PDA

View Full Version : Joint Pin Questions

Sid_Vicious
05-26-2006, 06:14 AM
Does the joint pin(alloy and thread count) on a wood to wood joint measureably affect the hit, either harder or softer? Tia...sid

Billy_Bob
05-26-2006, 09:28 AM
I read that someone conducted an experiment - they took several cues with different joints of all types and covered the joints with masking tape. Then had a bunch of players shoot with them and say which cue had the best "hit".

As I recall, there was not much of any agreement as to which cue had the best hit?

cheese_ball
05-26-2006, 10:31 AM
Billy_Bob

That's by far the dumbest thing I've ever heard... When running any sort of scientific experiment, you can only change ONE variable at a time. Since I assume that all of these were different cues, this experiment would be a total failure anyway. Let alone the fact that because cues are made of wood, NO 2 pieces of wood are alike.

Houston, we have a problem...

Cornerman
05-26-2006, 12:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheese_ball:</font><hr> Billy_Bob

That's by far the dumbest thing I've ever heard... When running any sort of scientific experiment, you can only change ONE variable at a time. Since I assume that all of these were different cues, this experiment would be a total failure anyway. <hr /></blockquote>LOL!! The problem is that the report was incorrect. The test was to cover the joints and see if you could tell what kind of joint it was just from hitting balls, not which one hits the best.

Fred

Cornerman
05-26-2006, 12:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Does the joint pin(alloy and thread count) on a wood to wood joint measureably affect the hit, either harder or softer? Tia...sid <hr /></blockquote>I personally don't think so.

Fred

Bob_Jewett
05-26-2006, 03:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cornerman:</font><hr> ... LOL!! The problem is that the report was incorrect. The test was to cover the joints and see if you could tell what kind of joint it was just from hitting balls, not which one hits the best. <hr /></blockquote>
For those who would like to see the original description of the test by the guy who ran the test, see:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.sport.billiard/msg/3a4dbd5e53265c42

Sadly, John died a couple of years ago. He was the sort who didn't much care for BS and superstition.

Sid_Vicious
05-27-2006, 12:15 PM
Thanks everyone, and for the link to John's article. He was local here in Dallas, with his unmistakable voice, if you know what I mean...sid

ceebee
05-27-2006, 04:31 PM
My 2 cents is NO.

I have several cues, made by several different Cue Makers. They have Ivory joints, they have Stainless Steel joints, they have Mastodon joints &amp; they have Implex joints.

They also have different screw sizes &amp; thread pitches. Some have piloted joints, some don't. They are all great cues &amp; have a great hit.

I believe a great Cue is a sum of it's parts. My friend has a production McDermott, that I would give all my cues for. It is 30 years old &amp; in pristine condition. It has a hit to die for. I had a Jim Ingram Cue that had a better hit, but I sold it to make $400 bucks (I am dumb, dumb, &amp; dumber).

Dr. Cue has the ultimate Cue, you simply hold it in place &amp; PULL the Trigger.

Cueless Joey
05-28-2006, 12:08 AM
The radial or 3/8 11 are the best imo.
They are tighter and has less bend than the small pins.
Might not affect the hit but you don't have to keep retightening your cue over and over again during a match.
A 5/16 14 pin gets loose easily.

Rich R.
05-28-2006, 04:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ceebee:</font><hr>I have several cues, made by several different Cue Makers. They have Ivory joints, they have Stainless Steel joints, they have Mastodon joints &amp; they have Implex joints.

They also have different screw sizes &amp; thread pitches. Some have piloted joints, some don't. They are all great cues &amp; have a great hit.<hr /></blockquote>Although I won't provide a name, without his permission, but one of the top cue makers in the country once told me, "any type of joint will have a good feel, as long as it is done correctly."

I think Ceebee's statement supports that fact.

Sid_Vicious
05-28-2006, 08:50 AM
I have that loosening problem with a recent new cue purchase. All my other w-w shafts are snug when screwing together, but the latest with the differing pin does not. I'll try adding a pic...can you tell what I have by this photo???sid

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/1086/pinnewcue6pv.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Bumps
05-28-2006, 12:31 PM
Looks like a radial pin. Have you used this kind of pin before? When I got my first ever radial pin cue, it seemed like the cue didn't go together tight. I never had it loosen up, though. Just expected it to. {looks puzzled, disgruntled}

9_Ball_Junky
05-28-2006, 11:46 PM
idk what kind of joint that is sid, but thats a damn nice lookin cue.......what is it just curious.....

j

Rich R.
05-29-2006, 04:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9_Ball_Junky:</font><hr> idk what kind of joint that is sid, <hr /></blockquote>It's definitely a radial pin, like Bumps said.

Cornerman
05-29-2006, 11:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I have that loosening problem with a recent new cue purchase. All my other w-w shafts are snug when screwing together, but the latest with the differing pin does not. I'll try adding a pic...can you tell what I have by this photo???sid
<hr /></blockquote>There were issues with the original radial pin fit. The pin was too loose in the mating threads.Whoever built this cue should be aware of that and should have made corrections by now. The loose radial pin issue has been known for several years.

Fred

Cueless Joey
05-29-2006, 01:38 PM
The old radial pin had a long pilot.
The ones I have a shorter pilot.
The taps for them also come in two sizes.
I'm just going to avoid all these problems and am going to put an insert on all shafts I make.
A 2.5" Delrin, threaded at the bottom 1 inch so it doesn't slip from the shaft.
I've already have one on my breaker and it works fine. Since Delrin is forever lubricated, there'd be no tightening problems.

Sid_Vicious
05-30-2006, 07:15 AM
I was a little leary about the long turns on this pin but hoped it to be "just me." Wish I hadn't gotten the second shaft built at build time now, but that's yesterday and it's gone now. I may try the car wax in the insert trick to see if I can tighten it up a bit. Thanks...sid