PDA

View Full Version : Drawing the cue ball

Pogue
07-08-2002, 11:09 PM
How do you draw your cue ball back? I try to lift up the back of my stick and hit the ball fast, but a lot of times my cue ball does not hit where I want it to when I do that. I see other players do it so easily, I am very frustrated that I cannot do it so easily. Sometimes my ball does draw back, but not like other players I see.. Is there anyone who can help me?

Pogue

Cueless Joey
07-08-2002, 11:59 PM
Wet your tip, make sure all traces of chalk are gone. Poke at the ball and pull back the stick as fast as you can then jump up.

07-09-2002, 12:31 AM
Don't fall for it, Joey. It's Pogue the prankster at it again.

Fran

Cueless Joey
07-09-2002, 12:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Fran Crimi:</font><hr> Don't fall for it, Joey. It's Pogue the prankster at it again.

Fran <hr></blockquote>
Thanks for the tip Fran. Let me edit that.

Rod
07-09-2002, 12:47 AM
Pogue,
The important part is hitting the c/b exactly where you intend. Most people I see with this problem do not have their tip near low enough for effective draw. The ones that do aim low enough and still can't draw are making a maneuver with their back hand. This is caused by lowering the back of the cue before impact and hitting the c/b closer to center. Dropping the elbow is probably the cause.
There is no need to jack up the cue, you may be doing that and lowering the butt as I mentioned. Hitting it fast is not a solution either, that may cause you to jerk the stroke and not hit where you aim.

My solution,
Go back to the basics, low brige, the hand is flat and firmly planted on the table. Center ball, the bridge is raised slightly or more of a cupped hand and so untill it's even higher for top english. The cue angle is as level as possible. Bridge length is 7" to 10".
Practice draw shots where the c/b is 2' or less from the o/b. As you feel more confident increase the distance. You do need confidence first. The stroke is a smooth accleration through the c/b. Any attempt to hit at the c/b usually ends up with a short cut off follow through. It is more than possible to draw the c/b with that type of stroke but control of the c/b is difficult. As they say, the c/b doesn't lie.

Rod
07-09-2002, 12:52 AM
Fran, I'm taking it as a legit question. Should it not be it may help someone else.

07-09-2002, 01:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Fran Crimi:</font><hr> Don't fall for it, Joey. It's Pogue the prankster at it again.

Fran <hr></blockquote>

well, i wondered about it when i saw it but it figured what the heck, it's always good to get some "how to" stuff out there once in a while. or maybe someone else has expropriated the name pogue? how likely izzit that he would sign his own name.

anyway, i'd rather have a lively discussion on draw than some of the stuff goin on roun here lately.

dan

Pogue
07-09-2002, 02:59 AM
Whut?

Okay, okay.. But I feel I must clarify my "prankster" status.. I am no troll, I just like to pop in every so often to do a (rather good) imitation of our good ole' friend Patrick. I just thought I'd drop in to say hi to everyone and say I'm kinda feeling like getting back into pool again, as I am soon leaving the military. Hopefully, before too long, I can afford to start buying a house to put around my pool table. Sorry if I bothered anyone, but I'm glad you remember me Fran, as I truly thought it would be Smorgass who ratted me out, as I sold him all my Accu-Stats tapes two weeks ago. It's good to be back...

Pogue

Rod
07-09-2002, 03:19 AM
I knew who it was Russ, and I didn't think it was an imatation. I figured your game was bad as usual and needed the help./ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Pogue
07-09-2002, 03:24 AM
Who are you? How do you know my true identity? And what have you done with my cat!!! How do you know my game is bad at this point in time??? (They're watching me, mother!! I told you.. I'm going to get my tin foil helmet now, they cannot find out the pool secrets locked within the treasure chest of my psyche.. Distract them while I make my exit...)

Pogue

cheesemouse
07-09-2002, 06:47 AM
Fran,
Thanks for the heads-up...I suspected it was a tongue in cheek post but wasn't sure and I was about to waist some time on a 'how to' post. I do have a question for you though. When instructing a student who can't draw the ball or does it wrong; have you ever tried slipping in a cueball that is a couple grams lighter than the object balls just for demonstration purposes so the student can get good feed back early on in the lesson? I know it sounds deceptive but it is a win/win if the student turns on to the lesson and sees the light. When you slip the regular cue ball back in you can just tell them to make a better follow through to get the same results. I always fess-up later when they have made the transition to the proper technique......just wondering???

07-09-2002, 06:57 AM
In my opinion, there really are no training wheels to drawing the cue-ball. Using a tricked-up cue-ball won't solve the problem of an undeveloped stroke. My best approach is getting them to actually try to miscue by hitting it too low.

The way I see it, miscuing (scooping) is part of the learning process. It teaches the shooter the lowest point of the cue-ball they can hit. Once you take away the embarrassing, negative stigmatism associated with watching a cue-ball fly off the table and make them understand that this is all part of the learning process, I assure you, they'll be drawing in no time. They'll also be amazed by how low you really can hit it without miscuing, especially when you chalk-up sufficiently. My belief is that most people fail to draw correctly because of feaar of embarrassment more then anything else.

Jude M. Rosenstock

Rip
07-09-2002, 07:21 AM
You need a can of DRAW-BAK! Spray it on the cue ball and you too will be drawing the cue ball like a PRO! Order today and get a free Slim Whitman CD. We have operators standing by, no COD's please. Rip /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Pogue:</font><hr> How do you draw your cue ball back? I try to lift up the back of my stick and hit the ball fast, but a lot of times my cue ball does not hit where I want it to when I do that. I see other players do it so easily, I am very frustrated that I cannot do it so easily. Sometimes my ball does draw back, but not like other players I see.. Is there anyone who can help me?

Pogue <hr></blockquote>

9 Ball Girl
07-09-2002, 07:33 AM
May I suggest that you use a closed hand bridge. This should prevent your cue from moving up to the center of the cue ball when you strike. And follow through. Some people make the mistake of jabbing at the CB when they draw because they think the CB is going to come back immediately (except if you're drawing back a short distance). The CB will usually hesitate on the way back because it has to slide first.

07-09-2002, 02:46 PM
Good to see you, Pogue. Forget you? Nah, you're infamous.

For the more recent posters, Pogue's a knowledgable player and has a lot of good stuff to share, that is...when he's not pretending he's someone else.

Well, at least you used your name this time!

Fran

phil in sofla
07-09-2002, 03:11 PM
Oh boy, it hurts when you shoot the water you're drinking out your nose with explosive laughter, which I did when I read your 'advice.' ROFLMAO!