PDA

View Full Version : 9-Ball Racking Template

Bob_Jewett
05-26-2006, 02:59 PM
If you would like to see what a tight rack breaks like at nine ball without buying a Sardo, check out item 41 at http://www.sfbilliards.com/misc.htm which is a set of templates for nine ball. Print out a sheet (start with 56mm), carefully punch holes at the indicated spots, rack on top of the template, and you can get a tight rack on most tables, even on pitted ones. You break with the template in place.

If the balls are loose, they are probably worn down from use, and you will need to use a smaller template. You want to use a template just a little smaller than the balls (2.25 inch ~= 57mm) so that the balls are pressed together slightly.

It may be that your printer doesn't accurately feed paper, in which case the template may be a little wide or narrow, and you will have to adjust where you punch the holes a little.

LastBall
05-27-2006, 12:32 AM
Sorry Bob I don't have ready access to a table but I am curious to know how the paper reacts during the break. Does it fly off or float away? How much noise does it make? Does the paper hold up well or does it get damaged quickly? Just curious.

Bob_Jewett
05-29-2006, 09:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote LastBall:</font><hr> Sorry Bob I don't have ready access to a table but I am curious to know how the paper reacts during the break. Does it fly off or float away? How much noise does it make? Does the paper hold up well or does it get damaged quickly? Just curious. <hr /></blockquote>
The paper does get worn for the head ball as I recall, but it is the back edge of the hole that gets the abuse. The paper normally stays in place during the break. A more permanent template can be made from transparency (Mylar?) film, but you have to be careful to get the kind that doesn't melt in your laser printer. Alternatively, you can make a paper template and use it to mark the holes for the Mylar template.