PDA

View Full Version : Steve Mizerak Passes away

cueball1950
05-29-2006, 08:42 PM
AZ billiards has posted the notice of the passing of Steve Mizerak. May the Miz RIP and my prayers go out to his family during this very trying time................mike

cueball1950
05-29-2006, 09:51 PM
I remember getting steve's autograph last year at the Tribute they had for him at the U S Open. He was such a gentle giant of a man who would stay and sign autographs as long as people wanted them. even in his deteriating condition....go wit PEACE STEVE>>>>>>.......mike

cueball1950
05-29-2006, 10:34 PM
bump to the top...for everybody to see.......mike

Scott Lee
05-29-2006, 10:37 PM
R.I.P. Miz...

Scott Lee

thecardman
05-30-2006, 02:42 AM
Just a personal ramble...

The first time I encountered The Miz was when he played Steve Davis in the 1987 Fiat Snooker-Pool Challenge in St Moritz, Switzerland. It was a 3-leg challenge match that involved Straight Pool, Snooker and 9 Ball and was designed to introduce the pool disciplines to the UK audience and snooker to the American audience.

Sadly, on the videotape of the challenge that was later released in the UK, there was no footage of Mizerak playing Straight Pool, but there he showed that he could hold his own at Snooker. Then, when it came to 9 Ball, we finally got to see "The Mizerak Stroke".

Last year, I had the thrill of actually meeting the man himself when I went to the US Open. When he was introduced to the crowd at the main TV table in the Conference Centre, it is safe to say that there were few dry eyes as he was given a standing ovation by every member of that audience (I know that I had to wipe my eyes a couple of times). At the dinner that was organised to celebrate his career, I stood and spoke with him for a few minutes before the speeches took place.

He even signed the cover of my Fiat Challenge video.

A great player and, from the stories that were told that evening, a fantastic person. He will be missed.

thecardman
/ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Rich R.
05-30-2006, 03:26 AM
R.I.P. Steve.

The Miz at the 2005 U.S. Open.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid189/p091dcdd75aef193fbca404a228b4f128/f20ccd40.jpg

pooltchr
05-30-2006, 04:20 AM
This is extremely disturbing to hear. My prayers go out to his family. The pool world has lost a truely great player.
Steve

Sarcastro
05-30-2006, 05:59 AM
The Miz http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAzXFZxVG9k

Deeman3
05-30-2006, 06:19 AM
A nice guy and great player.

Deeman

dg-in-centralpa
05-30-2006, 06:40 AM
I,too, met him at the US Open, and am glad I got his autograph. While I understand that he wasn't the most pleasant of people, he mellowed out once he realized that he is mortal. May he rest in peace.

DG

Brian in VA
05-30-2006, 06:50 AM
Rest well Miz. You were one of the best "even when you were just showin' off!"

Brian in VA

DickLeonard
05-30-2006, 06:59 AM
Cueball 1950 may Big Steve Rest in Peace. My best memory of Steve was his playing my mentor Joe Canton in the 1966 Salt City Open in Syracuse at the Holiday Billiards.

Steve was on the end rail and played a shot and you could hear the clunk of the cueball, you knew a skid was coming but instead of missing the shot the ball skidded into the pocket and he finished running 79 and out on Joe. In all my years of playing that was the only ball I ever saw made with the dread Skid.####

Fran Crimi
05-30-2006, 08:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Brian in VA:</font><hr> Rest well Miz. You were one of the best "even when you were just showin' off!"

Brian in VA <hr /></blockquote>

I think that Miller Lite commercial was the best pool commercial ever. I never got tired of seeing it and it always made me smile. He was the greatest in it.

Rest In Peace, Miz. We're all going to miss you.

Fran

dutchboy
05-30-2006, 10:32 AM
As a fairly new player to the game, it was and still is my great pleasure to watch and study many matches of Steve’s courtesy of Accu-Stats prod. What makes these matches so extraordinary for me is the ability to observe him at the table…his generalship, ability to re-group, the great stroke and pattern play…to hear the myriad of commentators, Bill Staton, Grady, Varner, Di Libertto and John Ervolino just to name a few, discuss Miz in depth, not just the obvious qualities he possessed, but the small aspects that you might not be able to see or hear about…Bill Staton praised Mizerak on what he termed “the center ball style” of playing straight pool. How he cut down on spinning the ball and perfected a natural angle method of play, using English as perhaps a “Third language” instead of a second…They all thought he was the prettiest player at the table to watch, they all wanted the Mizerak stroke…Grady spoke of him as the greatest straight pool player of all time by virtue of the fact that he won more tournaments with more players capable of running a hundred balls then any other player in history. His ball per-inning average was I believe thirty five and this included safety play…the highest recorded. To my knowledge {please someone correct me if I’m wrong} he still holds the record of 153 and out in a professional tournament. 1993 Cleveland. Although a lefty, I watched his matches by turning to a mirror, observing him as a right-hander, as I do with Sigel, trick I learned from the great Bruce Lee who studied Joe Louis to adapt his punches to the south-paw style… for me, having him on film has been a watershed of inspiration and just the best training aid anyone could ask for…my teachers are Varner, Sigel, Miz, Di Liberto, Staton, Butera, Hopkins, Rempe, West, the great Ray Martin, Ortmann just to name a few….but, Miz was my favorite, always will be…my thoughts go to his family and while I never got the chance to meet the big man, he’s here on my screen everyday…

DickLeonard
06-01-2006, 05:56 AM
Dutchboy Steve was Smooth as Silk.####

homepc
06-01-2006, 07:01 AM
I actully recorded the Snooker-Pool Challenge matches on VHS. About 2 months ago, I was looking through all my old pool videos and found the Snooker-Pool Challenge one. I watched it just the other day. I have the Snooker match, the 8-ball match and the 14.1 match. The quality is not great, but not too bad either. It was a pleasure to watch Steve play.