PDA

View Full Version : How straight do you expect a new cue to be???

66goat
05-25-2006, 08:04 PM
I recently purchased a new Schon, and am sending it back for the second time because of what I seem to think is too much wobble in the roll. I've had a Meucci for 10 years now, and the shaft is straighter than these two Schon cues. My question is, how straight do you expect a $600-$700 cue to be when you purchase it? Should it be perfect, or is a little wobble to be expected. Not only did the shaft wobble slightly, but the butt joint would come off the carpet as well when I rolled it without the shaft. I know that a brand new Predator cue I recently seen, was "Perfect". Schon has a good reputation from what I've heard, so maybe I just got unlucky twice??

Another issue with the second cue was a spot of the shaft where the poly ran onto the joint collar. Not what I expected out of such a highly touted name in cue manufacturing. I would love to hear from everyone on what their new cues looked like and if they met your standards on the first time out. Should I save some money and go with a Joss. They seem to be another great name in production cues, but I may run into the same problems there and I really wanted to shoot with this Schon.

Billy_Bob
05-25-2006, 10:34 PM
I rest the tip on something like say the top of the computer monitor you are reading this on, then I slowly rotate the butt of the cue while looking down the shaft. There should be no wobble anywhere.

With the more expensive cues/shafts I have purchased, no wobble.

When I go to Kmart or a similar store to buy house cues for my home pool table, I may need to go through 10 cues before I can find a straight one.

Bumps
05-26-2006, 11:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 66goat:</font><hr>My question is, how straight do you expect a $600-$700 cue to be when you purchase it? Should it be perfect, or is a little wobble to be expected.<hr /></blockquote>

Perfect, for that kind of money. Sad to think that Schon cues may have sunk that low.

Stretch
05-26-2006, 11:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy_Bob:</font><hr> I rest the tip on something like say the top of the computer monitor you are reading this on, then I slowly rotate the butt of the cue while looking down the shaft. There should be no wobble anywhere.

With the more expensive cues/shafts I have purchased, no wobble.

When I go to Kmart or a similar store to buy house cues for my home pool table, I may need to go through 10 cues before I can find a straight one.
<hr /></blockquote>

Hey Billy. That's the way i sight a cue too only i lift it up like a rifle and stretch my arm out to make a v-bridge. Then you spin the butt with your right hand fingers and look down the length as it turns. If there is the slightest bend you will see the tip wobble as it spins.

With a two piece cue you just need to roll the shaft. If that is fine but there is still a slight wobble when rolled together, it's a bad joint.

I've had plenty of cues. I expect at LEAST straight for anything that costs more than 80 bucks. Plus i'd never buy a cue of any value without shooting with it first, and whenever possible, getting to pick one out of a bunch. St.

Bob_Jewett
05-26-2006, 02:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 66goat:</font><hr> ... My question is, how straight do you expect a $600-$700 cue to be when you purchase it? Should it be perfect, or is a little wobble to be expected. ... <hr /></blockquote>
Contrary to some reports here, no cue is perfectly straight. The answer to your question requires a number in the answer, like 1/16-inch wobble when rolled with the joint and butt plate supported. Or....

The cue should be straight enough that the residual crookedness -- and there is always some -- does not affect your play. But that's just obvious. The question now becomes, how crooked does the cue have to be for it to become a problem? If I'm without my store-bought cue and the choice is between a bent cue with a good tip and a straight cue with a bad tip, I'll take the one with the good tip. I just rotate the cue until I find the spot where the crookedness disappears when I'm down on a shot. Quite bad cues can be "fixed" like this.

If some possible slight dog-leg in your own cue is worrisome, you can use an extension of the above idea. Mark the ferrule so that if the mark is up, your stick looks straight. There are other reasons as well to do that marking.

A shaft that is straight by itself to 1mm is pretty good, I think. I wouldn't be worried by 3mm wobble in the whole stick.

66goat
05-26-2006, 05:06 PM
WOW, 3mm in the whole stick. I guess I have been spoiled with my Meucci and Viking. My Meucci is still very straight, (some slight wobble, but no more than a couple of playing cards) and my Viking just a bit more than that. I've had the Meucci for 10 years and the Viking for 15. I just don't think that I should have to worry about spinning my $600 cue prior to a shot in order to make sure it's going to hit straight.

Thanks for all the comments. Keep em' coming. This has all been good so far.

walt8880
05-26-2006, 09:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote 66goat:</font><hr> ... My question is, how straight do you expect a $600-$700 cue to be when you purchase it? Should it be perfect, or is a little wobble to be expected. ... <hr /></blockquote>
Contrary to some reports here, no cue is perfectly straight. The answer to your question requires a number in the answer, like 1/16-inch wobble when rolled with the joint and butt plate supported. Or....

The cue should be straight enough that the residual crookedness -- and there is always some -- does not affect your play. But that's just obvious. The question now becomes, how crooked does the cue have to be for it to become a problem? If I'm without my store-bought cue and the choice is between a bent cue with a good tip and a straight cue with a bad tip, I'll take the one with the good tip. I just rotate the cue until I find the spot where the crookedness disappears when I'm down on a shot. Quite bad cues can be "fixed" like this.

If some possible slight dog-leg in your own cue is worrisome, you can use an extension of the above idea. Mark the ferrule so that if the mark is up, your stick looks straight. There are other reasons as well to do that marking.

A shaft that is straight by itself to 1mm is pretty good, I think. I wouldn't be worried by 3mm wobble in the whole stick. <hr /></blockquote>

Bob -

Can you comment a little more about other reasons for marking the ferrule. I saw soemthing about it, I think from you before, and at the time thought it sounded reasonable, but had forgotten it and now can't find it.

Thanks

Stretch
05-27-2006, 07:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote walt8880:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote 66goat:</font><hr> ... My question is, how straight do you expect a $600-$700 cue to be when you purchase it? Should it be perfect, or is a little wobble to be expected. ... <hr /></blockquote>

A shaft that is straight by itself to 1mm is pretty good, I think. I wouldn't be worried by 3mm wobble in the whole stick. <hr /></blockquote>

Bob -

Can you comment a little more about other reasons for marking the ferrule. I saw soemthing about it, I think from you before, and at the time thought it sounded reasonable, but had forgotten it and now can't find it.

Thanks <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Walt. It's not uncommon for players to "mark" thier cue in some way. Especialy if they are useing a cue with a long grain like Ash or Hickery. It may be too much a fine point to most but a cue will hit "slightly" different when hit with the grain as opposed to against the grain. I know in the case of snooker cues, they are usually notched at the butt end so they can be held in the same manour for every shot. Of coures this will ware your tip down faster on the side that is always being used. Personaly, my game such that it is would not benefit a whole lot from this. I think it's more of a sales pitch than anything. St.

Nostroke
05-27-2006, 08:35 AM
If you are a stickler like me and only want 'dead straight' buy it from a dealer who will order it for you and tell him you will only go through with it if it is 'dead straight'. Save you sending it back anyway and the dealer can always unload it to someone who isnt as picky as us.

I know a lil wobble is OK but i have a OCD in this area so i cant take it in a brand new cue.

Rich R.
05-27-2006, 01:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> Contrary to some reports here, no cue is perfectly straight. The answer to your question requires a number in the answer, like 1/16-inch wobble when rolled with the joint and butt plate supported. <hr /></blockquote>
I agree in the theory, no cue is perfectly straight. However, when buying a custom cue, I expect to be able to roll that cue on a pool table and not have any visible wobble. JMHO.

onepocketfanatic
05-27-2006, 06:25 PM
Tap tap tap on previous posts. For that kind of money I expect it to be straight with NO wobble. No matter who the maker is. If I want wobble I'll go spend 40-50 bucks.