PDA

View Full Version : Gambling Damage Your League Game?

Sid_Vicious
05-30-2006, 09:54 AM
I was chastised by a team mate the other day, "How come you don't compete in league like you do when you gamble?!", and internally I know it's far from the same pressure, but yet I also acknowledge that in fact I find myself kinda bored with non gambling play. I also have see many of the regular gamblers move onto a league team over the years, and they were puny in that venue, so it makes me wonder if the addiction to playing for money really has a detrimental effect on your other play outside of money pool. Thoughts???sid

Billy_Bob
05-30-2006, 10:15 AM
Around here, the players who regularly play in money tournaments (and win) and play one on one for money are the best players in the area.

And some of these people do not play in leagues.

I think the best players in my area can be found at money tournaments. (The players who get in the money usually.)

Sid_Vicious
05-30-2006, 12:00 PM
How do those players who gamble AND play league, do on league compared to their stated best label???sid

bsmutz
05-30-2006, 12:53 PM
It seems logical to assume that league play equals less pressure so that one would tend to shoot with less concentration or maybe less intensity. I don't have enough personal experience to offer much more than that. Given that league play usually involves a team made up of players with varying abilities and commitment to winning, I would say gambling one-on-one is a much more personal and intense type of situation where one would almost always be trying to play at their highest level (unless they are hustling). I could see where a high level player might back off of their game some during league play where the competition might not be as talented as they are used to. It seems like a lot of people in my area tend to treat league play as more of a "fun" activity than as a serious competition.

Sid_Vicious
05-30-2006, 01:25 PM
In my personal case, I get much more pressured during league, and a money game is always there to be bought for another bullet, hence I feel far less pressure for a one on one money game. One thing else I believe I've sensed during league evening performances, is that I'm a little distracted with the thought of not being on a non league table with an individual, instead of wading through 3 games of 9 ball or 2 games of 8, and then having to sit out until my next round to play. Bottomline though, is that I'm VERY serious when I am actually playing a set for the team and tend to break down easier, hence the question in the original post...sid

McKinneyMiner
05-30-2006, 03:46 PM
I know that during league it never seems like I have a feel for the table, opponents, etc. until the end of the evening.

By that time sometimes I am 1-3 in 8-ball or 2-5 in 9-ball and I have let my teammates down.

I think there is a lot more pressure in league because you really only can expect a single chance to make good. No race or ahead set to ease your way into the match.

In the past I have been a pretty tough customer for the money, but this year in 9-ball league I am under .500 against people I am just as good as if not better than.

Go figure.

Billy_Bob
05-31-2006, 02:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> How do those players who gamble AND play league, do on league compared to their stated best label??? <hr /></blockquote>

One guy who frequently wins tournaments around here joined APA 8-ball and went right to a 7. I don't know what he is rated elsewhere.

Another guy who is rated "A" was the best rating for BCA league as I recall.

These guys don't usually play in league though. They will just play because a friend is forming a team and needs a player. I think they just do it for fun. Not a regular thing for them.

pooltchr
05-31-2006, 04:12 PM
I manage to stay pretty focused regardless of what the particular match is. Gambling offers the ability to won or lose on your own. If you are playing league, you have others on your team depending on you. It's a different kind of pressure, but if you don't want to let down your team, you will play with the same intensity.
Steve