PDA

View Full Version : Joe Porper Traveling Case

9 Ball Girl
07-09-2002, 09:09 AM
Has anyone tried the Joe Porper traveling case? It's the only thing I see out there for traveling with your cue on airplanes. Thinking about getting one.

Wendy~~Have cue, will travel

cuechick
07-09-2002, 09:27 AM
YES! I highly recomend it. I used it for Vegas and felt like my cue and case were safe. I also kept it locked in my hotel room with some of my valuables in it through out my stay. It's a real bargin at 40.00. Worth the peace of mind.

07-09-2002, 12:08 PM
I use a softball bag that my husband bought at Target for $25. It isn't padded, but you can pack clothing in around your cue to protect it. I've used it twice already and haven't had any problems.

I've seen the Porper case and it looks like a good product. Just thought I'd offer an alternative. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Karla

JimS
07-09-2002, 12:18 PM
I haven't traveled and DON'T plan to but here's my two cents worth anyway.

Wouldn't it be better to spend more and have a hard case to put the cue case in? The way they throw stuff around and pile it one on top of another I'd not feel anywhere near safe with my cue case in a soft bag. I want STEEL all around my case! Kryptonite even!!

Rich R.
07-09-2002, 01:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: JimS:</font><hr> I haven't traveled and DON'T plan to but here's my two cents worth anyway.

Wouldn't it be better to spend more and have a hard case to put the cue case in? The way they throw stuff around and pile it one on top of another I'd not feel anywhere near safe with my cue case in a soft bag. I want STEEL all around my case! Kryptonite even!! <hr></blockquote>
I agree Jim. I want a little more than a piece of canvas between my J. Justis case and a baggage handler, and that is not even considering the cue sticks. The canvas is too easy to cut open.
Rich R.

Pizza Bob
07-09-2002, 01:26 PM
There was an alternative advertised in the latest issue of BD. A lockable, airline approved, poly hard case. Would expect it to be more than Porper's (this is not a case for your case, but a hard travel case for your cues - much like a rifle or bow case), but less than a Zero Halliburton. I believe there was a website listed in the ad, but I'm at work now and don't have access to the issue. Maybe someone out there can help us out?

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Michelle
07-09-2002, 01:35 PM
It has been a pretty popular case at our store, with it's greatest features being that it is insulated, can be locked with a padlock, and is afforable.

If you are looking for more protection, there is a product called "ship-a-cue" which is a hard case. It is basically a tubular case, made with a thick PVC-like material. It has a removable cap, with a pin that slides through, and is lockable as well. These cases do run between $70-120, though.

I also know someone who had Zero-Haliburton custom-make a case for him. They make gun cases, and don't have to change the specs on cue cases too much, though I'm sure they are quite pricey and have a considerable waiting period. I think you can get more info on their website.

9 Ball Girl
07-09-2002, 01:43 PM
Even if you put your cues in a hard case, don't you still have to check the hard case? When Tony went to Vegas, he had to check his case and then he told me that when he got to Vegas, his cues were not in their appropriate slots in the case! I figure with the Joe Porper case, you can unlock it, show the airport people your cue case and cues, stick it back in the travel case, lock it and have it checked. Yeah, the ground crew guys are careless in that they just fling things around and I can see a problem if the cues were housed in a soft case. I have the Joe Porper 2x4 oval and it's not a soft case so I'm hoping that it's not a problem.

Pizza Bob
07-10-2002, 07:32 AM
OK, OK, apparently noone was willing to pick-up the ball and run with it, so I'll do it myself. I checked the ad in BD last night - this case is very similar to an injection molded takedown shotgun case with a waffled foam rubber interior. I went to the website indicated, but got some rather bizzare responses from my browser, so we'll left that unsaid. Coincidentally, I received a Cabela's catalog in the mail yesterday. They have numerous takedown shotgun cases (running appx 32" - 36" x 14" x 5") that would be suitable for checked cue transport. These are made of plastic, aluminum or a combination of materials. All have the ability to secure them with both integral locks and padlocks. They range in price from about $70 (surprisingly this is an all aluminum case) to $180. I believe that Cabelas has a website (most likely: cabelas.com). As for the Zero Halliburton, they are almost too pretty a case to entrust to the baggage handlers - especially for what they cost. However, Muellers does carry them, and usually has them in stock. Just a few more alternatives.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Karatemom
07-10-2002, 07:55 AM
Have to agree with you there. Chris got one and used it for Vegas. He packed some things around it so it wouldn't boggle around on the trip there and back, but it works great.

The airline did check it, so all we had to do was unlock it and show them what was inside. It was quick and painless, unlike being pulled out of line to have your tweezers taken away from you and checking your shoes for explosives, LOL.

JMO

Heide

SpiderMan
07-10-2002, 09:30 AM
It will protect your "real" case from scratches and scuffs, but not against bending (with your cues inside!). Would you take your hard cue case (with cues inside), support it at each end on a crate, and sit on in the middle? The baggage gorillas will do that, and they'll put a steamer trunk on top /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

SpiderMan

07-10-2002, 12:22 PM
I believe that Dr. D had a shipping container with wheels and a handle that was actually MADE with the airlines in mind, it was equipped very well as I remember. Maybe she will read this and respond with that info.

In my personal opinion, I would rather spent the $150 or so bucks on this pre fab'd airline case than shop around just to save a few bucks. I owe that much respect to my prides and joys, and the cases they ride in...sid