PDA

View Full Version : jumping the rack

Drop1
05-25-2006, 07:18 PM
About five days ago, I started jumping the cue ball over the rack,on the break. I know my problem is in my break stroke,and stance,but I don't know what it is. My game other wise is improving on all levels,and I usually have no problem running five balls.

Billy_Bob
05-25-2006, 10:44 PM
Usually when I see people doing this, they are shooting down on the ball. It is like throwning the ball down at an angle on the table then it bounces back up off the table. The only difference is you are shooting down on the ball and it is a downward force. i.e. a jump shot.

Also I suppose a phenolic tip hitting below center or a cue with not enough chalk hitting the cue ball below center could "scoup" the cue ball up into the air.

Then I can hit it *really* hard with a center hit and the cue ball will become slightly airborne. Not enough to miss the rack though.

LastBall
05-25-2006, 10:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> About five days ago, I started jumping the cue ball over the rack,on the break. I know my problem is in my break stroke,and stance,but I don't know what it is. My game other wise is improving on all levels,and I usually have no problem running five balls. <hr /></blockquote>
You're probably just doing something slightly different during your stroke. Assuming reasonably good fundamentals you are most likely cueing too low and striking the table before the ball or striking the ball with a very downward blow causing it to jump. If you are power breaking try slowing things down a bit, keeping your cue level, and making sure that you hit the center of the ball because that urge to hit the ball hard causes lots of little imperfections to creep into the stroke.

dr_dave
05-26-2006, 09:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> About five days ago, I started jumping the cue ball over the rack,on the break. I know my problem is in my break stroke,and stance,but I don't know what it is. My game other wise is improving on all levels,and I usually have no problem running five balls. <hr /></blockquote>
FYI, HSV A.123 (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/high_speed_videos/new/HSVA-123.htm) and HSV A.124 (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/high_speed_videos/new/HSVA-124.htm) show some possible effects at play.

Here are some possible causes:
- cue stick elevation (downward stroke)
- hitting the cue ball above center (power follow stroke)
- most unlikely for a good player, but possible: hitting the cue ball too far below center (scoop shot)

Regards,
Dave

raodwarior
05-26-2006, 11:13 AM
Most likely cause is that you are moving your body and shoulder forward before you move the cue. This causes the tip to dive very quickly and basically scoop under the ball.

If you want to power break which BTW I think is a waste of energy, you need to start the cue moving twards your finish first, and then bring the body into motion behind it.

BurloakB
06-15-2006, 01:40 AM
A lot of people put the insanely tight death grip on the butt of the cue and then try to put bottom english on the cue ball. This inflexible stiff grip causes the scooping effect, especially on players who drop their elbows in the hopes of generating more power. Keeping a loose relaxed grip and wrist will help the cue travel on a straight plane, preventing scooping. Then again, you could just be going way to low with the english like the other posters have already mentioned. You don't need power, you need control.

This article (http://poolplayingtips.com/9_ball_-_breaking_to_win.html) might help you. Good luck!