When we met in the finals I could see he wasn't right on. He's conceding the game when I have an easy two and three balls left which makes feel like I should at least give him the easy nines. He has a somewhat easy nine, but it's a long shot and he's not shooting great so I let him shoot it and he misses. I beat him the first match and when i'm on the hill in the final match at 5-1 he breaks and scratched and just concedes the match as the balls were wide open. I know in some of the bigger tournaments if you concede a nine/game you also lose an additional game which is the way all tournaments should be,IMO. Terry

DickLeonard
06-05-2006, 06:28 AM
SPetty congrats on your play. One Question did you run into RIP?####

SPetty
06-05-2006, 03:13 PM
Thanks, all, for the congrats. It was fun. One of my teammates was going on about how "Canadians can bank!" and the next day was going on about how "Canadians can cut!" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I did see Rip on Memorial Day. We met up at John Barton's booth (onepocketchump) where I got my PettyPoint Pool Hall logo lasered into a cue ball, and into my shaft, and onto a leather tag, and into my new break butt. Too cool!

This is the shaft - the logo is only about 3/8" in diameter:
http://www.pettypoint.com/poolhall/shaft.jpg

They did great work!

wolfdancer
06-05-2006, 03:21 PM
Nice butt that you have !!!!
Neat idea also...and Congrats on the pool.

DickLeonard
06-06-2006, 05:11 AM
SPetty I guess Wolfdancer took the words out of my keyboard first. ####

sofy60
06-10-2006, 03:17 PM
man you need to turn pro if your running 3-4 racks on each turn. Only a handful of people on the planet can do this.

JDB
06-10-2006, 08:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sofy60:</font><hr> man you need to turn pro if your running 3-4 racks on each turn. Only a handful of people on the planet can do this. <hr /></blockquote>
Actually, there is a quite a bit of difference doing it once in a while versus being able to do it consistently.

One of my best matches was at a local tournament a couple of years ago on 7 foot tables, race to 4, 8 - ball.

I break and run the first rack, 1 - 0.
My opponent breaks and runs 2nd rack, 1 - 1.
I break and run the 3rd rack, 2 - 1.
My opponent breaks and runs 4th rack, 2 - 2 (I am thinking now I was lucky I had first break).
I break and run the 5th rack, 3 - 2.
My opponent breaks and runs 6th rack, 3 - 3, hill-hill.
I break the next rack and have a risky shot where if I make it I am pretty sure I will run out. I go for the shot instead of a safety and miss. My opponent runs out for the win.

Only one missed shot in the entire match. Although I lost, It was still a great match.

Terry
06-11-2006, 04:38 AM
Sofy60, I couldn't make a face like a pro. Like JDB said, running a few racks in a row once in awhile is a lot different than being able to do it consistantly which I certainly can't. Terry