PDA

View Full Version : Rail shots with Inside english

ANGEBONES
05-28-2006, 03:53 PM
Whenever I shoot a shot thats on a rail with inside english I overcut the ball, missing by as much as a foot. It is terrible. How can I fix this?

Mikey0717
05-28-2006, 07:09 PM
I would suggest before playing in matches practice those shoots until you make it at least 5-10 times in a row

ANGEBONES
05-28-2006, 07:30 PM
Thanks Mike, I'll try that. You know who this is right?

Mikey0717
05-28-2006, 07:42 PM
Don't tell me it's angelo

TennesseeJoe
05-29-2006, 07:21 AM
There are two things that could be happening. The cueball is hitting the rail to far away from the object ball or the cueball is hitting the object ball to full.

If you practice this shot with inside English try this:
1. Always set up the shot exactly the same way.
2. Shoot with the same speed and English.
3. Try to hit the rail first so the cueball depresses the rail and slides into the object ball.

Once you can make the ball consistently, the try a different cue ball distance so you can adjust to the various amounts of deflection and swerve.

Cueless Joey
05-29-2006, 07:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ANGEBONES:</font><hr> Whenever I shoot a shot thats on a rail with inside english I overcut the ball, missing by as much as a foot. It is terrible. How can I fix this? <hr /></blockquote>
Obviously, you don't have a good feel for your cue's squirt or cueball deflection.
You need to get a good feel of it on different distances and different speeds.

ANGEBONES
05-29-2006, 08:05 AM
1)Yes Mike, Its Angelo hehe.
2)I do believe it has to do with me not for accounting for deflection at all, or to much.
3)I will shoot the shot 10-15 times and tell you which it is.

Sid_Vicious
05-29-2006, 08:24 AM
Here's my personal way of hitting the rail balls. I index and aim off of the inside cresent intersection the OB and CB makes as depicted in this Wei layout, and I use the low english as well, but not as extreme as the CB aim dot in the picture, that's just for your mental imagery at lining up the aim. A friend of mine hits these shots the same with no low, but I find it easier to see the tiny aim point, plus the low seems to be more consistent for me. You'll think you are hitting it too full, as the 5 ball(imaginary CB at contact when mentally imaged at stroke) shows. For me, there are only slight adjustments needed between different cues with this method. If the OB happens to be off of the rail just a tad, I aim a little fuller into the OB and make some nifty cuts from distances. That sounds strange, I know. Maybe it'll help you and maybe it's just my own concotion or bandaid for myself...sid

START(
%Ar9L3%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%Er4M3%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%PT9R0%eA4b5
)END

Billy_Bob
05-29-2006, 10:30 AM
There is a thing called throw. The friction between the two balls makes the object ball "skid" depending on the hit.

Set up the same exact shot and experiment with the shots below. Mark the placement of the balls on the table with chalk. (This is assuming you have mastered cue ball deflection and can send the cue ball to the same exact spot as a dead center hit when using english.)

Throw with different hits...

Soft = more throw.
Inside English = more throw.

Follow or draw = less throw.

Hard = least throw.
Outside English = least throw.

***Most throw &gt;&gt;&gt;

1. +3.7 degrees
Soft stun

Soft medium roll (Slow roll follow), one tip inside english soft, two tips inside english soft

3. -1 degree
Hard follow, medium draw, hard draw, hard stun, 1 tip inside English hard, two tips inside English hard

One tip outside English

5. -4.3 degrees
Two tips outside english

&lt;&lt;&lt; Least throw***

houseman
05-29-2006, 11:23 AM
When I shoot these shots I just remember that its the same shot as if the object
ball is off the rail a little, I just pretend the rail isn`t there and fire the shot in.