PDA

View Full Version : question about aiming systems

thepoolnerd
05-25-2006, 06:41 PM
Try to remember your best shooting night, when it felt like you were never going to miss. Maybe it was your high run in straight pool, or you best gambling session or your best tournament win. Were you using an aiming system?

LastBall
05-25-2006, 10:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote thepoolnerd:</font><hr> Try to remember your best shooting night, when it felt like you were never going to miss. Maybe it was your high run in straight pool, or you best gambling session or your best tournament win. Were you using an aiming system? <hr /></blockquote>
Definitely not consciously but all of the aiming systems that I used leading up to that night played a big part in my aim and feel. It's been said a thousand times in a thousand different ways that aiming systems don't have to be protractor and chalk lines on the table ordeals. When learning they help the conscious mind grasp possibilities and probabilities and guide the natural instincts when executing a shot. Love 'em or hate 'em we're all using some sort of aiming system when we shoot whether we know it or not.

Rod
05-26-2006, 03:04 AM
No

DickLeonard
05-26-2006, 04:40 AM
Why no?####

tjlmbklr
05-26-2006, 07:09 AM
I remember when I started playing pool seriously and thought nothing was cooler then a bank shot, I wanted to learn to bank balls. I received "99 shots in pool book" as a gift that had one of the best bank shot aiming systems that I used so much even on league nights(using cue to aim) that it eventually burned itself in my brain. As for aiming normal shots, there are so many ways that work for differnt people and I had never done any. I still use the "ghost ball" But when your in the zone, your in the ZONE. Their is no explaination why you are, and trust me I have searching for years for the source of what cuases the "zone" or "dead stroke" as some call it. I think many will agree that when you shoot the shots with instinct, you are just there, for whatever reason whether you know how to put yourself there or you just are there. So as for the place that your inquireing about, "how do you aim".........Let me know when you find it...LOL

Tom_In_Cincy
05-26-2006, 08:59 AM
2nd your "NO"

dr_dave
05-26-2006, 09:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote thepoolnerd:</font><hr> Try to remember your best shooting night, when it felt like you were never going to miss. Maybe it was your high run in straight pool, or you best gambling session or your best tournament win. Were you using an aiming system? <hr /></blockquote>
Yes.

I would argue that everybody always uses some sort of "aiming system." It may be subconscious or it may come naturally, but there is always some process involved with aiming. Now, people who don't play that well or who want to improve want to know what that process is for great players so they can possibly learn from it, hence all of the lengthy threads under "aiming" here (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/threads.html).

Regards,
Dave

raodwarior
05-26-2006, 11:17 AM
I use one form or another of an aiming system on EVERY shot take.

Stretch
05-27-2006, 08:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> No <hr /></blockquote>

lol, still a little non-aimer thread punch drunk Ron? /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif St.

Stretch
05-27-2006, 08:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote raodwarior:</font><hr> I use one form or another of an aiming system on EVERY shot take. <hr /></blockquote>

Hey road. I think of pool as a "performance art". It's like playing an instrument. You can always tell a player that follows the sheet music. When you've learned the piece (practice). Throw away the book and set yourself free. Play.

"Ain't got no distractions, can't hear no buzzes and bells. Don't see no lights a flashing, plays by sence of smell. Always gets a replay, never seen him fall. That deff, dumb and blind kid sure plays a mean pin ball." St.

caedos
05-27-2006, 02:39 PM
"Were you using an aiming system?" 'You' in speaking to others is speaking to the conscious mind of the listener or reader. When playing in a peak zone of performance, analysis such as that required of system use is absent. The subconscious mind may or may not use the previously learned system. Any recognition of such is after the shot, or else peak performance behavior is abandoned with recognition prior to execution. In other words, if you are 'controlling' your results with system play you are not playing at your very best unless you learn to mentally let go as you shoot.

The short version is: I never use an aiming system when playing my best. The shot looks and feels correct and I execute.

Carl

Bob_Jewett
05-29-2006, 09:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote caedos:</font><hr> ... The short version is: I never use an aiming system when playing my best. The shot looks and feels correct and I execute.... <hr /></blockquote>
Me too.