PDA

View Full Version : practice drills

Mikey0717
05-28-2006, 07:05 PM
Hey i was wondering what are some good practice drills to improve your game?

tjlmbklr
05-28-2006, 08:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Mikey0717:</font><hr> Hey i was wondering what are some good practice drills to improve your game? <hr /></blockquote>

I hate to be that guy but they are all over this and other websites. Do a search you'll find them, I myself after finaly getting my dream of a pool table and a room to acomidate it, put a binder together with a series of progressive drills. They consist of anything from easy stroke drills , to multiple rail posistion shots. I have about 40 pages and it is about 90% complete. There are many places to download pictures of tables to print.

Hope this helps.

Rich R.
05-29-2006, 04:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Mikey0717:</font><hr> Hey i was wondering what are some good practice drills to improve your game? <hr /></blockquote>
I don't have this book, but I have heard some very good things about it.
Steve is a good guy too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
http://members.aol.com/blkbeltbilliards/

Billy_Bob
05-29-2006, 09:27 AM
Capelle has a new book out called "Practicing Pool". Here is the only place on the internet I can find that has it now...
https://billiardspress.com/booksordering.html

dr_dave
05-29-2006, 11:06 AM
FYI, I have a few links to some drills here (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/resources/index.html).

Regards,
Dave

Morris183
02-10-2007, 08:15 AM
I've played off and on for many years but never had the time or desire to play consistantly and try Tournaments. Presently I have more time as well as a 41/2 by 9 table at home. What I don't know is how should I start when I'm alone. What I presently do is play myself a game of 8 Ball. I'm a person who loves to have a set type of practice as I do in Golf. TIA. Moe

bradb
02-10-2007, 11:11 AM
Jeanette Lees Q &amp; A column has some very good comments on this. In fact I find she has some very interesting comments on pool in general thats very helpful.

ceebee
02-10-2007, 09:37 PM
The first goal has to be a straight &amp; accurate stroke, without this, the rest is a waste.

Then speed becomes the next goal. (cue ball speed control, before &amp; after impact)

Pattern Shots are great drills, while learning to stop the cue ball at different points along the cue ball path, after impact. (i.e. 1 rail, 2 rail, 3 rail)

Practice in these areas will get you started.

JimS
02-10-2007, 09:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Morris183:</font><hr> I've played off and on for many years but never had the time or desire to play consistantly and try Tournaments. Presently I have more time as well as a 41/2 by 9 table at home. What I don't know is how should I start when I'm alone. What I presently do is play myself a game of 8 Ball. I'm a person who loves to have a set type of practice as I do in Golf. TIA. Moe <hr /></blockquote>

I recommend you take a lesson or two from a good teacher. You'll discover the flaws in your fundamentels and be instructed as to the drills you need to use to improve way beyond where you've ever been.

You'll have fun and improve.

Morris183
02-10-2007, 10:01 PM
Thank you all for your responses. I'm involved in a number of activities including Investing and use the Internet and chat rooms often. The courtesy and professionalism shown here is the best on the Internet. Moe

jjinfla
02-11-2007, 07:51 AM
I really liked Steve Campana's book and also Bert Kinester's 60 minute drill. That's enough to last two years of hard work. Two to three hours per day.

I still think the best drill is to just start pocketing balls. 20 racks a day at least. When you come across a shot that you miss make that your drill shot and keep practicing it until you can make it 95% of the time. Easy shots you have to make 100% of the time.

Too much work for me. An awful lot to learn. I am now shifting my energy to ping pong. I get more exercise, less irritation, and no smoke in my body.

Good luck,

Jake

SPetty
02-11-2007, 06:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr>I am now shifting my energy to ping pong. I get more exercise, less irritation, and no smoke in my body.<hr /></blockquote>Howdy Jake,

Is that true, or are you just funning with us? My nephew wants me to take out one of my pool tables and put in a ping pong table...

dr_dave
02-12-2007, 09:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Morris183:</font><hr> I've played off and on for many years but never had the time or desire to play consistantly and try Tournaments. Presently I have more time as well as a 41/2 by 9 table at home. What I don't know is how should I start when I'm alone. What I presently do is play myself a game of 8 Ball. I'm a person who loves to have a set type of practice as I do in Golf. TIA. Moe<hr /></blockquote>
When alone, I like practicing 9-ball. Whenever I miss a shot or don't execute a safety perfectly, I try the shot over and over again to try to figure out why I missed it and to practice my weak points. I don't move on until I make the shot several times in a row. I think this is much more fun than regular drills. Also, it forces me to practice only my weak points (while still having fun trying to run racks).

Regards,
Dave

bradb
02-12-2007, 01:12 PM
I practice as if I'm in a game and I switch sides playing an imaginary opponent.
I would lose track sometimes, so I put on a base ball hat when my adversary was shooting.

One day my wife came down to do something and I was so intent I did'nt notice her. Finally after observing me she came over and exclaimed,
"why can't you make up your mind?...either play with the hat on or off!" /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif