PDA

View Full Version : For what it is worth...

bsmutz
05-30-2006, 10:54 AM
...and it probably ain't much. Just wanted to pass along another of my experiences. I've been playing pretty much every day for the past two years plus a couple of months (when I bought my pool table). I felt like I've been making progress, though not as quickly as one might hope. I am terrible about doing drills. My usual routine has been throwing out a rack of balls and shooting them in. Then I play 8-ball until I run a rack, then 9-ball until I run two racks, then straight pool. Sometimes I never made it to 9-ball and rarely made it to straight pool. (I know I should be playing straight in most people's opinion, but I've always sucked at it so less frustrating to play the easier games.) Prior to April, I was getting better at running the 8-ball rack but not much better at 9-ball. A little over a month ago, I finally got my snooker table set up. I changed my routine to 8, 9, then snooker or just snooker.
I made a switch several months ago to a cue with a larger diameter tip and continued to use it for both games. While playing snooker one night a few weeks ago, I switched back to a cue with a smaller diameter tip and found I played better snooker with it (better control of the cue ball). I played for a week or so, switching back and forth depending on the game. I noticed that both games seemed to be suffering and finally decided it must be because I was switching cues. I decided to play both games with the smaller diameter. Within a couple of days, my pool game got noticeably better. Last Thursday, I ran the throw out, my 2nd rack of 8-ball, my 2nd rack of 9-ball, and got my highest run ever playing snooker (broke into the 50s, 14 ball run). Then Friday, I ran the throw out, my first game of 8-ball and 1st game of 9-ball. Saturday I just played 9-ball for awhile after running the 8-ball game and found I was running about half of the games I played which is way better than I've ever done before. Yesterday I played 8-ball on the snooker table for a few games with the big balls. I was able to run the rack on my third game. I had a sneaking suspicion that getting the snooker table was going to help my game overall, but I had no idea that it would be so fast and so dramatic. I realize that only a couple of weeks have passed and that really isn't enough time to make a blanket statement, but things sure are looking good from my current vantage point. Just wanted to share what's working for me, YMMV.

Billy_Bob
05-30-2006, 11:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bsmutz:</font><hr>...Yesterday I played 8-ball on the snooker table for a few games with the big balls. I was able to run the rack on my third game...<hr /></blockquote>

Geeze! That is amazing. Ya know they have that IPT qualifier tournament in the Seattle area coming up this weekend. If nothing else, may want to go watch, but with your kicks and banks, I'd bet you could do quite well... (He shoots kick shots and *makes* his balls quite frequently!)

Jillianís Seattle
June 2- June 4, 2006
731 Westlake Avenue N
Seattle, WA 98109
USA
Entry Fee: $1000.00 or $500.00

IPT qualifiers...
http://www.internationalpooltour.com/ipt_content/event_qualifiers/na_06_open_default.asp

wolfdancer
05-30-2006, 12:01 PM
Sure don't sound like that kitchen remodel is getting done...or even started.....

Bob_Jewett
05-30-2006, 12:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bsmutz:</font><hr> ... I played for a week or so, switching back and forth between cues depending on the game. I noticed that both games seemed to be suffering and finally decided it must be because I was switching cues. I decided to play both games with the smaller diameter. Within a couple of days, my pool game got noticeably better. ... <hr /></blockquote>
Probably due to the differing squirt of the two cues. Have you tried to estimate the difference between them?

bsmutz
05-30-2006, 12:35 PM
Unfortunately, I'm not that deep into the nuances of the game yet. While I have read the technique for determining the amount of squirt for a given cue, I have yet to try it with my own. The smaller diameter cue has a laminated shaft while the larger is a solid piece of maple. The smaller one is definitely a lot whippier.
Remodel? What remodel? Not sure I remember what you are talking about, WD... Definitely not going to be anywhere near Seattle this weekend. No aspirations of becoming a professional. Might try the monthly straight pool tourney at Sam's on Sunday, though, just to see where I'm at and pick up some pointers. I still hit too hard. I need to get better at moving the cue ball in smaller increments. Maybe I need to get one of those 5' or 6' tables installed, lol.