View Full Version : I blame GW

Qtec
05-30-2006, 08:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sources: Lawmakers told to brace for Haditha fallout
Charges of murder, cover-up possible against Marines
From Jamie McIntyre
CNN

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Some members of Congress have been told to brace for the fallout from potential charges of murder and cover-up stemming from an inquiry into an alleged massacre of Iraqi civilians by U.S. Marines, sources say.

Military investigators strongly suspect that what happened in the western Iraqi city of Haditha last November was a rampage by a small number of Marines who snapped after one of their own was killed by a roadside bomb, the sources told CNN.

Pentagon sources told CNN that at least 24 Iraqis were killed.(Watch for specifics on where and when they died -- 1:57)

Sources told CNN on Monday that the investigation is substantially complete, and that charges -- including murder charges -- could be filed sometime in June. And, sources said, investigators have concluded there was a cover-up -- but won't say if it is limited to the handful of Marines who did the killings.

The formal findings of investigations into the matter are several weeks away, said Gen. Peter Pace, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Pace cautioned against a rush to judgment.

"There are two ongoing investigations," he told CNN. "One has to do with what happened. The other investigation goes to why didn't we know about it sooner than we knew about it."

Pace said the investigations may not be complete for "a couple of weeks," adding, "We should not prejudge the outcome."

IED first blamed for deaths
The U.S. military had previously refused to believe villagers who accused the Marines of murdering unarmed civilians, even when presented with credible evidence assembled by Time magazine for an article in March.

"They were incredibly hostile," said Time's Aparisim Ghosh. "They accused us of buying into enemy propaganda, and they stuck to their original story, which is that these people were all killed by the IED [improvised explosive device]."

But that story has fallen apart in the wake of an investigation that sources said is likely to result in murder charges against some Marines and dereliction of duty counts against others.

Sources said between four and eight Marines from Kilo company of the 3rd Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, were directly involved -- but some Marines from other units knew what happened because they helped document the aftermath.

Lance Cpl. Ryan Briones told the Los Angeles Times that he took pictures of at least 15 bodies and is still haunted by the memory of picking up a young girl who was shot in the head. (Full story)

"I held her out like this," he said, demonstrating with his arms extended, "but her head was bobbing up and down and the insides fell on my legs."

Briones' mother, Susie Briones, told CNN her son is now suffering from post-traumatic stress.

"It was horrific," she said. "It was a terrible scene. The biggest thing that comes to his mind is the children.

"Since he was part of the cleanup crew, he had to carry that little girl's body, and her head was blown off," she said. "Her brains splattered on his boots. And that is what affected Brian the most."

<hr /></blockquote>

Q

Gayle in MD
05-31-2006, 08:45 AM
Amazing, how the stupidity and corruption of one man, namely, George Bush, could cause so much devastation for so many people in the world, and our troops in particular. I would have thought that even the crooked, corrupt republicans, would have enough loyalty to step up to the plate to stop an obviously incompetent President and Secretary of Defense from devastating our own troops.

Iraq is a lost cause, was a lost cause when we went in, and will never be anything but a lost cause. You can't turn around hundreds of years of ignorance and cut-throat ruthlessness with bombs, and too few troops. Rumsfeld, Rice, Cheney and Bush should be prosecuted for dereliction of duty, and our troops should get the psychological help they need to help them to overcome their personal distresses after five years of inhumane abuse from this administration.

Four and five re-deployments, being caught in the middle of an un-named civil war, with no leadership from the top, and no allies in the Congress and Senate, save John Murtha, and John Kerry to speak up for them. What a disgrace! I don't know how the hell Bush and Rumsfeld had the nerve to speak on Memorial Day about honoring our troops when they have denied them decent equipment, left them in an unwinnable war, and cut financial aid for Veterans, but it will be our over worked, over stressed, men in uniform who will pay for it, while Bush, Rumsfeld, Cheney and Rice, will get off scott free!

This happened in November, and has been covered up. Is there any wonder why Bush is out to besmirch the media and journalists for doing their job? The war is making progress, it's just the pictures of the war that aren't going well! I'd like to know exactly when Rumsfeld and Bush heard about this unfortunate turn of events....long before the story broke, I'm sure. Nothing but heartbreak and tragedy will come of this occupation, and the Bush Presidency.

Gayle in Md.

Cueless Joey
05-31-2006, 08:59 AM
I blame Al Gore.
He should have ridden that Clinton convoy to the office. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Maybe they'd draft the Bush twins and send them Iraq.

Gayle in MD
05-31-2006, 09:22 AM
I'd like to see that! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif